1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d14a1 wild tuning

Discussion in '88-91 Honda Civic/CRX' started by vtecdream, Dec 12, 2011.

1. vtecdream

vtecdream New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hi everyone

i´m new in the forum

I´m tuning a 1990 HB civic dual carb D14a1 90hp

I get another engine and I´m working on it

I have bike keihin carbs (4)
    Bmc air filter to bike carbs
    D16y8 head gasket (thinner)
    D13 pistons set (increase compression ratio)
    D15b non vtec camshaft from a 1.5 dual carb CRX 103 hp
    the head it´s port and polished
    Toyosports exhaust manifold
    toyosports D-series clutch

now I´m disapointed about D14 connecting rods, they´re too damn thin, so I want to change rods but I just can´t find stronger connecting rods to my d14 block :help:

I´m not looking for any special brand, since any should be better than oem parts

:help:

cheers

2. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    I appreciate you wanting to build the "little motor that could," However the main problem with using any other bigger D-series rods (D15,D16) is that the rod journals of your D14 are small (41mm) and the other 2 motors rod journals are 45mm and 48mm respectively. So you would want to do whats logical right? Swap all the rotating assembly from the D15/D16 to the D14 block. Problem, the crank mains of the D14 are too small to accept the D15/D16 cranks. You could try and have the mains machined to accept the larger cranks but you risk block integrity.

If I were you I would look into a company called FJ distributors. They have been selling these "super kits" that D-series guys have been using for awhile now to safely boost there motors and make 300+whp all day long. They are very cheap for what you get. You get custom sized forged pistons and i-beam rods along with arp rod bolts and piston rings and lube. all for around $420!

check them out. hpe this helps.

3. vtecdream

vtecdream New Member

Start a Conversation
    d14a1 rods

Hi Legacy

thanks for your help, I´ll make a search

D14a1 it´s a very good engine, my only problem it´s just the thinner rods

I´ll keep sending news ;)

cheers