1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heel to toe Driving Technic...

Discussion in 'Racing and Track Battles' started by SiRalex16v, Nov 25, 2006.

1. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    I wanted to have a thread on Heel to toe. This is probably one of my favorite driving technics. This is the use of your feet to Brake, Clutch, and shift all at one time. This is Use full to down shift smoothly while brake into a corner. Heel to toe is used by all pro's from WRC (back in the days when they still had a clutch) to Drifting to almost any kinda of racing there is. Share your opinions and thoughts on this technic. If you have questions .. i will do my best to answer any questions you guys have on this technic and how to do it properly.

Don't forget that some cars are easy to do it in where as some cars are a little bit more difficult to do it in. Its all in the pedal positioning really. Your feet have to be positioned correctly as well as retain comfort in your legs. This Technic has saved my ass many many times. I recommend all of you to know and practice this technic.

Here is more...

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to heel-and-toe downshift. It will explain how to shift from fourth gear to third gear, though the technique will work for any downshift.

1. Begin braking for the corner with your right foot. The location of the pedals and the size of your foot will dictate where you position your foot on the pedal, but most likely it should be canted a little to the right, closer to the throttle pedal.

[​IMG]

2. Push in the clutch with your left foot.

[​IMG]

3. This is the hard part. With your right foot still applying pressure to the brakes, roll the outside edge of your foot outward and downward to touch the throttle pedal. The pedal design on some cars makes this easier to do than on others. Use the outside of your right foot to blip the throttle. Blipping the throttle means temporarily raising the engine rpms to match the wheel speed. The exact amount of revs needed is dependent on a variety of factors, but it is usually between 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm more than the current engine rpm for a one-gear downshift.

[​IMG]

4. Move the shifter to third gear.

[​IMG]

5. Release the clutch with your left foot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope this helps!

2. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    P.S. These are not my feet... LOL nor my car LOL!

3. RSMisfit

RSMisfit New Member

Start a Conversation
    heh nice
    got the hang of it now

4. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    if anyone here knows how to "heel-toe" it's me

my car no longer idles [don't ask, but it's fast]

so i have to keep it running by hitting the gas even with clutch in while brakeing...

heh it's fun though

5. xjdmshezx

xjdmshezx New Member

Start a Conversation
    sucks when you have big feet though:(

6. pimpinpunk

pimpinpunk New Member

Start a Conversation
    Im a personal fan of "grandma shifting" lol

7. deathrace2000

deathrace2000 New Member

Start a Conversation
    I had a similar problem. :googly:

8. familycar-GSR

familycar-GSR New Member

Start a Conversation
    its great for autocrossing, i've been using that technique since i saw an article about it in sport compact car years ago, i always knew about it but never really grasped the idea until it was fully explained in great detail.

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal New Member

Start a Conversation
    To be honest, heel/toe-ing is only really a technique that matters if you're trying to scrape thousandths off lap times. For most drivers, even competent ones, the focus on actually getting it right often negates the outcome as lines/apexes are missed as a result...

The easiest way to achieve a similar result is to simply 'blip' the throttle when changing down. It's much easier to get right, still reduces the effect of engine braking, and becomes much more natural.

10. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I've been practicing this in my kei truck for a couple years now. And now I do it in my type R. Even when your not really "racing" it makes down shifting more smooth. Not so jerky. :p

11. twinmmjr

twinmmjr New Member

Start a Conversation
    wow thats a good tip idk it wuld b more helfpul if the if the pictures were up but oh well. ill have to try that sumtime but not on my ranfla mayb on nightrider ( as in my 92' FORD TEMPO):eek:hsnap:

12. twinmmjr

twinmmjr New Member

Start a Conversation
    though it doesnt have a clutch but eitherway yea ill have to try that