1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a 1300 coupe 9s

Discussion in 'All Other Honda *NEW*' started by JMSBND, Jun 3, 2007.

1. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hey guys. I have one of these. Here are the pictures I am restoring it now. Very fun car. Amazing power and technology for the year and it REVSSSSSS! Hope you like it. I'm from Australia.
    coupe9s front.jpg coupe9s lf.jpg coupe9s lr.jpg coupe9s rear.jpg

2. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    You definately need to tell us more about this car. :thumbup: History? and more pics! What a great find. This was never released in the U.S. correct?

3. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    woah, what the hell is that? ive never seen one before!

4. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    WOW that is so JDM noone has ever heard of it before LOLL. congrats on the cool/rare find

5. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    Glad you all like it. This is Honda's very first "full size" production sports car. Ran from 1969-1973. Two variants were available. The 100 horsepower Coupe 7s, and the 120 horsepower coupe 9s, which I own. They were only officially sold in Japan and Australia. Interestingly the publicity shots for release were mainly done in the US. Less than 2000 Coupe 9s variants were produced and less than 50 are known to survive outside Japan. Infact we have less than 20 logged on our database left here in Australia. Our website is www.hond-1300-coupe.com if you would like to learn more about this awesome little car.

SPECIFICATIONS

# 1300cc SOHC all aluminium air cooled engine
    # Dry sump lubrication
    # Close ratio 4 speed transmission
    # 4 wheel independant suspension
    # 3 spot front disc/calipers rear drum brakes
    # Quad carburettor induction electric fuel pump
    # 120 BHP, max 9000 RPM
    # Top speed 130+MPH

I have driven mine to over 120 MPH before current restoration. 1 carb was running rough and it was still pulling like a train.

Restoration time is currently at 2 years. I have an old 7s variant for spares I bought from an old chicken shed for $100.00 Aus.

I think of it as the "Original TYPE R!!!"

6. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    sad thing is, your motor is smaller, has a worse cooling system (water vs air), and a transmission with less gears BUT you do have motor power and rev higher than my car. :( i hate you

7. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    True I use air, but look how I use it. It's the unique "Dua Dyna" or "DDAC" air cooling system. It in effect pumps air instead of water. Combined with the dry sump lubrication the interference from liquid in nearly zero. Makes for one hell of a snappy engine! They even built an air cooled F1 car, Soichirio Honda was obsessed with air cooled technology. Check the attached image to understand the Air Cooling System. The "fan" in the end of the crank pumps air through "galleries" through the engine. This involved extremely complicated and beautiful casting that made the car very expensive. Even the dry sump is finned alloy to act as a heat sink to dissipate excess heat from the engine oil. That's why I love this car. It goes it's own way for technology. It's different.
    COUPE 9S ENGINE CUTAWAY 82kb.jpg

8. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    I've seen those online before, that is so cool!

9. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    what! Thats crazy man, never seen it before. Thats what you call REAL OLDSCHOOL not any of this calling DAs and shit old school :) Sick car, just dont crash it or youre f*cked!

10. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    You would be surprised how many in poor condition still turn up cheap here in Australia. They blow a head gasket, get too hard to fix and parked in a shed/paddock. I bought the old banga in this picture for $100.00 AUS and a slab of beer. Body is actually not too bad, and its all original. Started right up after 14 years and it's original 77000 miles. My god it smells like ASS though :googly: HAHA!
    GARAGE COMPRESSED.JPG

11. cabezzzdb8

cabezzzdb8 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Damn I got one in GT4 lol, definately a piece of history, me I want an S800

12. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    s800, thats a nice thing for sure. Old school jdm s2k in the 60's

13. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    JDM Enkei wheels old school!!!

How lucky is this!?!?!? Original 1972 ENKEI 3 piece aluminium lightweight wheels. Just typed in Enkei 4x120 (been doing it every morning for 18 months......) into Google and finally a set turned up! Seems this company here in Sydney Australia brings in heaps of used Japanese alloys every few months and they thought these were 4x100 PCD. They are actually the super rare 4x120 PCD.............Perfect!!! Apparently they were off an original SB1 RS Civic 1972 that was in Japan. What a find!!! And at $460.00 AUS delivered to my door with tyres I reckon thats pretty sweet. More parts for my JDM Racing Replica.
    EnkeiF14x65 compressed1.gif

14. topogon

topogon New Member

Start a Conversation
    JMSBND are you still reading this. I have just bought a couple of these to restore/race and I am in melbourne too. Would love to catch up and swap info on spares etc. (Or anyone else who has one or experience with rebuilds/mods feel free to contact me too)

John 0418 313181
    hifiexchange@hotmail.com

15. JMSBND

JMSBND New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hi John.
    Wow havn't been here in a while! I still have the 9s Coupe. Got a few N360 now too. Be glad to chat about parts etc. Plenty of good tips for you.

I believe you bought the gold coupe 9s off ebay. If so you own a very special car. That vehicle was the actual car from the display stand at the Tokyo Motor Show at the release! It was imported after the show by a local Australian dealer. I saw it surface some years back but then it dissapeared again until now.

Your car is identifiable by the slightly different seats and interior pattern, the vinyl roof and the speedo is in KM/H not MPH. The metallic gold color is amazing too I can't remember the official name but it is the same as period 70's Honda Motorcycle cafe racers and is sensational!