1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***PS3 Update*** $499+++ No Dual Shock

Discussion in 'Video Game Junkies' started by CarbonEG6, May 10, 2006.

1. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Sony PlayStation 3 (Plus New Controller) Set for Launch on November 17, 2006
    Sony’s next game system will sell for $499 and $599 with 20 GB and 60 GB harddrives, respectively.

LINK: Read Ben Zackheim's opinions about Sony's press conference.

The Lowdown: After a year of looking at the same empty box at countless trade shows, Sony finally gave us some meat worth chewing. At its E3 press conference in Los Angeles, company execs showed off the PlayStation 3 and its new controller – which looks suspiciously like a silver version of the PS2 controller – with a twist. The new controller contains sensors that allow users to control the game by simply tilting the gamepad up and down and from left to right, also known as “six-axis sensing.” It could also be interpreted a big nod to Nintendo, which has been heralded for its innovative Wii controller (with similar functionaity) for the past 12 months.

Other Gab-Worthy PlayStation 3 Features:

Built-in harddrive, 20 GB and 60 GB
    Blu-Ray HD DVD Support
    New interactivity with PSP
    Bluetooth, WiFi and Ethernet support
    Up to seven people can play at once
    Promise of large-scale backwards compatibility
    An expanded online network with shopping capabilities

Could Be Cool: It’s the next-generation PlayStation! That alone can make fanboys froth at the mouth and open their wallets to buy the system. For more discerning consumers, the system will support a wide variety of media formats and will have a fantastic new controller which has the potential to change gaming as we know it. Also, the new game system contains enough power under the hood to create hyper-realistic graphics. The team behind ‘Gran Turismo 4’ created a special E3-only driving demo with amped graphics and it looked like we were watching the Indy 500 or NASCAR race on TV instead of video game footage.

Could Be Lame: As a fellow journalist noted after Sony announced the PS3 price, “$300 is the new $600.” Ouch. The high priced systems -- especially after bundled with a few $60 games – will empty the pockets of many a gamer during the holiday season. Also, there’s been talk that the $499 version will contain a smaller harddrive (the 20 GB) and will also be stripped of other features, similar to that of a “Core" Xbox 360 system.

Another entry in the boo-hiss department -- the new controller will ship without any DualShock capability, since, Sony says, the vibration “interferes with information detected by the sensor.”

We were almost more impressed with new developments for the PSP, which, this fall, will get a camera and GPS add-ons and will sport the ‘SingStar’ game and music download service and ‘Planet PSP,’ a virtual tour guide for cities across the globe.

In the end, the consumer will decide with their wallets -- and with PlayStation 2 boasting "one billion sold" bragging rights -- history shows that gamers will dutifully delve out the big bucks for this workhorse of a gaming system next winter, no matter what the critics think. – Libe Goad, AOL Games

Here's the link http://videogames.aol.com/canvases/e3/_a/playstation-3-launches-november-17-2006/20060509030309990001

2. poonkla

poonkla New Member

Start a Conversation
    Counting Down The FREAKING DAYS!!! I Think im gonna go ahead and pre-order.

3. Mikey

Mikey New Member

Start a Conversation
    OMG!

I want one, and I want a PSP with GPS for the car.

Time to start saving.

4. poonkla

poonkla New Member

Start a Conversation
    PSP's are awesome. Worth every penny.

5. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Pre- Order...

Last year I Pre- Ordered 5 XBox 360s (premium) then sold them on EBay for Twice the Amount while keeping 1 for myself... :interesting:

This Year I Plan on Pre-Ordering 3 PS3 *60gb (cause the Price is a Little Steep) and Plan on Sellinng those on EBay Also... :thumbup:

This is a very Effective way of Flipping yo Cash for the Holiday season... :cheers:

6. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Affiliate

Start a Conversation
    I'm preordering one!

7. jdm b18c ek6

jdm b18c ek6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    i agree, might do tha same

8. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    I would never try to sell on Ebay again. I owe them about a million dollars

9. MidniteFreedom

MidniteFreedom New Member

Start a Conversation
    dude im gonna preorder it when its availabe! cant wait!! ill buy the 60gb with it!
    i already got me a Sony 60inch HDTV and im ready to game on!!!!

10. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    I'm buying one too. Alot of people rather wait for a newer versions so they dont get problems like with the XBOX 360 but when I bought the PS2 I got it at release date and I never had problems with it.

11. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
  12. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    It looks like you can buy motorcycles on the new Gran Turismo so its like playing Tourist Trophy and Gran Turismo at the same time!

13. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Rumors are True...

It was said that PS3 had coppied from Nintendo with that Controller Device that Controls with your Movements with two hand held Sticks...Also Nintendo had a Controller called the GLOVE back in the NES days... :interesting:

but PS3 controller was Unvielded at E3 and Is alot better than Nintendo because Imagine the Movements you Already make when your playing a Game that your into, you move around trying to advoid objects... well now those same movements my save your ass this time... :cheers:

14. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Same shit I said about the movement part but I bet itcan be disabled. Also you cant really say they copied Nintendo cuz nintendo revolution or the
    (Nintendo Wihi, which is said to be the new name) has not even been releases yet so for all anyone knows the Controllwe was said to be like that from a beggining and noone knew about it.

15. poonkla

poonkla New Member

Start a Conversation
    Not sure I like the whole movement thing on the controller to well. Seems like it defeats the purpose of the d-pad and such. Just my opioion though.

16. MidniteFreedom

MidniteFreedom New Member

Start a Conversation
    ^ im guess certain games you can active it to do that whole movement.
    and its about time they went back and fix the control. the concept one looked ugly and all boomerang.gj on them putting back to the ps2 style and its lighter they say? hrmm ps2 controler seems already light to me lol. but yea im so ready and gonna buy it!

17. g3teg97

g3teg97 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Damn. I have to start saving!

18. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Why save?

Sell your car, Buy 10 PS3'sand sell them on Ebay like the Guy trying to sell his Xbox 360 for 160k so that he can buy his wife a house for christmas, lol

19. jdm b18c ek6

jdm b18c ek6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    160k for a 360 holy crap.... rofl

20. CarbonEG6

CarbonEG6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thats nothing. There was a guy selling his for... are you ready... 20 million dollars. It also came with a 150 inch TV. Do they even make them that big???