1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae86

Discussion in 'Toyota & Lexus' started by Chaos Performance, May 7, 2008.

1. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    well i am looking into buying a 1985 sr5 ae86. it has no motor or tranny. i was wondering what motor i should purchase. also any sites that have info on how to swap the motors over would be great.

2. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    depends what you plan to do with the car.

4AGE 16v redtop (cheapest and easiest)
    4AGE 16v bluetop (higher compression, cheap and easy swap)
    4AGE 20v silvertop
    4AGE 20v blacktop
    4AGZE largeport
    4AGZE smallport
    7AGE (4AG head [large or small] on 7AFE)
    3SGTE
    CA18DET
    SR20DET
    13B
    2JZ
    1JZ

and many other options

check out club4ag.com

3. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well i am a member on there but was wondering if any of you knew basically where i can get motor mounts for the swap i basically can do all the rest. i am going more towards the 4agze swap as i have heard many good things about them and they are easiest and cheapest to swap also they give the best balance for autox. thanks for the good info about the different 4age motors though that helps a lot.

i was thinking 2jz but everyone says straightline only due to the fact it weighs a lot in the front of that car.

thanks again for the help

4. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    so after some research found a 4agze a 4age black top and a 4age silver top which should i look into???

5. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    ST runs off a AFM while the BT runs off a MAP sensor. by using the BT electronics (either on BT or on ST) you can run open stacks on the ITBs. the BT's are newer, and iirc they also have a few extra ponies.

as far as mounts, the 4agze shares the same block as the 4age. the earlier AFM models on the 4ag(z)e have no oil squirters, while the later model 4ag(z)e blocks (late ae92 and ae101) run off MAP, have DLI (distributor-less Ignition) and have the oil squirters in the bottom end. you can tap in some squirters into early blocks though if you really wish to have them.

the 2jz is expensive and requires ass-loads of fab work. i dont think there is a mount kit on the market, so you have to make; mounts, get a driveshaft made, wire it all, and make all your plumbing + whatever else. not very fun.

6. ONEateEessex

ONEateEessex New Member

Start a Conversation
    not fun you say. i say thats where the fun is. is it easy? no. is it a royal pain sometimes? yes. does it pay off? yes. and its fun and rewarding knowing that you made something your self and it works well. i would a 1-3uzfe. that would be sick. you could probly runs 13's on the stock motor. would be auto-x able not realy but it would be sick as hell. ive been wanting a ae86 for the longest time.

in reality i would likely drop in a 4agze and then turbo it like nach's sw. or maybe an altezza motor. 3sge i think is what it is. thats what the new scion tc drifter is useing

7. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    -i have an AW, not SW ;)
    -the 3sge didnt come in the IS (250, 300, or 350) as the 3S is a 2.0L

the scion drift car is using the 3SGE Beams motor, like you said, but they turbo'd it :googly:

[​IMG]

8. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    I wouldnt do 1UZ for the sole reason is that you now are stuck w/ a 4speed auto. I would personally run around w/ a 3SGTE or a F20C

9. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well i was thinking f20c but after research they cost about 4000 dollars for the motor. and i want to stick with a toyota product as i am going to be doing a complete trd car.

so after all the help from you guys i have decided i will pursue the 4age black top motor as itb's are my dream and this is the car to do it on for sure.

know i need to sell my car and buy that ae86 body and motor.

that will be soon hopefully

10. ONEateEessex

ONEateEessex New Member

Start a Conversation
    not in the IS it came in the jdm altezza i thought it would be the IS200. also sold in europe i think