1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY: Brake Rotor/Pad Swap for 96-00 Civic

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires' started by 97-ferio, May 1, 2008.

1. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Do It Yourself...

Brake rotor/Pad swap out

Our test specimen for today is a 1997 Honda Civic LX sedan. We are going to swap out the stock brake rotor/pad setup with goodies from EBC and Project Mu. EBC supplied the slotted/dimpled rotors you see here, and the pads come courtesy of Project Mu.
    This is not a difficult project and anyone can do it...here is what you need.

Required Equipment:

Ratchet
    12mm & 17mm sockets
    Jack w/stands
    Impact Driver
    Hammer
    C-Clamp wrench
    Phillips Screwdriver
    New brake pads/rotors
    Tire Iron, or Breaker Bar with 19mm socket

Okay, let's get started.

1. First, you wanna park your car on a level surface, engage the E-Brake, and put the car in gear.

2. Now, grab your tire iron and loosen the lug nuts from your rims on the front Driver and Passenger side.

3. Then, grab your jack and lift the car, placing your jackstands on each side to keep the car raised.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00366a.jpg

4. With the car lifted, remove the lugs on each side and remove your rims from the car.

5. Grab your ratchet and 12mm socket and remove the lower Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolt...for 97-00 model Civics, there is only one bolt...EG's have one on the top and bottom if I'm not mistaken.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00373a.jpg
    ***you are removing the bolt marked number 3 in this pic for step number 5.***

6. Okay, now lift the caliper up, and slide it off the bracket...grab a bungee cord or some wire and use it to suspend the upper part of the caliper...find somewhere to hang it, this is so that you don't bend the brake line and possibly rupture it.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00365.jpg
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00374a.jpg

7. Now you should be able to remove the brake pads...if you are only changing out your pads, this is the last step...insert the new pads and installation of previously removed parts is the reverse of removal. If you are swapping out rotors, read on.:)
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00368.jpg

8. Alright, now, grab the 17mm socket attached to your ratchet and remove the two 17mm bolts holding the caliper to the caliper bracket, and take it off.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00373a.jpg
    ***you are removing the bolts marked 1 & 2 in this pic for step number 7.***

9. Get your impact driver and hammer, and smack the two screws securing the rotor to the hub to break them free. Unscrew the two screws and slide off the rotor. Then grab your new rotors, slide them on.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00367a.jpg

10. Reinstall the caliper to the bracket and tighten the two 17mm bolts.

11. Insert the new brake pads into the caliper...
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00368.jpg

12. With the c-clamp wrench, tighten down on the piston to reset it.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00365a.jpg

13. Reinstall the top part of the caliper and tighten the 12mm bolt, taking care not to overtighten it.

14. You're done! Now reinstall your rim, and begin the other side. Since you didn't open your brake line, you don't need to bleed the brake system.

15. After you finish with both sides, ensure your lug nuts are tightened, hop in the car, and pump on the brake pedal until it is firm. DO NOT move the car until you feel the brake pedal is firm. Take the car for a test run around the block, and enjoy your new brake setup.:)
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00375.jpg

Hope this helps some peeps out.:thumbup:
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00377a.jpg
    97-Ferio Productions. :D
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00366a.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00373a.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00365.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00374a.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00368.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00367a.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00365a.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00375.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_chivic_DSC00377a.jpg

2. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    Great writeup :thumbup:

3. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Great writeup. I am sure it will help the searchers. Stellar JDMChat member you are! :)

4. dcinaustin

dcinaustin Member

Start a Conversation
    Perfect timeing man!!!

I'm swapping out my rotors and pads real soon and this helps me out alot!

Great Writeup!!!

5. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    cool, glad i could help.:thumbup: