1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine problems

Discussion in '92-95 Civic' started by Chaos Performance, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    dude i need some help

my b16 is getting oil really bad were the gap of the spark plugs are.... theres no oil coming in threw the tubes... just the gap on the spark plugs. i mean if u pull the spark plug out its burn with oil. causing them to foul out, any idea wat it could be? and its seems my motor is using fuel quick, any ideas on that? lmk dude thanks! i got a few more questions too!

this is from 95civicb16a^^^

well i put it in a post so everyone can see how to fix the problem.

first do you have a blueish gray smoke coming out of exhaust?
    when first starting or always or never?

so oil is not coming into tubes any other place but from where the spark plugs go in? correct

this is actually a really simple problem but just want to clarify anything.

2. 95civicB16A

95civicB16A New Member

Start a Conversation
    -i see more of a white smoke coming from the exhaust all the time, so its burning some oil

-there is no oil in the spark plug tubes, just on the gap of the spark plug, i've actualy had one plug foul out because of this.

im thinkin its running rich because my gas mileage sucks, only getting approx 17 miles to a gallon

3. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well first of all white smoke can be normal if cold or a BHG. yes blown head gasket. if it was burning oil then it would be blueish when running. if a big puff if smoke comes out when started after sitting then it means possibly the valve stem seals are bad because oil is leaking into the combustion chamber. black smoke would mean lean a/f mix. rich mix you would see some of it on the plug and may cause backfiring when let off gas pedal.

oil in combustion chamber can be one of a few things
    -worn piston rings
    -worn or scored cylinder walls
    -bad head gasket or blown head gasket
    -worn valve stem seals

hope this helps. a little.

try letting car sit all night then in the morning if you can watch smoke after start up. what color?

one way to check this is to do a cylinder compression test. this will tell you if the rings are worn. local autozone may rent them out. pretty easy tool to use. also try a cylinder leakage test almost the same thing but will tell you where the leak is in the cylinder. little harder but will help a lot.

4. 95civicB16A

95civicB16A New Member

Start a Conversation
    alright, and what do u think the bad gas mileage problem would be? only getting like 17miles to a gallon....

5. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well try resetting the ecu do this by disconnecting the negative cable for bout a min then reconnect and then the fuel maps will get readjusted and that should help the mileage also make sure the air filter is clean and the fuel filter may need to be replaced.

6. 95civicB16A

95civicB16A New Member

Start a Conversation
    ight thanks man! and what do u think i should check first for the oil problem?

7. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    see thats where i am really thinking hard on.

if you were burning oil then you would see the smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.

so if oil is getting on the plugs and not getting burned then???????

well the only places oil can get into the combustion chamber are:
    -intake valve stem seals
    -head gasket
    -blown piston rings

those are the only points that oil can get in so it has to be one of them. does it look like your oil is milky white when hot?

check your oil after the car has been running if it is white in color then it could be blown head gasket or moisture getting in somewhere.

if the oil is white then let the car cool down like over night then in the morning go out and pull the drain plug out a little bit and examine the oil. is there water in it or coolant?

we will start here and work from that

8. 95civicB16A

95civicB16A New Member

Start a Conversation
    its white smoke out of my exhaust all the time, from when i first start it, and when its warm, theres always white smoke.

my dad seems to think some radiator fluid is getting in it too. so im think head gasket.

9. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    yes sir that would be a blown head gasket. and thats y there is oil on the plugs and look at your oil and it will be white when hot