1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h22 connecting rod question

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by nathan444111, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    So about six months ago I threw a rod and thought I seized my motor. Now i realize that its not seized, it just wouldnt turn because the loose rod was preventing it from turning over. Recently I managed to remove the broken rod. I also know that the piston was destroyed, and there were a lot of other broken pieces floating around. The broken rod tore the crap out of the bottom of the block, and I'm also assuming that the cylinder is destroyed. I already am about 85% certain that it will be cheaper to just buy another motor instead of trying to save the one in it.

My question is this:

If I just leave the broken rod out and that piston just sitting in its cylinder, would I be able to run it on just the other 3 cylinders?

I'm sure this seems pretty ridiculous, but I have a budget of about zero dollars right now and am desperate to drive my prelude. I'm sure you guys can understand that. Since I already pretty much know that I'm gonna buy another motor, I would be ok with just running this one into the ground.

Would doing this throw the crank too much out of balance and cause it to run for 10 seconds before just crapping out, or could there be some potential longevity to running like this? I figure I'll have to cut the injector to that cylinder some how. What else would I have to do? What are your thoughts on this?

2. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    in all seriousness, are you retarded?

go get a new motor. take out a loan if you have no money.

3. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    dont you think i'd rather get a new motor instead of doing this. its not that easy. if i could just get a loan for it it wouldve been running six months ago. i already owe about 5 grand against the car and the bank will not loan me anymore. i wouldnt be able to afford a higher payment anyway. dude im not a retard im just poor

4. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    well, this has bad idea written all over it. i cant even begin to explain all the things that can/will go wrong if you decide to run without one whole cylinder.

5. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    I dont need the whole explanation I just need a couple good reasons why I shouldnt do it because itll cause catastrophic failure very quickly. If i could squeeze say, 100 miles out of it like that I'd do it.

6. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    3 cylinders well it will work but very risky i have seen cars run like that for a while so it is possible i dont know how good it will run as there will be a limp in the idle due to the disconnected plug wire and no cylinder. since the motor is almost already shit just try starting it just disconnect the fuel and spark and see if it will even start if it runs alright then take it for a little ride not too far though but remember it will not have much power so dont think about going fast or cutting ppl off. the highway is out of the question and fuel consumption will be much greater as the engine will be working much harder to propel the vehicle. but it is worth a shot i know how u feel with the the budget well i used to be like that but good luck and update us later

7. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    would it cause a total loss of oil pressure? would the damage from doing this stay localized to the block, or would i risk compromising other engine parts like the head or tranny? i know cars can run on less cylinders, but this is a lot different then say, just disconnecting the spark plug. im guessing most people who are not running on all cylinder arent missing a rod.

8. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    ok so im doing it. is just unplugging the harness on the injector good enough or do i have to pull the whole injector

9. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    yeah it will be good and also disconnect the spark plug wire from the dist. to the plug but leave the plug in so no debris gets into the motor

10. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    this is gonna be interesting......

11. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    so i got it fired up and drove it to the top of the parking lot and back, probably had it going for about 20-30 seconds all together. i'd say it ran pretty smoothly considering the circumstances. i started it twice and it fired right up both times without hesitation.

HOWEVER, theres definitely a gnarly oil leak somewhere and its not coming from the oil pan. the day it threw the rod bearing in the first place was due to an oil leak, but nobody believed me, everybody thought it was just because i suck at checking my oil, but lo and behold it was from a really bad oil leak. i left an almost solid trail of oil out of my garage and back.

12. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    yeah thats not good but when that is fixed then the car should be fine!!!

good luck with it we r here to help

13. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    so the leak is from the oil pressure sensor. now ive gotta decide if my broke ass motor is worth spending money on

14. nathan444111

nathan444111 New Member

Start a Conversation
    so a mechanic told me that the vibrations could fuck up my clutch and flywheel, and because i had an exedy stage 1 clutch and fidanza 8 lb flywheel installed and they had less then 1000 miles on them before it shit out. i dont want to mess those up so i guess im just gonna have to drop trying to run it.

15. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    with all the little shit nah just save up and buy a motor from like green leaf or a jdm one then build it a little if money allows

16. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    the vibrations will fuck up more than the clutch. bearings, rods, crank all come to mind. also, remember that the valves are still opening and closing. so pressure in the crank case is all abnormal. could possibly (worst case) blow out seals, use excessive oil, intake air can dirty your oil (and ultimately wear, or seize your engine very quickly)

there are probably more things, but those are all just off the top of my head.