1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at building a project car next year

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by JDM'er, Nov 25, 2007.

1. JDM'er

JDM'er New Member

Start a Conversation
    Right heres the deal I'm considering getting in a car from Japan next year to modify it the plan is to a non turbo version of a car and then modify the suspension brakes etc and then the bodywork and then Change the Enigne or Turbo it

The reason I don't want to buy a turbo version is because it is going to cost more to register it on the road and I'm still only 17 so I don't want too much power

I'm looking at

S13 Silvia Ks (Turbos are cheap enough)

[​IMG]

R33 Skyline S2

[​IMG]

180SX

[​IMG]

Mazda RX7 FD3S

[​IMG]

Mazda RX7 FC3S

[​IMG]

Toyota Soarer

[​IMG]

Toyota Supra JZA80

[​IMG]

Toyota Chaser

[​IMG]

2. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    good choices now u just need to decide what car and how much??
    also what service are u using to bring the car here to america??? and what do u have to do exactly to get the car here from japan???

3. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    if you are concerned with price for insurance, id suggest rethinking importing a japanese car. for all besides the skyline and chaser, you can get the US equivalent and come out with much less money spent. use that money to put into the motor and suspension.

for example, get a usdm S13 and get an sr20 swap. sc300 to 2jz swap.

going through all the work and the money to do it wont net any benifits. some usdm cars are practically the same (supra, rx7's). since you're 17, spend your money elsewhere.

im not sure where youre from, but just ship over a car from a southern state if you are above the salt belt. MUCH cheaper and it will give you a better bang for your buck.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    /\ he speaks the truth! but if i had to choose it would be the r33 :D

5. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    ^well said. the other thing you gotta realize, is what if you get into an accident? you have a totaled car that you CANNOT replace with another one, especially the skyline and chaser. how bout if someone steals the car? same situation. also realize, if you're going to be building your first project car, you might want to start with something cheap, easy to maintain, available after market, and there are well documented modifications. so in the end i say get a usdm s13 or something from the honda camp

6. JDaM_Driver

JDaM_Driver New Member

Start a Conversation
    Word.

7. JDM'er

JDM'er New Member

Start a Conversation
    Actually Forgot to say I'm Irish so I wouldn't have the troblue of Registering the car or finding replacment parts etc

8. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    irish as in you live in ireland?

why not just buy one from somewhere local?

9. JDM'er

JDM'er New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yeap Its cheaper to import it and once most imports hit Irish soil they have the shit driven out of them leading to problems and most models are Turbos and I'm looking for a non turbo (Well apart from the FD and FC) Because Non turbos tend to be in better condition then Turbos and havn't been rallyed or drifted or anything like that.There cheaper to register (When a car comes into the country over here you have to pay VRT on it and on certian cars like Skylines and Chasers that can be thousands on the turbo model ) and since I'm young hoping into a powerful turbo is not a good idea.

I'm looking for a car that is a good all rounder a bit of show and a bit of go I'm basically building the car for me not building it to have the fastest car on the road

10. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    just get a DC2 Type-R :D

11. JDM'er

JDM'er New Member

Start a Conversation
    There everywhere over here every second car is an Integra and first is a Civic