1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New guy from DE, hi?

Discussion in 'Introductions - Come say Hi !' started by Bobi, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Bobi

Bobi New Member

Start a Conversation
    Just joined up, the community looks awesome. I thought it might be logical to make a short Bio about myself so here you go...
    Been into cars since I can remember (meaning, literally one of my first words was "Jiggy-jiggy-bumblebee", which my family tells me is what I used to call the old VW bugs when they'd buzz by), my uncles grandfather and great grandfathers (you get the point) were/are all master mechanics so I guess the urge to fiddle with cars is in my DNA. I am a nut head when it comes to Japanese culture (Media, history, tech and of course... the cars). I'm heading to an on sight college for Automotive mechatronics here in Germany and I really, really fell for the JDM scene (being a Jap nuthead and all).

My first question to the many people vastly more experienced than me is:

So, I saved about 8k (EUR), I want to buy my first project car. Looking for a novice friendly, well known for it's quality and performance (I'll need something that'll survive the Autobahn), hatchback from the 70s to mid 80s. So far, all I've got on my list is:

1. a 1982 gen 2 Civic (or cvcc, whatever makes you happy). I really like it's design and I heard it's practicality is amazing. My grandfather owned one and said he fell in love with it, which is a bold statement for a Euro hardcore German old fashioned man who renewed/upgraded an old 4x4 VW van to the quality as if it just came off the assembly line and kissed a top-notch tune shop on it's way out. Only thing is that it's power is a tad low and a front wheeler. I see a lot of negativity towards the performance of FWD when it needs to pushing itself out of fast corners and overall capability against RWD (not like I'm trying to stick out to be the fastest, I just don't want to be left in to starve hours behind all those Autobahn hardened Euro beasts haha).

2. a 1981 Toyota Starlet. Also really like it's design and I hear it's great for starters but a bit tough to get it just right. People also tell me that there is a lot of capability in this car. It's RWD.

Not much choice when it comes to older models from the land with the red sun here in Europe but, that era of cars from Japan is where my heart is. Sorry for the lengthy first go in this forum. Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    Vielen Dank!

- Bobi

2. woody

woody Administrator Staff Member

Start a Conversation
    I've always been a fan of the Starlet, just with I had the space for more projects than I already mess with :)

Welcome!

3. Bobi

Bobi New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks, I'll look into it and see if I find any near me for sale. Only one so far, south, about 8 hours from me by Autobahn... But a 1979 Nissan 280ZX was offered to me when I was snooping around asking people. It's in great condition. Should I go for it?

4. woody

woody Administrator Staff Member

Start a Conversation
    also a very cool car....not sure which I would jump on...hmmm...at least you have options!

5. JamesGrifin

JamesGrifin New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hi I'm also pretty new on here but welcome