1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Son Tran Curbed Wheel Repair So Cal

Discussion in 'Exterior and Detailing' started by Daniel, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I thought I would just recommend probably the best wheel repair guy in Southern California. He has already got a reputation for being the best from many owners of high end cars, ie Porsche, BMW, Mercedes etc even Ferraris.

I read some reviews about him on many forums and decided to try his services. My experience:

I had ran over a pot hole and damaged one of my wheels that I had bought new about a year ago, totally pissed me off. So I tried one of those DIY repair kits you find on eBay with the matching paint etc. I tried to used the primer and the wet sand paper and kind of made it worse in one area where I had a scratch in one of the spokes. So I gave up on it. About a month later after washing my car and back out of my driveway I curbed the same wheel. Now the wheel looked like utter and complere crap compared to the others.

I decided to just call Son Tran (714) 742-6855 after washing my car, he answered and said he was in Beverly Hills (as I believe Dealerships pay him for his services there). He said he would be done in abou 1 hour and to text him my address. Hour later he calls and says he is on his way. He arrives quickly and looks at my wheel and tells me it will be about 35-40 minutes.

Although reading such great reviews all over the internet (Google: Son Tran wheel repair), I still had little doubts about how great it would turn out. When complete, it exceeded my expectations greatly, you really have no idea how perfect the match was, even upon very close inspection, I couldn't tell nor could my brother who has an ever keener eye than mine. I had to refer to the original photos to actually remember where the damage was.

Also I have OEM ZCP BBS 19" Wheels which the silver paint is NOT the standard silver found on BMW and other German wheels. The BBS wheels paint is a different shade and seems to have a more glossy finish. I was just going to just buy a new wheel which (Part number 36112282999 list is $519.67) the absolute cheapest would be about $450 shipped from Tischer BMW. , Son Saved me roughly $350+ on this job without the hassle of ordering it and having the tires remounted etc. Beyond pleased.

Son Tran
    Onsite Wheel Reconditioning (Mobile Service)
    (714) 742-6855

Now on to the pics!

Full picture of the rear wheels curbing is on the left side.
    [​IMG]
    You can see some of the paint from the red curb.
    [​IMG]
    More damage.
    [​IMG]
    This is my pathetic attempt to repair the wheel myself. Globbed on Primer to fill in some of the curb. I gave up after this point.
    [​IMG]
    Another pic of the globbed primer.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a part I wetsanded the inside of the spoke hoping to get rid of a scratch then using the touch up paint then I plan in wetsanding the touch up paint with hopes to blend it in. Failed, just ended up sanding down to the primer.
    [​IMG]
    Final pic of my damaged wheel.
    [​IMG]

2. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Son Tran fixed my wheel from curb rash!

Here are the pics after his magical service!

Completed wheel!
    [​IMG]
    Notice the tire markings from the pics above so you can see where the original damage was. Curb rash is gone.
    [​IMG]
    Matches perfect, the camera can't pic up what the eye can see. In real life it is so much better!
    [​IMG]
    This is the area where the globbed primer was. Perfectly gone!
    [​IMG]
    Awesome work.
    [​IMG]
    I tried to get different angles to show you how perfect the wheel was repaired.
    [​IMG]
    This is where I wetsanded inside the spoke to fix it myself.
    [​IMG]
    One more pic!
    [​IMG]

I will hardly recommend other services or plug anyone else here but Son Tran's work deserves it. Those of you who have curbed wheels, don't buy another one or feel like you can do nothing, call Son!

His price was extremely reasonable, he charges around $80-$100 per wheel sometimes more depending if it needs more work. I read he has done work for Nicholas Cage's Ferraris, Jay Lenos cars etc. I believe it. I only wished others in other parts of our country had access to Son Tran, but those in CA take advantage of this service. He was totally polite, nice and friendly as well. By the way, he doesn't have to remove the wheel or dismount tires as other services do, all work is done with the wheel on the car! Thanks Son for fixing my wheel! :hug: