1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tansmission noise

Discussion in '96-00 Civic' started by 98civic47, May 25, 2012.

1. 98civic47

98civic47 New Member

Start a Conversation
    hi i got a 98 civic with a jdm d15b vtec motor and a manual transmission.. the problem is there is a weird noise coming from the tranny area...i dont know if it is the tranny or the clutch.. it sometimes makes a noise in first and second always in 3 and sometimes in 4..it goes away when i push the clutch in..its like a rubbing noise hard to describe..i was told it is probably a bad clutch but i personaly think its the tranny if you have any info please let me know

2. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    You have a bad pilot bearing AKA a throw out bearing.

Sometimes if the clutch is still good people will just leave it be until the need to replace the clutch. However the noise will just continue to get louder and louder and will do damage to the input shaft of the transmission.

If you can I would highly recommend getting a replacement clutch kit (which will include a new disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and clutch release arm bearing) this will take care of the problem.

unfourtunately these bearings cant be bought seperately so a new clutch kit is needed.

Also if you haven't figured it out by now, the trans will need to come off.

3. 98civic47

98civic47 New Member

Start a Conversation
    i have changed clutches and trannys before thats not a problem i just didnt want to spend money if it wasnt going to fix the problem but how sure are u that its the bearing...cuz it doesnt make noise in 5th gear and not all the time in first or 4th just all the time in 3rd