1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THINNER + GAS = RACING FUEL

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by IMPREZANETICS, May 7, 2008.

1. IMPREZANETICS

IMPREZANETICS New Member

Start a Conversation
    I HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS A 2000 WRX WITH STOCK INTERNALS AND A SUPERZILLA 49 TURBO WITH 660 CC INJECTORS, AND A STAND ALONE TUNED! WITH WALBRO FUEL PUMP,... HE MIXES THIS THINNER CALLED "TOLUENE" COMES IN GALLON AND MIXES IT WITH HALF A TANK A GAS!! HE'S RUNNING 11'S SEC, 1/4 MILE, I HAVEN'T DONE IT YET, BUT I WILL NEXT MONTH :p

WEL HE DOES THIS CAUSE THE GAS HERE IN ARUBA IS REALLY BAD IT'S LIKE 89 TO 92 OCTANE

2. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US?

I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of this thread. Did you have a question of some sort? :confused:

Sport Compact Car did an article on octane boosters in the past. Every thing from NOS products, "The Outlaw", to home brews like something you mentioned.

3. IMPREZANETICS

IMPREZANETICS New Member

Start a Conversation
    so it's possible to make good fuel with thinner???
    how could i know how much to mix exactly???

4. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    http://www.elektro.com/~audi/toluene/

Toulene
    R+M/2...114
    Cost...$4.50/gal
    Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
    10%...94.2 Octane
    20%...96.4 Octane
    30%...98.6 Octane
    Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $5/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

5. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    okay first off... unless you're running a high compressions engine or a high boost engine there is no need for a high octane fuel

that being said i'm now going to go into the long ass explination of why this is true

octane rating [i.e. 87, 89, 92, etc] is actually the fuels RESISTANCE to burning, now why might this be important? high compressions engines [we're talking like 12.6-1 and up] or high boost engines [create larger cylinder PSI's on compressions] have this nasty habit of detonating. now in case you don't know what that is, detonating is when the air/fuel mix ignites from the heat of compression rather then the spark plug, and usually this happens well before TDC causing the piston to be pushed back down the cylinder opposing the rotating mass of the crankshaft,

things break, you get sad, your wallet is now thinner

now to counter this problem you get a higher octane fuel so that it resists burning and thus won't detonate

so

on your stock honda or whatever where compression is like 10-1 running 87 octane is just as fast, if not faster, then running 92 octane

any questions?

6. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    i would make the assumption he has some sort of impreza. so he is (plans to) boost atleast somewhat. and, as he stated, anything past 89 octane is hard to get in Aruba. so if he wants to make some good power with a turbo, he needs the higher octane.

7. IMPREZANETICS

IMPREZANETICS New Member

Start a Conversation
    yes i have a 1993 jdm wrx, with arias forged pistons 8.5:1 92.5 mm bore, h-beam eagle rod, cometic head gasket, arp head studs, headers uppipe, turbo back exhaust, and a apexi power fc ecu, getting walbro fuel pump this month turbo is still stock (td05) with the gas from aruba i had to retard my ign to -7 to getting the car to knock safe at high rpm, that's why i need better fuel!! :p

8. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    ah, well then you actually have a reason

i'm just sick of laughing at the stock honda's with the fart can filling up with the 92 octane

my sides hurt