1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of this car?

Discussion in '240SX Silvia' started by Relapz13, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Relapz13

Relapz13 New Member

Start a Conversation
    http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2732746692.html

It has a ton of mods which makes me pretty leery. I've driven a v8 for a long time and am looking for a s13/s14 to keep the RWD and hopefully the same performace but save on the MPG because it'll be my DD. I'm not sure if this is too far on mods..but id like some opinions of some guys that've been in Nissan for awhile. Thanks a lot. He has a vid or 2
    [youtube]tM3CagZLXbY[/youtube]

I just joined these fourms so if this needs moved to a different section, feel free too.

2. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hi, welcome! First off let me say that you have chosen a great forum to start your "online home away from home!" I hope you are here to stay for the long run.

As for the question, I have had 5 240sx myself. I like them very much and there is nothing better than being able to wag the tail of the car if you so choose. The car looks to be in great shape! and the swap seems very complete! There are a few little mods on this car which makes the asking price seem fair but I think he is asking a bit to much for the car. Maybe you can talk to him and see if he can take the price down some. Maybe around 6,200? maybe even 6K? I know that is hitting way below his price, but whats the worst he could say, NO?

As far as MPG, you will probably save a little there, idk what your stepping out of tho? These cars are OK at best on MPG, the thing is they are boosted and while yes they can return semi decent MPG WHEN and only WHEN you have a disciplined right foot. Just like any car, you get carried away to much.................bam there goes your MPG out the window. And as for future mods for making more power, your mpg is going to suffer slightly more each time your asking for more power. Just an fyi. Not to deter you from buying the car just a foot note if you will.

3. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    I have seen this car before, it is pretty clean and pretty legit.. well put together and overall a good car. little high on the asking price like ef legacy said but 6500 is a reasonable offer.. needs coilovers and needs to be lowered but thats about it.. also idk who tuned it and what its running but u may want to ask him for some paperwork on that..

4. Relapz13

Relapz13 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

He said it has the greddy emanage ultimate autotuner. But he aslo said a friend tinkered with it. Im currently driving a 02 mustang GT 5spd and commuting 30 miles to work/class/gym a day so my MPG is fairly terrible lol. I just wana get some nissan eyes on this tthing and make sure its not gona blow after a week of commuting. I know its hard to do without being there but I appreicate you guys taking the time to look at the pics/watch the vids.

5. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    I was guessing u were coming from a camaro or a stang too. Its really hard to guess what exactly has been done tuning wise to the car. If he does in fact have proof of it being tuned at a shop a reciept or something say what was done that would be helpful. Greddy emanage is a decent setup to run but you will also want to make sure that there is a shop near you that can tune it IF you do decide to have it retuned later on when you add more parts.

If you are worried about thecar breaking down on you, why not start with a bone stock or very close to stock 240sx? This way you can have decent mpg while saving some money to "build" the car the way you want to. IMO its always better to start with a fresh car that you can work on yourself or at leastknow what partsare going on it fromthe beginning.

Sure it wont be fast or look good stock but thats what you use your brain for to make it the way you want it. Not to mention you can find a S14 that isnt all beat up for half the price or better!

6. Relapz13

Relapz13 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for the swift reply.

I've talked with guy for awhile and he sent me TONS of pics of all the parts brand new in boxes like the AcT clutch etc. It all looks very very clean and very safe. He DDs it too so im sure it wouldn't be a problem. Im not sure he listed the brand of the turbo so im praying its not an ebay gem. I asked about dyno slips and he said it hasnt been dyno'd. Should that be a concern? Im meeting him a week from today to test drive it. So ill update from there. Sorry if I sound ignorant, like I said im not familair with turbo cars or even 4cyls. Thanks for your patience.

7. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    Well if the car was tuned on a dyno, then there will be a dyno sheet showing how much power the car made and what the A/F ratios would have been etc.. Im thinking he might not have even tuned it? I could be wrong but it just an assumption on my part. But normally when a car is tuned ON A DYNO that is, there will be papers that come along with it.

8. Relapz13

Relapz13 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Lol so it has all this new stuff but he didn't tune it? I asked him for some sheets and he said he didnt have any but gave me an estimate of 260 RWHP. If i were to get this and tune it, i'd see some rather large gains if he hadn't tuned it right? Is it hard on the car to drive it untuned?

9. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    It wouldnt be the first time some has done stuff to their motors and not tune it. For whatever reason people think its cool to drive around with untuned motors that have been modded in so way. Especially turbo cars which generate alot of cylinder pressure and heat. It migh be ok to drive it for a very short time but if you do buy it, your next stop should be a shop to have it tuned and running correctly. Driving around not tuned could pose such problems such as bad A/F ratios making the car run really rich or really lean which will spike the cylinder temps up even higher making blowing a headgasket easy or even worse detonation! Detonation is not good, this puts stress on the rotating assembly (crank, pistons and rods) as well as make weak spots on the cylinder linings which could potentially fail. If you do buy it, and have to drive it arou d for a good amount of time, i would use only the highest octane gas u have there on pump just to help fight detonation if there is any happening.

Proper tuning is KEY to any motor regardless of what mod is being done. Even things as simple as intakes and exhaust shpuld be tuned afterwards in order to gain the best possible power from those items. A good example is SN95 mustangs and possibly other mustang guys who have installed intakes have had problems with driveability and needed to have the car tuned to fix the problems.

10. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    The only thing with the Greddy system is that they sell plug and play kits that are pretuned from Greddy. but idk what system he got and he said his friend messed with it and thats sketchy cuz like ef legacy said tuning is very crucial it is the mind of the car!! i would be leary of the car.. S14 is a good way to go just be careful cuz there are a lot of cars out their that are pieced together poorly... good luck let us know.

11. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    exactly!