1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts about the Honda Prelude

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by poonkla, Jun 20, 2006.

1. poonkla

poonkla New Member

Start a Conversation
    Personally, I think it doesnt get enough credit. I guess im talking about 5th gens mainly. Honda really stepped it up with this model, very sporty car. 4th gens are pretty popular but it still good to see them on the road. I think Honda did a great job on this car, pretty quick, not to many problems, good looking. It also seems like they are getting harder to find. Go on ebay and there is only like 2-3 pages of them. Glad I got my hands on this one.

Share your thoughts and anything else.

2. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    deffinately a forgotten car from honda

3. cabezzzdb8

cabezzzdb8 New Member

Start a Conversation
    BB1'S are nice but wouldnt buy one, now BB6'S are teh sex, done right is just hot plus the fact that you dont see em every day like tegs and such adds to it

4. LudeActs

LudeActs New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yeah, only what? 66000 made for 5th gens compared to hundreds of thousands of tegs and civics. The 5th gen lude is a pricy car, $25-26k brand new, and they stopped making them so they hold their resale value. That's why you don't see too many. I love my 5G. I was actually shopping for a 99-00 civic si, but kinda wanted a lude if I could find one. I found one in an Auto Trader for only like $7000 and I called the next day and they had already sold it, so the day after that I went car shopping and guess what I found at my local Honda dealership? That's right, a nighthawk black pearl 99 lude. The car was so beautiful, even with the minor body damage that it had, and I knew it was the car for me. It is also automatic, which I've never had before, but I love it. I put a deposit down on it that day (which was a Saturday) and came back monday after work to finalize the paperwork. Good thing too, because they told me they had 6 people interested in the car after I left, and they aren't even open Sundays, so that's a lot of people that wanted to buy that car seeing as how the dealership was only open for like 8 more hours after I left. And to think, I was originally going to take the money I used for my down payment and fix up my crx instead. Good thing I didn't, because it needs a lot of work. I'll fix up the ol' rex someday. It's my project car.

5. datac99

datac99 New Member

Start a Conversation
    My 2 cents...

I love 4th gen ludes... I'm on my second... And spending about 6K to have it fixed after someone rear ended her. I think a car should have curves... Lots of them... So thats why I like the 4th gens. Oh, and the EL dash...

I still remember the day I bought my first 96'... I cut some guy off driving home from Sacramento.... Didn't really mean to... I was just having too much fun driving my first powerful car... The guy returned the favor in kind, but clipped my driver’s side mirror in the process.

Something went badly wrong with the engine in that car at around 115K, don't know what, I had always maintained it well... But it had been driving kind of rough for a while... Had not been able to convince my mechanic that there was something wrong... Or at least when he suggested that he could _start_ looking around for a few hundred bucks I decided that it was probably just what happened to car's when they had 100,000 miles on them... Well, long story short: By the time it got bad enough that I could no longer ignore it she only got me half way to the mechanic before a con rod went.

The car had some serious body damage from more of my asinine driving so I decided to let it go. I was going to find something more practical... Reliable transportation...

Well 2 months later I was on a plane to Virginia to check out the current lude. Drag Gen IV turbo kit (never installed), freshly built motor; darton sleeves, fererra valve train, port and polish by portflow design... Seemed like a great deal. Well... That built motor lasted about 3 months, lost the first autotensioner about 2 months in... Lost the second a month after that... And my mechanic noted that the head gasket was leaking and something that looked like stopleak had started to accumulate around the radiator cap.

I decided the best thing I could do was get a JDM motor and have someone drop it in. I figured that the way things had gone with the built motor that it should be considered unreliable until I could pay someone to pull it apart and check it. And it made little sense to run it w/o the turbo... And the turbo made no sense until I could afford to upgrade the fuel system, get a proper tune for the AEM etc...

So here we are, the JDM motors been running strong for about 5 months... I'm finally feeling okay about the car again after pretty much nonstop grief for the first year I owned her. And some retard couldn't figure out how to make his car stop with 250+ feet to do it at maybe 40 MPH... I even had time to get her halfway out of the lane toward the center divide.

So that's my lude story... I'm a pretty bitter guy right now -- as I think any driver would be when forced to drive a Dodge Neon for 4+ weeks... But I still love my lude... The more crap I have to deal with, the more resolved I am to eventually make her a 300+ WHP monster.

-PM

6. 2000bb6

2000bb6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    preludes r so rare that sumtimes i get older guys in s2000's askin me wat kind of car i have, wen i tell them honda they say thats BS so im like wat ever....lol then i say they stopped this car n delsol, and fuoised the 2 toughter to make a S2000...

7. datac99

datac99 New Member

Start a Conversation
    You really do have to love that... Most of the time I say "It's just a Honda", people that don't know seem to think it's some sort of exotic... Course the doors don't hurt that impression ;-) Course it would be more fun to have an NSX and say that... But hey...

8. Ludey849

Ludey849 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Talking about 4th gens.Rarely seen and pretty nice when stock.Funny how my stock bb2 is sometimes nicer then some riced out ludes ive seen.:roflmao: I think that every lude owner should just slam there car on the ground...thats just me:rocks: