1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4g63t Swap

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi' started by Fulanito, May 21, 2009.

1. Fulanito

Fulanito New Member

Start a Conversation
    I have a 92 eclipse with a stock 1.8. Bought it of my brother-n-law for $200. He had blown the head gaskets. So Ive had it for a year, and 4 months ago started to work on it. I have it to the bare bone, completely stripped. It's my new project car. I mean it's down to bare body. I wanted to swap the 1.8 engine for a 4g63t. I need to know what modifications would I have to do to the car? Someone told that the wiring harness and transmission for sure. Wouldn't that mean I would need to change the ECU?:rocks:

2. Maikeru

Maikeru New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yes, you would need the 4G63 ECU. The 1.8 ECU wouldn't have the right fuel maps for a 4G63, much less anything turbocharged. Not to mention if there is a differance in the sensors (AFM, MAF,ect...)

3. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    More than likely you will need all the normal swap parts; engine, trans, wiring, PCM/ECU, axels, mounts, shift linkages/cables (maybe), etc.

Easiest way would be to get a parts car that has everything. That way you make sure you have everything before you start.

4. Fulanito

Fulanito New Member

Start a Conversation
    What about the interior? Would I also have to change anything? And regarding the turbo I was thinking about going aftermarket like an HKS turbo, I kinda like some of the ones I've seen so far. I don't think that it would be too much trouble, would it? :chair:

Oh thanks guy for the replies they have been very helpful so far. A lot things that I have to keep in mind for the swap. A lot of hard work, I plan on doing everything myself so I hope that in the end it pays off.

5. Maikeru

Maikeru New Member

Start a Conversation
    You shouldn't have to change anything in the interior other than get a boost gauge (or try to source a gauge cluster from a turbo'd Eclipse). As for an upgraded turbo...try getting the car running first. There is a lot of research and designing that goes into a proper turbo setup. You can't just swap in a bigger turbo and expect it to be faster. Get the car running, maybe get a boost controller, and go slow.