1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to lower you car

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires' started by Thrule01, May 8, 2006.

1. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    is it better to the the spring/shock setup or coilovers? i was told by different ppl the each is better...so im confused.....

also what would be the better of the 2 setups with like a $200-$250 budget....would be nice to be able to spend like 1k and go tein or like skunk2 or something bu unfortunately thats not the case

2. jdm b18c ek6

jdm b18c ek6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    so u have a 250 budget thats just one springs in guessing... cause if ur gunna lower ur car it would b a good idea lac (lowering are controls). correct me if im wrong,and a camber kit..... but just for springs u could get some tein, comptech, or even spoon, for about 250, but then u have to pay shipping.

IF u can wait... wait till u get about 750 and get the SKUNK2 damper kit.... that would run u about 650+ shipping

3. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    With a budget of $250, your options are very limited. In this area DO NOT skimp on quality parts. ie no name springs, shocks etc. Price is tempting sometimes but in the end you get a crappy ride, and crappy springs.

For this budget I would recommend a Ground Control adjustable coils, they utilize Eibach springs so the quality is up there. They make a variety of applications for almost any car. If you can spend a little more, you may want to get some Tokico or Koni shocks.

4. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    kk looks like ill have to hold off and keep the shot suspension for now....cant afford really anything more than 250....but that should be put more towards paying off the del sol....oh well lol...ill just have to be patient...but damn will it be hard...

5. Mikey

Mikey New Member

Start a Conversation
    Don't do your suspension with $250.

You need to save for coilovers, its the best way. I did springs and struts but for the little extra money I wish I went full coilovers and I could pick the height I want. And if you just do springs, your stock struts will go out.

6. BoostSpyke

BoostSpyke New Member

Start a Conversation
    $250 will get some good springs, maybe a camber kit, if you can get a GOOD deal. Tein S-Techs run between 175-200, but you will need a camber kit for anything more than 1.5" drop. Teins are 1.9", and require a camber kit.

I've had Eibach ProKit on my Accord before my current suspension, and I LOVED it. even on stock struts, the Eibachs rode beautifully. Cadillac could not describe the ride on a nice road. find a nice curve, and the progressive section shows it's guts. a little bit of bodyroll, and the car rips through the corner. My only complaint was that I wish they were lower. 1.4" sucks, but I didn't need a camber kit.

Now, I'm on a full coilover setup, from D2. I'm also using full polyurethane bushings, and an Ingalls extreme camber kit. The coilovers are kinda a pain in the butt to start out, because I was afraid to play with them. The dampeners are 36-way adjustable, and when I got them, they were all different settings, but I didn't know. Rode like ass, bouncy, jounced like hell, and gave new meaning to the word "buckboard". I then took some time, played with them, and discovered the tuning potential of the coilovers. set at 30-34, the machine is unreal. it will perform an emergency lane change at 87mph, without flinching. set at 18-20, the car rides better than my old Eibachs. soft, smooth, and clean. I have yet to take it lower than 18, though. I'm afraid of a marshmallow ride, I guess.

Another aspect of full-body coilovers is the use of pillow ball mounts. Compare the billet aluminum upper mounts to your rubber stock mounts. Looks different, huh? Trust me. They ACT different. The upper mounts are responsible for how reactive the car is to your input with the steering wheel. Pillow ball mounts convert a sloppy, sloshy steering wheel to dead-on accuracy. My steering wheel has NO play in it whatsoever. You move the wheel, the car will turn.

As far as LCAs (lower control arms), Aftermarket billet aluminum ones are considerably stronger than OEM peices, make the ride a little stiffer, and stiffen the chassis quite a bit, they will not change the ride height or camber angle at all. Not 100% nessesary, when building a sweet riding street machine, but they are VERY attactive, and rock out on an autoX course.

7. Jdmfever

Jdmfever New Member

Start a Conversation
    This had alreay been pretty well covered. But as you know with suspension/ footwork, "you get what you pay for."

Something that hasnt been discussed is the fact that you can create your own coilover setup. for usually the same price as a spring/shock setup. But for a average one you might want save up a few more dollars.

See you are in between the price ranges. If you were to put in 50 to 100 dollars more you could get a reliable, respectable, functional system.

For Example:

spring/coilover
    Omni power offers a "slip-on" coilover for a reasonable price. they usually go for $200.00. for the price, they are probably the best slip on coilover on the market.

shock

Now. this is where your money and decisions will make the biggest difference.
    Most people will mention the coil and camber kits. But the shock is what has the biggest factor in determining the ride of the car.

With the money you want to spend you are going to be on the low end of the prices. You will have to search for a good price.for example a set of Tokico Blue Shocks will run you about $250.00.

Now this setup was done with internet prices.
    An adjustable coilover- 200.00
    upgraded shock- 250.00

If you look aroung you could probably find all of that for cheaper.

But please do not slam the car, without upgrading the shock absorber.

Its all about finding the right setup for you. Do not buy something because someone else has it or says it's the best.

Please research the products.

Since you dont want to spend that much money. Please spend it wisely.

Your ass ans your stomach will thank you later.:)

8. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    suspension is the ONE biggest influence on your car's performance. DO NOT CHEAP OUT! save up and get real coilovers.

suspension plays a roll in accellerating, braking, cornering, cruising, anything else you can think of.

i spend $1400 on full coilovers on my s13, i love them for everything. save up.

9. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation

WOW Daniel you nailed my CRX sus set up on the head!! i had an 88 Si with Ground Control Coilover sleeves with Koni red adj struts and full hyperflex bushing set! it was really nice! i got compliments from everybody who rode in it. wasnt too stiff on the highway, but if you were out on the backroads it was perfect. i had 17s with Nitto 555s, then i had factory sawblades painted flatblack with azenis. handled awesome. :)

10. suckawillis

suckawillis New Member

Start a Conversation
    SAVE YOUR MONEY
    dont do the job twice. if you are gonna buy just springs, get SWIFT for eg. Otherwise save for a real coilover. Best bang for buck is TANABE because you can find a full coilover for like 750, but I personally like JIC. FLTA-1's are cheap and run great on the street.

11. deadpirate

deadpirate New Member

Start a Conversation
    tein coilovers with edfc...its expensive...but well worth it...a friend of mine just got them installed...BIG difference

12. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    cut springs... oh... best way??? i thought you said cheapest.

13. panzer_ko

panzer_ko New Member

Start a Conversation
    The best way to do it is have a nice set of coilovers with integrated shocks/struts...all-in-one package. Have a professional do the installation also, saves from the headaches, like the ones I encountered...lol

14. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    ^^hehehe, don't worry, i won't publicly embarrass you on the site bud:roflmao:

15. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    don't skimp on the part of your car that you put your life on... suspension, brakes, wheels/tires... with a budget of $250 you most likely won't find good name brand components...

16. panzer_ko

panzer_ko New Member

Start a Conversation
    :badidea: Hehehe, yeah we won't go into the stupidy know as panzer_ko... It was fun doing it though!