1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam specs and info

Discussion in 'All Other Honda *NEW*' started by JDM lover, Nov 30, 2006.

1. JDM lover

JDM lover Member

Start a Conversation
    I got this from Hondaswap.com,and it was posted from ClubSi.com.

Here is a sticky guide to cams that I got from Clubsi a while ago. I hope you guys enjoy it and just so you know it's through the experience of someone else, not I.

Following Cams Measured at 1mm of lift:
    Integra Type-R(Through 1999 Spec)
    Int-240 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Mugen Valve Springs can also be used.
    Description: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $500.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

Civic Type-R And Integra Type-R(Integra Type R 2000/01 Spec)
    Int-243 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Mugen Valve Springs can also be used.
    Description: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $550.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

Skunk2 Stage 1
    Int-252 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Exh-249 dur. / 10.8mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Skunk2 Valve Springs can also be used.
    Description: These are very underrated cams. They do cost around $100-$200 more than the Type-R cams but they also offer much more duration and will give more power than the Type-R cams. Similar power range of Type-R cams but stronger throughout the power band. This is a great set of cams for a budget minded B16A owner. These cams have stock idle characteristics. I would recommend using Skunk2 cam gears with these cams.

JUN Type 1
    Int-265 dur. / 10.9mm lift
    Exh-268 dur. / 10.0mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Tough to say. I have never seen anyone use this cam. The characteristics say that a stock B16A/GSR valve spring could handle these cams for use up to 8200rpms. Any operation above that and I would use ITR valve springs or even JUN valve springs.
    Description: Again, I have never seen these used. I have no clue on the power these cams will deliver but it should be similar to that of a Skunk2 Stage 1 cam, although they are very different cams. These cams have stock idle characteristics. I would recommend using JUN cam gears with these cams.

Spoon Sports
    Int-256 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Exh-245 dur. / 11.1mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Integra Type-R. These cams are wild enough that you should not be using the low 8200rpms rev limit. If using these cams past 8800rpms(why would you) I would think that Port Flow or even Toda valve springs would work but I don’t think these cams will make much power after 8400rpm.
    Description: Another somewhat rare cam. Will show definite gains over that a Type-R cam and very good gains on a stock B16A/GSR motor. Stock idle characteristics from the few users I have seen use them. I would recommend using Spoon cam gears with these cams.

JUN Type 2
    Int-267 dur. / 12.0mm lift
    Exh-265 dur. / 10.9mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Integra Type-R up to 8800rpms or JUN valve springs for all operations. These cams are wild enough that you should not be using the low 8200rpms rev limit.
    Description: Another rare cam but a few people have used it including JSIR. Cams will have just as much midrange gain as the big-brother JUN Type 3 but will start to slack off over 8400rpms when the Type 3’s are still making power. However, this cam will cause fewer headaches to get right and does not require the fancy valvetrain and tuning of the Type 3. This is by far the most underrated cam of this whole bunch. These cams have stock idle characteristics but still offer better midrange power than the JUN Type 3 (start making power at an earlier rpm) . I recommend using JUN cam gears with these cams.

Skunk2 Stage 2
    Int-266 dur. / 12.3mm lift
    Exh-262 dur. / 11.8mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Skunk2 preferred but Port Flow will work as well. These cams are wild enough that you should not be using the low 8200rpms rev limit.
    Description: The new top dog of the cam world. This will become the most common aftermarket (non OEM) cam in the US when they start getting distributed more. These have a very similar power band as the JUN Type 3, with less cost and better reliability (I said the “r” word). Not huge midrange but very good gains from 7000rpms all the way to 9000rpms(peak is usually around 8000-8200rpms). These cams have stock idle characteristics, thus making them the ultimate street/strip cam. I recommend using Skunk2 cam gears with these cams.

JUN Type 3
    Int-265 dur. / 12.0mm lift
    Exh-265 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: JUN preferred but Port Flow works as well. These cams are wild enough that you should not be using the low 8200rpms rev limit.
    Description: Until the Skunk2 Stage 3 this was the best high-end performing cam on the market. The JUN 3 and Toda B were the two fighting out for the top dog when it was just JUN and Toda (ahh the old days). Again, like the Skunk2 Stage 2, not huge midrange but very good gains from 7000rpms all the way to 9000rpms. These cams have stock idle characteristics, thus making them the ultimate street/strip cam. I recommend using JUN cam gears with these cams.

Skunk2 Stage 3
    Int-270 dur. / 12.8mm lift
    Exh-279 dur. / 11.8mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Skunk2.
    Description: A race only cam. Not to be used on the street, if they are you should pull the head every oil change to make sure everything is OK. This cam makes huge top-end power gains but still retains stock idle characteristics (weird). This cam is or has been used by Skunk2’s drag racing team and Speed World Challenge team as well. I recommend using Skunk2 cam gears with these cams.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Following cam measured with 0mm of lift:
    Civic Si(1999 Spec)
    Int-265 dur. / 10.5mm lift
    Exh-267 dur. / 9.6mm lift

Integra GS-R
    Int-274 dur. / 10.7mm lift
    Exh-276 dur. / 9.6mm lift

Crower 400
    Int-279 dur. / 10.7mm lift
    Exh-280 dur. / 9.6mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms.
    Description: This is a weird cam. I would call it an OEM replacement cam. It fits in between stock B16A/GSR cams and Type-R cams. There are not huge power gains to be had with these cams but you may notice a small difference. These cams have stock idle characteristics. I recommend using Crower cam gears with these cams.

Civic Type-R And Integra Type-R(Integra Type R 2000/01 Spec)
    Int-278 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Exh-280 dur. / 10.5mm lift
    Description: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $550.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

Crower 401(NA Version)
    Int- 282 dur. / 11.3mm lift
    Exh-277 dur. / 10.5mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Crower Valve Springs can also be used.
    Description: This cam is almost identical to the Type-R cams. A little more duration overall but that is traded off with a little less lift on the intake cam. They will have similar gains and powerband as the Type-R cams. If it were up to me I would just choose the Type-R cam based on reliability alone (there is that “r” word again). These cams will have stock idle characteristics. I would recommend using Crower cam gears with these cams.

Crower 401-T(Forced Induction Version)
    Int-280 dur. / 11.8mm lift
    Exh-276 dur. / 11.3mm lift
    Valve Springs to be used: Crower.
    Description: One of the only true boost cams for B-Series Hondas on the market. This cam is designed for low overall to prevent blow-by and to save boost. This is typically associated with lower duration and high lift but cam lobe separation is also a factor with these cams (thanks Clayton). These can be used in a NA car but they will see better gains from a cam set with more duration. Stock idle characteristics are attained from my sources. I would recommend using Crower cam gears with these cams.