1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Del Sol cage

Discussion in 'Del Sol' started by fantomEG, Nov 23, 2007.

1. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    I am currently building a honda del sol that will be seeing numerous amounts of track time and since most tracks require a cage once you hit a certain speed I figure I am just going to build one for the car while it is still in pieces. My big request is opinions on how to build it. I don't want to go through the back window piece because i would still like to roll my window up and down. I would like to see pitures of cages in many peoples del sols so I can get a good idea of how to do this. I was doing alot of searching on the internet and found this website where a member rare-eg has one but I didnt see any pics of his cage in detail.
    Thanks

2. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    No ideas. I just need to figure out how to mount it. I read the NHRA rules and they say a convertible must have a roll bar if it is doing 31.49 or faster is the del sol considered a convertible and also the rules say a roll bar is good for 10sec 1/4s

3. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    the del sol is not considered a convertable. though i would advise to do a full 6pt cage not just a roll bar.

it would be very similar to how a cage for my mr2 would be setup.

in a del sol

awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage3.jpg

awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage1.jpg

awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage6.jpg

awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage7.jpg

awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage9.jpg
    awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage3.jpg awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage1.jpg awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage6.jpg awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage7.jpg awww.norcalmotorsports.org_users_video_image_hosting_dohcvtec_strippedCar_cage9.jpg

4. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    and here is an example of an autopower bolt in cage. i believe he is a member on here

aimages.hondatuningmagazine.com_events_0609_17z_Honda_Del_Sol_Interior_Dash_Cage.jpg
    aimages.hondatuningmagazine.com_events_0609_16z_Honda_Del_Sol_Rear_Side_Parked.jpg
    aimages.hondatuningmagazine.com_events_0609_17z_Honda_Del_Sol_Interior_Dash_Cage.jpg aimages.hondatuningmagazine.com_events_0609_16z_Honda_Del_Sol_Rear_Side_Parked.jpg

5. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    yep thats RARE_EG2^

6. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    yep thats jimmy's sol

7. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    Where is the autopower bolt in cage from i really like that. I dont want to do like the black del sol does because i want to keep function of the back window even though that is a sexy ass cage lol. If you could give me some more pics and infor on where to get a cage like rare_eg has that would be great. I like that set up and if I can just buy one that would be great because i could build one I would just have to rent a pipe bender and my dads shop lol.

8. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    One question though that auto power cage looks a little low I just wonder if there is enough head room. I am not like 6 foot or nothing but it is nice to not hit your head on it even with a helmet that is not fun lol.

9. RARE_EG2

RARE_EG2 New Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah thats a super old pic of my car lol^..

the cage i have is NOT an Autopower but was built with the same design..my cage is a custom cage that i bought from someone who didnt know what application it was for and i was lucky enough to scoop it up for a steal :woot:

10. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    Do you know who makes the autopower cages so I can possibly get one for my sol.
    THanks

11. RARE_EG2

RARE_EG2 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Autopower is the name of a company that makes roll bar/cages and they can also custom make one for you, but of course its gonna be pricey..

12. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yeah but i dont want to be limited by not having a cage so I think it would be worth it or if you would be willing to send me numerous pictures of you cage so I could fab up my own that would be awesome my dad is a machinist and I have to tools to do it accept the pipe bender but that is minor. If you could pm me and I can give you my email if you would be willing to send me those pics.
    THanks

13. RARE_EG2

RARE_EG2 New Member

Start a Conversation
    sorry but i dont have any detailed pics of my cage..

not sure if you knew but Cusco and Safety21 sell roll bars and cages specifically made for the del sol if you wanna look into those..

but im not sure if theyll allow those cages for what you plan to use them for, due to the metal and design used on those..

14. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    Ok. I was talking to my dad about it and he was saying we could build one pretty easily I an just not sure how to attach it to the car.
    Thanks

15. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    weld it.

make sure to use backing plates to make sure it doesnt just rip through on impact.

16. fantomEG

fantomEG New Member

Start a Conversation
    I heard that all tracks go by NHRA rules so I am gonna take a gander at there rule book and see what thickness of metal and the clearances that are required and defiantly make it spread the load if it ever has to be used.
    THanks