1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Bodywork??

Discussion in 'Exterior and Detailing' started by EJ1Rider, Aug 27, 2007.

1. EJ1Rider

EJ1Rider New Member

Start a Conversation
    was wondering if anyone here does there own body work, rust repair, even painting there own car.

rust repair is what im dealing with now tho...theres some major rust that will need welding and some minor surface rust...not sure what type of sandpaper to use tho

also if u weld, what kind of welder do you use? i think im going to get a lincoln electric one if i can find a decent price.

as for the painting part...i only have a car tent..but someone told me to spray the ground and or the top corners of the tent to catch overspray, but the painting part seems far away....

ps. i plan on doing all this to my 86 myself since none of my friends are willing to help and dont even see potential in it:ermm: , so i was wondering if i could get some tips considering i have never done this type of work with a car before.

so any tips would be helpful

2. BoostSpyke

BoostSpyke New Member

Start a Conversation
    damn.. old thread, but I figured I would help out.

as far as welding for rust repair, it's best to practice, practice, and practice your welding and settings on scrap sheetmetal of the same gauge before you start zapping on your 86. I prefer TIG welding over all other methods, especially with sheetmetal, because you can control the heat of the weld with a footfeed, making sure you don't distort the sheetmetal. What I really need to instil in you is that you need to be an excellent welder, before you tackle rust repair. There are alot of tips, tricks, guidelines, and safety steps that need to be taken before you go against something like that. Most of those can only be taught by a seasoned vet of master welding, as well as TONS of first-hand experience with a welder.

Painting can be as crude as you can imagine. It all depends on what you want the car to look like when you are done. I've seen excellent paint jobs come out of a machine shop's parking garage. It's all in the prep work. I will be doing a flat black primer job on my S13, so I'm just going to invest in Krylon, some drop cloths, red scuffing pads, tack cloths, masking tape, and beer. I will not be expecting a beutiful, show-winning finish, because I'm not dropping tons of hours into prep work, which is where 99.99999% of the quality of the paint job comes from.