1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY EP Backseat Removal

Discussion in '01-05 Civic' started by panzer_ko, Nov 5, 2006.

1. panzer_ko

panzer_ko New Member

Start a Conversation
    It's commonly talked about, and discussed, but no one has ever posted a DIY on taking out your backseat (if someone has, I've never found one, and yes, I searched many times for it). Because of this lack of info, I have graciously taken the time to document my backseat removal. I hope it is useful to those of you out there.

There are numerous reasons to remove your backseat, the main reason of course being to save weight. The process for doing this can be done by even the most mechanically challeneged individuals.

What we start with.
    [​IMG]

Here is a list of the tools you will need for the process. A flashlight (optional), needle nose pliars, 10mm wrench, a ratchet with a short extension and a 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets, and a small flathead screwdriver.
    [​IMG]

And if you're like me, here are some optional tools to make the process easier.
    [​IMG]

First step is to open your hatch and remove the "secret cover" device. Then, fold your backseats forward, and at the base of the seats you will see a small plastic cover. Gently use your flathead and pry it off, and underneath will be two 12mm bolts.
    [​IMG]

Using your ratchet and extension and 12mm socket, remove both bolts.
    [​IMG]

Then, take the upholstery at the base of the seats and pull it up. There are 3 tabs that snap into the floor. Be careful not to break them. I broke one of mine. If you do happen to break one, use your needle nose pliars to remove whatever is left in the floor.
    [​IMG]

Next, you will notice the the cloth backing on the seats is held to the floor also by some small tabs (one on each side). Take your small screw driver, and gently , very gently push the small center part in. It will click down, do not force it any further. After you have done that, remove the tabs and free the cloth.
    [​IMG]

Now, the larger seat is ready to be removed. Pull the small seat back into it's upright position, firmly pull up underneath the seat near the bracket, and the seat should just "pop" out.
    [​IMG]

The seat is now free, but the seat belt is still attached under the lower portion of the seat. Now, go to your passenger side door, roll your passenger seat forward to give you room, and grab the front portion of the backseat. Gently pull the front part up, and it there are two tabs holding the front down and they should release. Now return to the rear of the vehicle, and follow the middle seat belt down. It is bolted to the floor. The seat is attached with a 10mm bolt, removing this will free the bottom seat cushion. Gently push the cushion forward and using your ratchet and 14mm socket, undo the bolt. This will not only free the seat belt, but also the lower portion of the back seat. 2/3 of the seat is now removed.
    [​IMG]

Now, take the bolt holding the other seat to the middle bracket.
    [​IMG]

This is where I found a little difficulty. Some people have gotten away with pushing the seat all the way to the left and having it come out, but I found that my seat stayed in, so I was forced to take the bracket out. Take your time and pry the plactic cover on the bracket up. You will notice that there are two tabs on each side, and you must also pry a hook up from the top, to allow it to slide forward. Take your time, and look at the cover closely. Once you have it pried forward, use your 10mm wrench and undo the 3 bolts underneath (2 on top, 1 on the bottom).
    [​IMG]

Once you get those bolts undone, the seat will basically fall out. Now, that the seats are gone, put the upholstery back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, just by removing the backseat, you have saved anywhere from 40-50 pounds. One thing to note however, be careful with the wiring going to your fuel pump, you pull those out, and you're gonna' have some problems. Anyways, enjoy your lighter car, slightly improved fuel mileage, and "raced out" look. :mgrin:

This is it!

2. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    nice write up!!! looks like honda did this to my del sol before i got it