1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drift VRS Grip

Discussion in 'Racing and Track Battles' started by SiRalex16v, Nov 25, 2006.

1. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    Well Gents... this has been an arguement going on for ages... whats better Grip or Drift?

Grippin: Its basically in Lamen's Terms to drive fast and to keep the tires planted on the ground. You'll see alot of this type of Racing in Such as NASCAR, BTCC, Touring Cups, Road Racing, ECT... you get the idea. Most ppl Don't understand the dynamics of a vehicle... for those that do... this will make you faster. You will have to understand many driving styles and technics in order to achive high speeds.

Drifting: To alot drifting has become quite an exciting sport and way of driving around a track. Its Fun and seems to be to alot the fastest way around a corner. This is not the case depending on how the drifting is executed. As some of you may know, there is many variations of drifting. You can use weight transfer, Handbrake, power over, and many more... Just remember tires are made to grip. There is a bit of gripping going on when your drifting... You guys need to understand that to do a real drift you need to master gripping. When you driving sideways there is Friction Created ( there for it slows you down). The harder the angle of a drift... the faster you slow down. The less the angle .. the less the friction the faster you go. If a car is driving in a straight line ... there isn't much friction at all... (less friction = less of your speed lost)

After reading this you may say... "Alex .. i think you are Grip Biased in your writting". I would reply to you... yes i am... I belive Gripping is the faster way around a turn ... altho a combination of both is good too. Feel Free to add you opinions of this topic.... share with others what you know. and please no blabering a bunch of information that makes no sence so that you can say:attention:

I personally think that drifting should be an extension of grip racing. If you can't follow a racing line and master the racing circle, drifting would be much harder to master.

The friction (traction) circle is something that all drivers must master. For drifting, the circle is less because drifters are no longer dealing with static friction. Rather they deal with dynamic friction which is generally 75% - 80% of the static friction.

In grip racing or drift racing, this traction circle is something one must understand to induce a drift and to maintain a drift.

Weight transfer is another technique that must be mastered for both.

In grip racing, weight transfer must be controlled to maximize the friction circle in a turn. In drifting, weight transfer must be exaggerated to induce and control drifts.

2. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Time Attack...

Good Subject...

I Think Its the Track that Determines the Best Driving Style

~Winding Mountain Pass~
    Uphill the Car that Grips will Win
    DownHill the Car that Drifts will Win.

~Oval~
    The Car that Grips Wins

~Rally~
    The Car that Drifts Wins

Its Hard for me to Say whats Best Because
    I Practice both but for me It Really Depends
    on the Track or the Upcomming Curve Ahead
    :)

3. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    Well that is very good .. but if you think about it ... the motorsports such as Rally a combination of Grip and Drift is the best... If you watch the WRC drivers ... they are usually spending more time getting the car grip then actually riding out a drift... They usually just drift to point the nose of the car in the proper direction while slowing down at the same time ...

down hill ... a combination of both is good too... considering when you drift you slow down...

4. krazy J

krazy J New Member

Start a Conversation
    I agree with you a good combination of grip/drift driving is the best,personnaly on large corner I using grip, and on tight corner I slide the rear of the car just a little bit

5. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    A combination of both grip and drift is best of course considering both are needed depending on the conditions. As far as circuit racing vs. Drag racing, I prefer circuit because it involves the speed of acceleration with the added elements of handling and braking. In the end, its really the most versatile car who will come out on top!

6. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    i think if it is drift versus grip, grip is a better driving technique. my reasoning is that if your drifting/losing traction, your are losing speed.. but with grip you are glued to the track and powering through and out of turns!!! just my $.02

7. JussHatched

Start a Conversation
    Generally not drifting is gonna be faster around a track, youre right. You dont see nascar's go sideways through a turn (intentionally at least :)) On the other hand though drifting allows you to enter the turn at a higher speed which in some cases could help.

8. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation

right, thats what i meant!! also i was just thinking of other kinds of racing, like sprint cars. they fly wide open around a dirt oval and "drift" through the turns

9. krazy J

krazy J New Member

Start a Conversation
    you have just to see keichi tsuichya, beat the inline 6 skyline whit is little hachiroku we dont call him drift king for nothing, its because he is sliding the rear of the car just a lil bit to go faster trought the corner but you dont see him drifting all corner. on the large one drifting is just a fancy move loll

10. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    if the corners on the track/street/where-ever-the-fuck are > then or = to 90 degrees drifting will always win...

[/thread]

11. JussHatched

Start a Conversation
    Whats funny is thats pretty much true. :)

12. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    i actually dissagree with the previous statement.. drifting is just a way to slow down and point the nose in the right direction in tight hairpin turns... but on a 90 degrees .. i would think that grip could be just as affective as a drift...

if you drift a 90 degree corner... your slidding hard to Slow the car down while pointing the nose in the right direction... you have all lose of traction untill you can straighten the car out in the next turn and finaly get the wheels to grab....

if you grip good ... you can slow the car down by simply using your brakes and grabbing gears... but you are able to accelerate even sometimes before you begin a corner and tuck the nose... Grip at all times.. no lose on time...

Just like in drag racing when you cherp gears .. your actually loosing time.... Vrs maintaining tires to the ground and slightly riding the clutch for a split second..

13. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    you really missed the "greater than or equil to" part of my post...

oh and as for your assumption that there is a loss of acceleration out of a corner because your wheels are spinning... that's only on "show drifting"

comp. drifting is basically pointing the nose at the exit only at the apex of the drift, like in rally racing. idk maybe you actually have to drive a RWD car to truly understand. all you FWD people just floor it to correct your under which = fail

14. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    Actually i was Rocking an AE86 for about 2 years... i know how to drive a RWD car very well... and i understand the concept of drift and grip... especially considering i had an enderpowered car... not to mention that i've been driving a RWD for most of my driving career.. and yes i completly understand how to let go of the gas for the tires to grip and what not... its alot more difficult to explaine what im saying in words... but like a said a small combination of grip and drift is optimal... but i favor Grip if we are talking about speed... regardless of what anybodie says... Drifting = loss of traction = loss of speed

15. krazy J

krazy J New Member

Start a Conversation
    yep if you driving an ae86 you will understand how a combination of drift/grip can be faster than just grip

16. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    i did drive one .. for 2 years... :) i still preffered the grip part... but thats what my AE was built for!

17. krazy J

krazy J New Member

Start a Conversation
    I prefer grip too but drifting is always fun ;) , can you tell me the setup off your hachiroku? please :D

18. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    Sure ... I had 15x7.5 +6 offset and 15x8 +10 offset on 205-50-15 Kumho exta MX... TRD japan race springs (blues) 6K front and 5K rear... TRD japan Race shocks (blues) Project Mu camber plates... Cusco front and rear strut bars... Panhard bar.. Full project mu brake set up .. titan kai pads .. Rotors Cryo slotted and dimpled... OEM rears...

19. krazy J

krazy J New Member

Start a Conversation
    nice hehe good setup, I tink about trd race spring too, cause my eibach prokit suck loll

20. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    I did a diffrent set up on my buddies hatchi! it work realy well too .. we did the Ground Control Coilover conversion kit for the frot with 8k springs .. and 6k rear TRD's on Tockico HTS's ... thats a nice set up too... I still kicked his ass on the canyons tho... but he's set up could definatly drift much better then mine.. Grip VRS Drift... pretty much..