1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine bay cleaning

Discussion in 'Exterior and Detailing' started by i'm.not.JDM, Oct 27, 2006.

1. i'm.not.JDM

i'm.not.JDM New Member

Start a Conversation
    does anyone know the PROPER way to clean a dirty engine bay? i usually just use degreaser on a rag and wipe. but i never get the results i like. i cant bring it upon myself to blast the engine directly with anything. can someone post up what they use how they do it?!

2. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    ***From Honda But ~WORKS~ for ALL Imports***

Some General Tips:

Clean the engine bay before washing the vehicle so that any grease and dirt that lands on the vehicle during engine bay cleaning will simply be washed off during the wash step.

Use a fender protector or drape wet towels over the front fenders to protect the paint from the spotting and streaking that can occur when using strong cleaners and degreasers. This also protects the finish from scratching while you lean over the fenders to work on the engine bay. Watches, jewelry and belt buckles can also cause scratches.

The computer and electronic modules of many Honda’s are located in a separate compartment in the Upper left- or Lower right-hand corners of the engine bay. Keep water out of this area to reduce the possibility of damage to these vital engine components. You can wipe them with a damp towel to clean off any dirt or dust.

A Well Dressed Honda engine looks incredible, but it can also attract dust very quickly. Be sure to wipe off any excess dressing with a clean towel.

Should you steam clean your engine?

Honda says don’t do it!

Honda says high-pressure steam cleaning can force solutions into the engine harness sheath and associated cables, causing unusual problems that would not have occurred otherwise. Honda engine harness multi-plugs and related sealing measures are not designed to be subjected to the discharge velocity and force of typical commercial steam cleaning units. Further, cleaning solutions with the high-pressure discharge can leave conductive and often corrosive residues deep within the harness and cables.

Honda says its engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine steam cleaning is unnecessary and Should be Restricted to Extreme Cleaning Jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

Here is the engine washing procedure recommended by Honda:

Bring the engine to operating temperature, and switch the engine Off. This will losen any Grease Build Up

Cover or Shield any component--such as the ignition distributor, multi-connectors, etc.--in the area to be cleaned with Plastic Sheeting.

Apply engine degreaser or general engine cleaning solvent to the dirty area, allowing it to soak for at least five minutes.

Gently Spray warm water on the area to be cleaned, flushing the solvent and the contaminants.

Do not aim the water spray directly at components. Do not use the water spray any longer than necessary. Do not wash the entire engine compartment when only one area requires degreasing, such as the front crankshaft radial seal, Oil filter replacement, etc.

Blow the cleaned area dry immediately with moderate-pressure compressed air.

Start the engine immediately and road test the vehicle to confirm satisfactory operation.

3. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    good writeup clutch...i'm kinda in the same boat as i'm.not.jdm i am still kinda skeptical of spraying my engine down with water, even though that's really the only efficient way to get all the gunk off. i'll have to try it out sometime though.:)

4. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    ok heres the secret. i worked at Ziebart Tidy car as a professional detailer so you can take my advice, no worries! and i've cleaned god knows how many engines. first of all how dirty is your engine? lets just asume its bad. bad as in greasy film on all the painted surfaces and dirt and oil on the engine. if you have access to a product called Panel Bright, that stuff is amazing. it will make tar run off of your paint w/o hurting the paint. if not use Simple Green straight. this works best at a car wash or with a pressure washer. wet the engine lightly. then spray the simple green everywhere. if theres a spot thats thick with grease, spray the shit out of it. dont let it dry. if it starts to dry, wet the engine lighty again. use a stiff bristle tooth brush to clean the small spaces. and use a dish scrubber pad to clean all the large surfaces. it might take a while and major elbow grease, but once its clean its easy to keep it that way! rinse when you are happy with the results. DONT SPRAY YOUR AIR CLEANER, OR YOUR DISTRIBUTOR DIRECTLY. if your car starts to idle like shit that means (98% of the time) that you have a little water in your distributor. its ok. take the cover off and dry it out. should fix it. if there are places on your firewall that are still dirty use Amour All orange wipes to clean further. they work great for this. disolves grease! if you want your engine to bling you can use a little (and i mean a little) wire wheel acid on the front of the block and trans. wet, spray and wait about 10 seconds. rinse well. makes engines very bright. dont get it on anything else! after its COMPLETELY DRY and clean wax the painted surfaces. spray an aerosol vinyl shine product all over everything. close your hood and drive around and do whatever. dont wipe it off untill the next day (the longer you can let it sit the better). the heat of your engine kinda bakes the product on. wipe if off the rest of the way with a terry cloth towel. usually takes about 3-4 towels. and they are usually black when your done, so dont use moms good ones out of the kitchen! lol! heres a couple pics of before and after with my door jams when i first got my car. Simple Green! hope this helps. if you have ANY questions about anything i have suggested please feel free to ask!! :)
    BEFORE:
    1111.JPG
    AFTER:
    1100.JPG
    1111.JPG 1100.JPG

5. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
  6. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    good stuff dbendel, i'll have to try this out sometime next summer...especially on the door jams. it's too cold to wash the car right now though, lol. good pointers though:thumbup:

7. panzer_ko

panzer_ko New Member

Start a Conversation
    I just BLOW THE SHIT outta the engine bay with hot car wash water...for about two minutes...wrap the K&N with a plastic bag and the coil packs with plastic wrap... all this works well, then put degreaser and windex...yes windex...it does not only windows but the engine! :eek:hsnap:

8. i'm.not.JDM

i'm.not.JDM New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks guys. off to work i go. i'll have before and after pics...

9. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    YAY!!! PICS!! its like waiting for Christmas!!! :)

10. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    ^^:roflmao:

11. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    nice write up!