1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat vs. Gloss with clearcoat

Discussion in 'Exterior and Detailing' started by Shaggy, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    when painting parts such as valve covers, is it best to use a flat color and let the clear coat provide the shine or use a gloss paint and then spray the clear?

2. ONEateEessex

ONEateEessex New Member

Start a Conversation
    thats a good question i dont know i have never tried to clear a flat color befor
    i have always done just glossy or glossy then clear

3. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    i went ahead and used the duplicolor engine enamel paints. primer, universal black, and clearcoat. the results turned out good. i hand-painted the "H" & VTEC with metal flake silver. if you do this be sure not to use fast dry paint. you have to take it slow when doing the letters and it starts drying rough. i had to get the outlines first then sand the rough off then repaint. the valvecover pic is when the clearcoat was still drying and i inluded one after reinstalling it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ONEateEessex

ONEateEessex New Member

Start a Conversation
    looks pretty good

5. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    ya i really need to invest in a good camera. im happy with the way it turned out but looks like crap to me in the pics. gota take care of my rusty components under the hood still. that will probly get done when i paint the car at the end of this month.

6. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    i did mine with a hi-temp primer, then a black basecoat, followed by a chameleon semi-gloss top coat, then a hi-temp gloss for a final coat. and here's how it turned out. but this was just an experiment, it turned out o.kay for my first foray into painting a valvecover...but i need to re-paint it all over because the wind was blowing pollen and dust everywhere when i applied the final coats of paint...and there's minor imperfections in it. so, i'm trying a different method on a spare valve cover I have and hopefully it turns out better. your's looks like it turned out nice though. good job mang:) :thumbup:

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics009.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics013.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics014.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics001.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics015.jpg
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics009.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics013.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics014.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics001.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics015.jpg

7. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Im sure it looks good in person but you still need to clean that engine bay ;) BTW I would probably recommend using a gloss paint and clearcoat for the best shine.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    /\.....ya your right my bay is nasty. if i would have noticed that before i would have angled the camera differently hah. ahwell 150miles daily will do that i guess. no worries, it will all look "pretty" soon. :thumbup: the chameleon valve cover looks neat man.

9. Padron

Padron New Member

Start a Conversation

Looks Sweet!! Nice paint job
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics009.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics013.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics014.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics001.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics015.jpg

10. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks, i wanted to paint my valvecover the J's Racing teal color, but then i found chameleon and am happy with it for now:) i changed that oddball mugen resevoir cover w/ a spoon one so it matches all around...i think next will be blue radiator hoses from SAMCO. we'll see:) thanks again:rocks: