1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gauge Cluster & Temp.

Discussion in 'Del Sol' started by delsolmidget, Sep 4, 2006.

1. delsolmidget

delsolmidget New Member

Start a Conversation
    ok i have a problem with my del sol. for some reason the gauges are messed up. i havent done anything to them and this is the second cluster i have had. on the first one the speedo didnt work at all and the fuel gauge was a little messed up( it didnt take me more than 210 miles and i would be on empty). on the second one that i bought it worked fine even the speedo. th fuel gauge worked too i could get about 314 miles before it was on empty, and up until last week it worked like that. but now it is like the other fuel gauge. i dont have a clue as to what the hell is going on.

the other thing is that my temp gauge is weird. i know in all the hondas that i have been in that the temp only goes up about 4 lines but mine goes up about 6 or 7. could the radiator cap cause this or could it be something else.

Please help if you can!!!:help:

Thanks!

2. djdshaw

djdshaw New Member

Start a Conversation
    Sounds like it could be the sender unit in the fuel tank. If its done the same thing with both gauges its more likely to be at the fuel tank end than the gauge end.
    As for the temp if the temp is going up & stopping I would'nt worry about it.
    If the rad cap is not holding pressure you will notice that the water level will go down, fill the plastic reservoir to the max run it for a while & check the level if its empty then you have a problem. If you are running with no water the gauge would keep going up, not stop, then just before the red the fan will cut in & bring it down.
    Hope that helps

3. delsolmidget

delsolmidget New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks man that does help i will look in to the fuel tank thing. and the temp when i can. but another question: would it matter if i didnt use honda specific coolant? thanks again!!

4. djdshaw

djdshaw New Member

Start a Conversation
    If you are not sure if you have a leak just top it up with water in the overflow tank. You in Tennesse? I live in the UK & coolant is a must here but where you are I don't know what extremes of temperature you get.
    You are best using a decent coolant jujst check it is the same spec as the Honda stuff.

5. EL BAN

EL BAN New Member

Start a Conversation
    I really don't think it's the coolant type, in PR 80% of cars people fill up with water and it works fine I DONT DO IT CAUSE it fills the head passages with waste..

The fuel must be what david says, the in tank unit you should check that out.

About the temp if I'm not mistaken you swapped the h22 right? When we did it on my accord it took some time before we had all hooked up like it should including fans, you should check that its working ok, and that you don't have any leaks either in hoses or in the reservoir.. the temp should reach about 1/3 or a bit more of the gauge, does you car have air conditioning does it heat up when you use it? you should check that fan also.. hope you get it fixed up

6. delsolmidget

delsolmidget New Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah i dont use just water it bothers me to do that i dont think it cools as well as a coolant. but yeah i swapped the H22 into the sol. and i know that there are no leaks i let it run for quite awhile to see if it would and i know the fan works cause i can hear it over everything when it cuts on. and i took all the air conditioning stuff out cause it hasnt worked since i got the car. but im just not sure why it would do this. im going to try adn test the cap this week to see if that is the problem.

7. EL BAN

EL BAN New Member

Start a Conversation
    But what do you think it can be a cap with a pressure different from the one needed? Cause when my 1.5 started heating up badly when the water pump failed I filled the radiator up and just put the cap slightly on half a twist so it would be loose and the car ran about 100 miles to get home with no problems, it the cap was all out tight at 20 miles it would run to HIGH temp..

8. delsolmidget

delsolmidget New Member

Start a Conversation
    well the reason i thought it would be the cap is that i thought it might not be holding any pressure at all and just letting it all run through and sit in one spot instead of it being pressurized and and running through all the time.

9. EL BAN

EL BAN New Member

Start a Conversation
    Try using another one then, just let us know when you find out what it was..

10. delsolmidget

delsolmidget New Member

Start a Conversation
    will do man

11. imm0rt41

imm0rt41 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Are you using the stock Del Sol radiator? If it is from an S or Si stock it may or may not be enough to cool the big H22 fully and that is why it is up around 6 or 7 bars on the gauge.

12. delsolmidget

delsolmidget New Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah i am using the stock radiator but i was told that so long as i use a dual core i would be fine and thats what i have in it.