1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go-Kart Modding

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by Nachtmensch, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    this isnt really car related as this area is designated, but it's not quite off topic.

so here it goes...

ever since i was little, my dad always had this 3hp rear engine go-kart. ive always wanted to drive it, and until just about 3 years ago i never have. so here i am, driving this little thing that is 1" from the ground around my neighborhood to test this toy out, seeing as ive always wanted to. anyways, after all of that, the kart went back into storage because we have no room for it.

so cut to now. ive taken a few classes on motors (one on small engines specifically) so i know my way around this 3hp Briggs and Stratton motor. ive dissassembled a few and put them back together without a problem. so today, i decide, im going to make this as fast as i can for under $10 (im broke). i start by pulling this 1985 motor apart and seeing how dirty it is. perfectly clean, looks barely used. sweet!

i disassemble it completely and it is sitting on my brand spanking new workbench (Christmas gift) using only a 1/2, 3/8 and 7/16 sockets and wrenches. simple. feeling a relief of accomplishment, i look around to see what i have to mod this thing.

i grab a circular file (less than 1/4" in diameter, and about 6" long) and start filing down the suprisingly jagged edges around the intake and exhaust valves where the air enters and exits.

this is taking too long. :devious:

out comes the dremel! i put on a rounded cone shaped bit and get to work. im carful to not touch the valve seats knowing that would fuck over my block. this thing is looking good. i should be making a few more fractions of a horsepower atleast with this. i still have to sand this down with fine sandpaper until it's super smooth.

heres the plan for tomorrow. the exhaust/muffler screws directly onto the block where the exhaust port is located. im going to go to a local hardware store and get me a new exhaust. probably a 4" long and 1" diameter pipe to see how that sounds.

i'll update tomorrow with pictures :rocks:

does anyone have any other suggestings for cheap mods i can do? i was thinking of changing the chain sprockets on the wheel and the crankshaft to give me a better ratio for better accelleration/top speed.

oh this will be fun :roflmao:
    -kevin

2. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    :woot:

update with pics. i wanna see so i can do that kind of thing to my mower... no joke:)

3. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    assuming that it has the original air filter. you know the sponge with the metal cover over it. restrictive as hell! maybe you could get a velocity stack for it with a better filter! might not help, but its cheap and it'll look cool! lol! :)

4. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
  5. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    i was thinking about this one. the filter is still reletively clean, but lik emy motor, it is from the 80's :eek:hsnap: i was thinking about fabbing something. i'll take a look around when i go to the hardware store.

sweet! i'll see if i come up with any money for this. i've been in need to build something lately. i miss the days of building my lsvtec :(

6. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    hahaha come build my motor then lol

anyways the intake idea is a good thing, however you are going to a dangorus route by changing the sproket sizes. you really can only go one way on this. smaller for better speed but you'll loose accel. or bigger for more accel but there goes your top end. [done this]

one other thing you could do is figure out what is the speed limiter on this engine and raise it. i'd need to look at it to tell you this one. however you could saftly get a few more revs out of it with a little tinkering. idk there are a ton of things that could be done. and i need to pick up that valve compressor from you so i might be by today.

7. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    got it back together. havent started it because i need to do some trouble shooting (im thinking it is the spark plug... :() my exhaust is ghetto but should do the deed. i have some more fabrication to do on the velocity stack though :p

8. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    get some pics up yo!! :)

9. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    ill go out and snap some haha

10. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    it starts but has a lumpy idle. ill mess with the carb later. its all in the carb and throttle cable that is broken.

the kart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ghetto exhaust haha, ill weld something up later
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the wing is currently off and ill be making the veocity stack look much nicer later. i just clameped a rubber band on for now til she runs fine

11. Mikey

Mikey New Member

Start a Conversation
    Drop the D16 in there!

hahaha

12. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    as soon as i get an auto tranny... :poke:

ill make it a paddle shifted d16 powered kart :p

13. Mikey

Mikey New Member

Start a Conversation
    I would give you mine... But I am thinking of turning my car into a winter car and getting a used Lotus Elise or Exige in a year or two when I get a job and house.

I could always just turn the Civic manual trans and Mini-me just for fun though. Prolly will too to learn how to drive, haha. So you could have an auto trans in the spring.

14. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    that's badazz.. lol