1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i tell if this is a vlsd?

Discussion in '240SX Silvia' started by drifter_240sx, Feb 16, 2007.

1. drifter_240sx

drifter_240sx New Member

Start a Conversation
    alright i got this thing a while back in a deal it came along with my sr20det the gy said it was a vlsd, my question is how do i tell if its a vlsd

ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g81_dualist4thest_cars003.jpg

ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g81_dualist4thest_cars004.jpg

ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g81_dualist4thest_cars002.jpg
    ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g81_dualist4thest_cars003.jpg ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g81_dualist4thest_cars004.jpg ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g81_dualist4thest_cars002.jpg

2. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    thump it like a melon, if it has a hollow sound then it is! j/k lol! sorry i have no clue! :)

3. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    well there is the technical way and the fun way to tell if it is a VLSD

you could remove the rear cover and look at it [pretty obvious when it's a VLSD because you won't see any pinion gears]

or you could install it in the car, turn your wheels all the way to lock, rev to 4000rpm and dump the clutch. if it's a VLSD you'll do doughnuts, if not one wheel wonder.

4. drifter_240sx

drifter_240sx New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanx i got it sold for 250 if it s a vlsd but i dont wana jew some one so im making sure. Im not ignorant or any thing by any means, im just not familuar with vlsd's

5. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    if you pop the cover off. the VLSD looks liek this: "[ o ]" and the open diff looks liek this "[ [] ]"

heres the only pic i have of the open diff (welded). take note of the square opening where you can see the welded spider gears
    [​IMG]

6. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Good Example Above ...

Open Differential
    awww.quadratec.com_Assets_Knowledgebase_Image_opendiff.jpg

With an Open Differential, torque is transferred to both wheels, with more going to the wheel spinning fastest. Since it is easier to spin a wheel that isn't gripping, that wheel gets more power applied to it, increasing any traction problems.

Limited Slip Differential
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Limited Slip Differential applies torque to the wheel spinning the slowest. If one wheel loses traction, power is transferred to the other wheel.

Viscous Limited Slip Differential
    awww.miata.net_garage_diffguide_03.jpg

A Viscous Limited Slip Differential uses a series of stacked slotted discs attached to the ends of each axle shaft, with silicon fluid between them. When one wheel loses grip, the discs coupled to that wheel will rotate quicker than the others. This causes friction between the two discs that heat up the silicon fluid. The silicon expands and pushes the discs together, locking them and transferring more power to the wheel with grip. Most stock Nissan LSD's , such as the 350Z, G35, and older Altimas (newer ones are open diff) are the viscous type. They are smooth but not as great at transferring power.

Mechanical Limited Slip
    [​IMG]

awww.evolutionm.net_features_imagebin_powertrain_image040.jpg

A Mechanical Limited Slip transfers torque to the slower spinning wheel by using a spring loaded or cam actuated multi-plate clutch between the axles. Mechanical LSD's can be the most efficient LSDs but they can be noisy and rough in operation. Some Nissan trucks and Pathfinders use this sort of diff. Most aftermarket LSD's are clutch type as well. The cam actuated clutch type diffs can be classified as one way, 1.5 way and 2 way. The 1 way diffs work during acceleration. The 1.5 way diffs work slightly while the car is braking as well. A 1 way or 1.5 way works best on FWD cars or cars not used for hardcore road racing. The 2 way diffs work during acceleration and braking. Two ways work best for drag racing, hardcore road racing on high-powered cars and for drifting. The cams mounts in the differential over the pinion shafts and applies a wedging force to the clutch plates when the axles spin at different speeds. The cam profile determines if the diff is going to be a 1 way, a 1.5 way or a 2 way. The final type is the helical gear, which have longer angled teeth that can mesh two unparallel shafts. The stock 6 speed Spec-V's and Maximas, and the Quaife are of this type. These diffs use the fact that a spur gear can turn a worm gear but not vice versa, to provide the locking action. They are very smooth in operation and also have good locking capacity.

Phantom Grip, Nismo, Cusco, and Quaife all offer aftermarket limited slip differentials for the 1989-1998 240sx's for a few hundred dollars. Your other option is to replace your differential with a LSD model from another Nissan, about $300 at a junkyard. These are your easiest choices for a swap: all Canadian 240sx's and the 240sx's with Super Hicas had VLSD. You can also use the differential from a non-aspirated 1990+ 300zx- not the twin turbo version! The NA one has the same gear ratio (4.083:1) while the twin turbo one has a 3.61:1 gear ratio. One caveat- you will have to replace the output shafts on the differential so it will bolt up to the 240sx driveshaft because the bolt pattern is different. That will cost another $200-300. There are a few ways to check for the LSD's if you're looking through the junkyard. There should be an orange sticker on the differential that identifies it as an LSD... Otherwise, jack the car up, put it in gear, and spin one wheel by hand.

An open diff will spin both tires freely, in opposite directions.

With a VSLD, the other wheel will be more difficult to spin but spins in the same direction.

This is a fairly straightforward install for most wrench monkeys but be careful- the differential is heavy! Support its weight with a jack to avoid getting crushed like a soda can beneath the tire of a semi truck. You also need to switch to LSD fluid or add an LSD additive after an install.
    awww.quadratec.com_Assets_Knowledgebase_Image_opendiff.jpg awww.miata.net_garage_diffguide_03.jpg awww.evolutionm.net_features_imagebin_powertrain_image040.jpg

7. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah see there we go, clutch the king of pics has it covered

[i think my take it for some doughnuts test is better :p]

8. drifter_240sx

drifter_240sx New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanx i knew it was a vlsd, asoon as i ppped the cover of thanx doe the help u all