1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a free "performance chip"

Discussion in '96-00 Civic' started by dcinaustin, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dcinaustin

dcinaustin Member

Start a Conversation
    I ordered some alloy mesh for my si grill kit from ebay and it comes with a free "performance chip" I think it is a signal restricter or something like that, it says that it will not damage the engine and that it sends a signal to the comuter that tells it that the air from the intake is 56 degrees and it's suppose to add up 20HP. (I haven't got it in the mail yet)

Just wondering... is this Bull Shit or real?:googly: :bs: :help:

2. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    PLEASE Throw that 5 cent Radioshack resistor/"super chip" in the trash as soon as you get it. Tricking your computer is not how you get horse power, thats how you lose power. There is a reason a good chip costs a few hundred bucks. When you get the grill post it up so we can see it!

3. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    knowing as much as i know about ECM's and how they read sencor data... that seems like a very bad idea for 2 reasons...

one, if the intake air temp is always 56 degrees the eECM will realize something is wrong when it runs it's rationality monitor on that component and checks it against the ECT... thus causing the ecm to go to open loop, turn on the MIL and reset in limp mode

two, be not getting the correct signal from the IAT and since your car has no MAF the ECM will calculate the wrong airflow rate based on only one input [the MAP] and thus dump gas into the engine, turn on the MIL and go to limp mode

so, if you install that shit box you will get at least 2 P01 codes and a ton of P10 codes logged

good luck with that :thumbup:

4. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    trash that ish as soon as you get it mang. :thumbup:

5. DelSlowSI

DelSlowSI New Member

Start a Conversation
    get rid of that "chip".....i have had too many friends mess up their cars with the ebay fake chips