1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need help

Discussion in '90-93 Integra' started by Hukt0nWax, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Hukt0nWax

Hukt0nWax New Member

Start a Conversation
    first and formost i am a new member to this site... i joined for the answering of this question...

i have a 90 integra rs stock everything..... i bought the car for $800 i have a code 4 being thrown from my ecu... it runs fine when it's cold but when it warms up it starts to redline in nutral at 3,300 rpm's.... what should i do?

thank you in advance if anyone answers my question...

2. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    any other drivability issues. shuttering anything like that. code 4 check engine light. right. if so i will post what it could possibly be.

3. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well code 4 is the crank sensor. i can post how to check for it and fix it if that is the right one. make sure the check engine light is working properly.
    to do this.
    turn ignition on after about 2 secs. the led light should go out if it does then it is an intermittent problem and you will need to drive the vehicle till it comes on again.

if it doesnt go out then i will post how to check the ecu right in your driveway and save you lots of money. the test would be the same thing any mechanic would do. so post back and tell me exactly what is going on.

4. Hukt0nWax

Hukt0nWax New Member

Start a Conversation
    i guess i should of said i already took the carpet up from the passenger side foot placement and checked the ecu... the car is fine.. up untill it heats up and the check engine light does come on at that time it does it's stuttersteps and decides to be a bitch... thank you man your the first person to sound like he knows what he's talking about.... i got the money to go get the part but i don't wanna pay $150 to have a mechanic look at it and say maybe... it's this

5. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well another thing to do and i am glad that you pulled the carpet up is to look on the top or on the ecu and there will be an led. if the led is red there is a problem if it is flashing another problem and so on. the little test to do is start the car and watch the light if it green when the car is running fine then cool try to let the car run or drive it till it heats up then watch that light.

watch how many times it blinks and then tell me how many and i will pin point your problem for you.

so dont buy any parts till this test is done.

6. Hukt0nWax

Hukt0nWax New Member

Start a Conversation
    as soon as i turn the car on the ecu blinks red 4 times pretty quickly then pauses then does the count over again to 4

7. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    ok so it is the crank sensor this is how to correct it

you will need some basic tools and a voltmeter. hopefully you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

8. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    how to fix crank sensor in 1990 integra rs.

Code 4: Crank Sensor

1. Turn ignition off. Remove hazard fuse at battery positive terminal for 10 seconds to reset ECU. Start engine and observe CHECK ENGINE and ECU LED lights. If lights are off, problem is intermittent. Check for poor or loose connections at distributor connector and connector C216 at right shock tower. Test drive and check again.

2. If CHECK ENGINE light is on and LED indicates Code 4, turn ignition off. Disconnect 8-pin connector from TDC/Cyl/Crank sensor connector at distributor. Measure resistance between terminals "C" and "D".
    See Fig. 2. If resistance is not 350-700 ohms, replace distributor assembly. If resistance is within specification, check for continuity between ground and terminals "C" and "D". If continuity exists, sensor is shorted to ground. Replace distributor assembly.

Fig. 2
    ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh275_93KA7_mitchell_integrarspic.jpg

this should be it there is two other steps to the process and i will post them if they are needed.

good luck and report back with the results or any further questions.
    ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh275_93KA7_mitchell_integrarspic.jpg

9. Hukt0nWax

Hukt0nWax New Member

Start a Conversation
    i fixxxed it i actually took the distributor off today and there was a huge hole where the sensor would be the car is up and running again thank you very much for helping me out on this man

10. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Tech Level Awarded

Great Info Points an Rep Added... :rocks:

11. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    great glad to hear it and i am assuming that you had to put a new sensor in correct? any other questions just let me know