1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a JDM Honda

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by ForceFedIntegra, Apr 27, 2006.

1. ForceFedIntegra

ForceFedIntegra New Member

Start a Conversation
    As you may know, all the Japanese specifications vehicles (JDM car) are Right Hand Drive. Unfortunately, it is difficult to import JDM cars into the US at present except the 25 years or older model, race cars, show cars, and kit cars. It is because you have to obtain the approval from the DOT and the EPA in order to import the JDM car and it needs to legalize a car when it will reach to the US port.

Let me advise you that unless you wish to present crash test data for any Right Hand Drive car, it cannot legally be imported to the US. This is prohibitively expensive as a vehicle must be crashed to obtain the data, and we do not support the crash test data. Also the JDM car probably do not meet the US emission standard. And after 1996 models probably need to install the OBD2 system in order to pass the emission standard.

For your information, here is a link of the US importing information.
    EPA : http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quikover.htm
    DOT : http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
    US customs : http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/import/

As of Oct 2003 the only RHD JDM allowed for import into US is 1990-1999 Skyline GTS GTR. The vehicle must go to US conversion company (est 8k-18k USD) to meet US DOT standards. And you have to give them a returnable "bond" of 150% of vehicle value until conversion is done. If you get caught with an illegal one on the roads it will be confiscated and destroyed at your cost.

2. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Do you have the option of destroying it yourself?:D

3. ForceFedIntegra

ForceFedIntegra New Member

Start a Conversation
    haha i dunno. you have to pay for it though. its a sh*tty situation

4. cabezzzdb8

cabezzzdb8 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Wow,nice info, there's suprisingly alot of illegal JDM cars around here, latest addition is a 98 Mitsu EVO, just sick

5. alaskan_teg00

alaskan_teg00 O.G. Member

Start a Conversation
    Damn thats crazy. My friend was saying another way is you buy a few of the vehicles you wanted and they have to go through some sort of crash tests. Then you get to take one. I have no idea though but either way its tough to do that. You'd be a real JDM whore if you were sucessful.

6. BRANDON

BRANDON New Member

Start a Conversation
    I had a 96 JDM ITR, Sucked going to tacobell alone at night, drive ups are a pain.

I was forced to sell it ! :( I couldnt park it anywhere without people testing the car to see if it had a alarm.
    It was Stolen or Attempted stolen 30 times in the 1st month.

The JDM ITR was imported to Canada, then Imported from Canada to USA.

Thats my RHD story for the day.. :)

7. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Yeah, they do attract alot of attention. Espcecially to thieves, as almost every part on the ITR has a high sale value.

8. SiR

SiR New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yea and the shitty thing is that its my Favorite kind of car....:( All though there is a Civic Coupe in my city with a ITR engine in it...even though he says its a GSR...haha me and him are tight so he told me the "Truth"

9. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Other ways of Importing...

There are other ways of Importing RHDs Into the States because in California they are all over the place in all models I have seen RHD EF/EGs/EKs/ITRs/ Preludes/S14s/S15s/Truenos etc...

I also herd that you can Import under a Business name for Show Purposes Only...

What are Other Ways of Importing...??? :ermm:

10. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I would recommend an importer to do it for you. They are popping up all ove the place now. Lots in Gardena, Ca who do S13s, S14s, pretty much all Hondas etc.
    Kinda of like how Motorex does Skylines. These companies will take out the hassle for you, of course expect to pay for their services IMHO which are worth it.

11. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Contact Info...

do you have any Contact Inforrmation because Im in the Market for a S15 Varietta ... :rocks:

12. SiR

SiR New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yea, I love the JDM Integra's...Those are my favorite. Theres only 1 in my city and it does get alot of attention. :googly: im all googly eyed for it. HAHA. Thats pretty crazy how they stick you with paying for all that stuff though...like destroying the car on your cost? You should be able to Smash it yourself like i think daniel said?! Except i would have the heart or will to msash my own car even though it would be done either way!!!
    This is what i would do to them after they smashed it ~~> :chair:

13. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    can you post the sites for the companys that do the importing?...in a few years im hopefully going to import a skyline.....most of the import companies cost like 36k+ that ive seen....i heard it cost less to actually fly there find one, ship it back, and then have it converted to DOT standards...its more time consuming and a hassle but atleast you saved some money and get the car you want.....so in a few years hopefully ill have one lol...gonna have a few buds come with me and hopefully they will get a car too....that would be a nice drive home from Cali to Louisiana....

14. jdm b18c ek6

jdm b18c ek6 New Member

Start a Conversation
    tooo much damn work for me

15. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    yea but its a good excuse to go on vacation and have a nice roadtrip/mini cannonball run with the friends (depending on how many actually do it)...plus i heard japan is really nice...not to mention the cars there lol...

16. BRANDON

BRANDON New Member

Start a Conversation
    I myself living in the Oregon/Washington area. Started to think about... CANADA..

WHAT IF you imported a JDM car to canada, then imported the car from Canada to USA? :)

there MIGHT be some sort of loophole there. Im sure as soon as you got the title registered in Canada You could register it with Washington/Oregon.

Has anyone looked at the laws to IMPORT to canada?

just a idea.

I know to get my RHD ITR on the road.. i had to buy another integra shell... then swap VINS :( yeh.. i know... not a good idea. but.. i owned both cars and wasnt worried about anything like that. bothcars now are destroyed. so.. im not being hunted by the FBI or anything :)

17. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    i think its 25 years or so for canada and i dont think they allow skylines yet....they are more strict there than the US as to which cars you can import.....dont quote me on that i read this a year or so back...

18. fivex684

fivex684 New Member

Start a Conversation
    It's 15 years in Canada. 25 years here in the US.

19. xjdmshezx

xjdmshezx New Member

Start a Conversation
    my boy has a right hand ek4 he bought from cali. kind of destroyed and he re-did the whole thing... its and amazing car, he does RHD conversions too. and there is a R33skyline in my area that was purchased by 2 brothers.. i've seen it at a few shows but thats really it i dont think its street legal.