1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDM 89 240sx

Discussion in '240SX Silvia' started by iron lung, Nov 8, 2006.

1. iron lung

iron lung New Member

Start a Conversation
    my boy called me over today said he had a surprise.... i get there and there is a a 240 SX sitting in his driveway behind his SE Focus. i was awe struck becuase i know the 240's are awesome project cars. this one is in pretty bad shape it has some rust on the body and needs a new interior and lots of engine work. but he got it from a cousin of his for $100. i pop the hood and i see its totally messed up but it runs somehow lol. then i see the engine badge.... its a J-Spec K24 engine!!!!

soooo any suggestions on where to start???

i think we're gonna go s15 eventually but thats bread and this is a secondary project for us since he has his focus and i got my EK.

we got some new belts and filters and i guess we need a cheap intake....

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    JSpec K24... no such thing... JDM S13's came with the CA18DET and SR20DET. USDMs are the only to come with the KA24. dc2_lsvtec should know more, he has a 89' 240SX. But you want my opinion? Get a DOHC KA24 and get a Greddy turbo kit so you can have street legal fun.

3. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    if it is an 89, chances are he has a KA24E like myself. its just a 12v (3 valves per cylinder), 2.4L, SOHC motor. nothing special.

there is no such think as a JDM K24 Nissan motor, or even a JDM KA24 motor. in japan, the zenki (89-90) S13 chassis had a CA18DET. the chuki (91-95) S13 chassis had a red top SR20DET. and finally, the JDM Kouki (96-98) S13 chassis (fastback only) has a black top SR20DET, not to be confused with the S14 black top SR20DET also known as a notch top.

so all said and done, youre friend probably just has the stock SOHC KA24 motor in a beat up, rusted 240sx shell. congrats.

oh, and btw, the "JDM 240sx" is a 180sx (named for the 1.8L motor they recieved initially), or a Silvia depending on the body style.

there are rumors of a very FEW ka24's in japan, but theyre usually in tucks from what i hear and no one wants a shitty motor when they all have turbo motors. and being in america, its much more cost effective to buy a used usdm ka.

-kevin

4. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    :roflmao:

5. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    and if youre wondering about those JDM KA motors; some quick research shows they were offered only in a 2.0L (1998cc)

Specifications
    * Bore × Stroke: 86.0 × 86.0 mm
    * Displacement: 1998 cc
    * Max power: 123 hp (92 kW) @ 5600 rpm
    * Max torque: 128 ft·lbf (174 N·m) @ 3200 rpm
    * Valve Configuration: DOHC, 16 valves
    * Compression ratio: 9.5:1

so if you DO have a JDM KA, you will have less power over a USDM KA.

6. panzer_ko

panzer_ko New Member

Start a Conversation
    Ouch that was pretty harsh of you gentlemen... I think Iron Lung just has a misunderstanding with the engine type, that's all! Please do not laugh at him! All-in-all, good write up about those engines. I had no clue that car came with all those variations. I thought the K20 and K24 came with too many but damn...

7. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    good info on the 240SX motors, i didn't even know that there was an SOHC KA24 motor..if iron lung's buddy goes thru with the restoration of the rusted 240, i'd like to see where it ends up. now, to find a small nissan pickup and swap in an SR20, hmmmm...that'd be the perfect commuter vehicle for me...you can drift it, carry stuff in it, tailgate with it at games, and still carry a surfboard or two in the back when you have a beach day. hmmm, that may be a future project once i get back home to Hawaii.:)

8. iron lung

iron lung New Member

Start a Conversation
    no worries im not offended at all, we're all here to learn and feed of each other right?? well sorry for not clearing it up but it is a KA24 it is a 2.0 but either way i was just surprised someone sold him that car for $100... if all goes well we might end up doing a s15 front end.... we'll see but the truck idea is pretty fresh!!

9. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    good luck trying to fix that...

10. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I Have the Same...

Trust Me I Understand what Your Friend will be Going Through I Own a S13 Also Thats a Peice of :)bs: ) Because I Have to Fix Something Every Time I Drive It~ The Only Advice I Can Give You Is Tell Him to Just Send It To a Reputle Body Shop~ and Have them Restore It For You Cause I Would Not Wish My S13 Restoration Trial an Error on My Worst Enemy~ Although Im Learning More About My Chasis Everyday~ Im Also Spending Twice as Much Money Fixing all the Little Things one at a Time~ When I Could Just Fix The WHOLE Thing In One Set Price... :googly:

But I Do Wish Your Friend the Best of Luck and To Buy a $100 Project to Me IS Still a Damn Good DeaL... :rocks:

11. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    no offense to either you (iron lung) or to clutchone, but imho i would never buy a 'project' s13. the best thing to do with these old cars is to buy the cleanest, most rust free, least problematic chassis you can afford, and go from there. the ONLY problem i have ever had with my car is a grinding transmission (which i knew when i bought it). i dont have rust holes through my frame rails, no rust in my engine bay, my motor runs nice and strong, all my electronics work prefectly, my HUD works without a sign of error, and my interior is very mint (besides 2 cig burns, which i knew about with the purchase).

i can honestly say my car is problem free besides that. i drive it every day (mind you, beating on it and bringing it up to redline more often than not) and she runs like a champ. i tracked her with only breaking a transmission i knew was on its way out. but overall, no problems. no restoring. nothing.

do yourself a favor, save yourself from the headaches and buy one that doesnt require immediate attention. buy a car thats not eady to fall apart and/or explode.

im not trying to be an ass at all, im just trying to help you guys out so you can fully enjoy your S13's like i do mine.

-kevin

12. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    To Restore....

Oh Trust Me I Understand Its Much Much Better By all Means Take the Time to Buy the Most Perfect~ Cleanest Car You Can Get Your Hands On... It Really Saves Time an Money and You Can Just Jump In an Start Her Up with No Problems~ Worry Free, ~Whoop Tee Doo... :spitdrink:

But I Traded My Totaled EH2 for My S13, (Free) and Iron Lungs Friend Bought his For $100 Dollars (I have Spent More on Shoes) So Its Safe to Say Its a Good Deal cause We are Looking at Our Car the Same way American Car Guys Look at a 57' Bel Air in the Junkyard~ with the SouL Intent To Restore~

If you ask Me ~My (Trial an Error) is an Experance Though Painfull Is Helpfull Because Im Now Challenged to Learn More about my S13 than I would If It was In Mint Condition because My Focus is Not Centered on Minor Aspects of the Car to make it Better~ Im focused on the Whole Car to make It Complete... :rocks:

13. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I don't think anyone was laughing at him, but being blunt with facts. Which is good!

I also would have to agree with dc2_lsvtec, and be careful what you get yourself into especially a S13 chassis. Parts aren't exactly abundant and if you have lots of rust your pocketbook may be in for a shock if you are doing a full restore like Clutchone. His case is different as he has the financial means, will and determination and want to blow his wad on. (Did I just say blow his wad???:confused:)

Anyhow. let see some photos if you have them and see exactly what you got your hands on. Perhaps it's not that bad.:)

14. iron lung

iron lung New Member

Start a Conversation
    cool ill post some as soon as i get a chance!

15. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    lmao, you just said blow his wad:D sorry, i just worked 14+ hours, so i'm a little tired, hehehe.

16. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    idk clutch... even though it only cost him $100 to buy the car, if he has to sink $8000 into it to make it a reliable [and that's a conservitive guess] it's really not that much of a deal...

i'm with dc2_lsvtec all the way on this one...

i searched for the cleanest most rust free running 240 i could find, again because i waited and looked really hard i have mine. no problems that i didn't know of when i bought the car [save my right lower ball joint going out on me, but wooo $60 fix] runs wonderfully, no rust [yay GA car] broken tailight [fixed for $20] no headliner {fixed really soon for free] ripped seat [fixed for $20] and one broken/cracked spring [fixed because i know i was going to be lowering the car anyways]

see i'm done fixing my car, and all i'm spending my money on is my modifications.

your bud witt the $100 240 is not going to be able to spend money on mods for quite sometime, well that is unless he just chooses to fix nothing and hes car will never run right.

17. 2000CivicHatch

2000CivicHatch New Member

Start a Conversation
  18. deadpirate

deadpirate New Member

Start a Conversation
    mydriver found a clean and running s13 coupe...we recently swapped the sohc ka to a dohc ka(he likes the ka) and the car runs fine...yes we hve run into a few bugs...one of which my driver brought onto himself...but other than than nothing bad at all...minor body repair(fenders) and a set of 1000 dollar wheels/tires for 350 bucks

the car is coming along nicely...and i personally dont see much wrong with minor repairs and bugs...lets u learn the ins and outs of ur car

19. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    ~It All Comes Down 2 (Time OR Money)~

The Average Body Shop In Southern Cali will Completely Restore a S13 For you for 3-4 Grand~ They will Treat the Car as If It was Totaled and Restore the Car back to Factory Spec~ They Deal with Cars that has Been In Serious Accidents All the Time and a Good Shop Can Have a Car DONE in Under a Month~ and Every Body Shop I Know of will Gladly Take on a Restoration Project If You Have The MONEY... :thumbup:

But If your Broke as Fuck and Living your Life Waiting on your Next PayCheck I Really Dont Suggest Restoration If this will be the ONLY Car You Have... Because Building a Sports Car Yourself Is Not In Any Mean Cheap and You Cant Buy Cheap Parts and Expect an High Quality Car... :nono: :badidea:

On the Other Hand If You make Enough Money to Where Your Eating Very Well and Going Out Every Night and Clubbing Every Weekend, While Spending Most of your Quality Time In the Mall~ It Is Very Possible for you to Restore a Car Your Self ~By Cutting Back on Your Spending Habbits and Creating a Budget For Your Self~ By Setting Aside Money Every Week for Parts and Things on the "Must Fix List" ~You Can Restore Your Car and Gain Alot of knowledge About Your Chasis as You Restore~ But This Process Takes TIME ~Expect YEARS Depending on How Much Money You Set aside Weekly... :ermm:

Also I Know of Some People who Do Side Jobs/ Work Overtime or Work 2 Jobs to Restore there Car Themselves ... :coffee:

This Is Really Nothing New to Me ~I have Witnessed Many American Car Guys Restore there Chevys with "BLOOD SWEAT an TEARS" and they Started off with A SHELL and on LOW Income and Continued to Restore for Many YEARS (And They are Saying~ "Well This here is My Grandfathers Project Car an He Passed It on to My Pappy and Now I Got It... :spitdrink: ) with Every Generation Adding on to "The Family Project"

The Real Point Im Trying to Make Is That ~Its Fun to Tear Down and Rebuild and Restore~ By Your Own Hands~ Its a Worth While Experance that I Suggest Everyone Try at Least Once... IF YOU HAVE ~THE TIME OR THE MONEY~ :cheers:

20. TwoFortySX

TwoFortySX New Member

Start a Conversation
    wow. i really want to post a response with some knowledge in it in this thread but it looks like most of the stuff was already covered.

oh well.
    Jimmy