1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDM Noob

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by pismo, Nov 5, 2007.

1. pismo

pismo New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hi all! I've just recently got my driver's license and been practicing with a junk so far. I have gotten interested JDM cars, but I would like the opinion of the more experienced in what car should I buy...

To get more specific, i'm wanting a car that handles good, good acceleration, decent on the wallet (want to be able to use it for daily use also), and of course sounds + looks good. I'm not particularly interested in the "pop" cars like Skyline or Impreza, especially if there are better options. I live in a city with tight control (CCTV, radar, patrol) so top speed isn't a high priority.

Hope you can help! :help: :)

2. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    well the choice really is more along the lines of personal taste

are there any specific manufactures that you are looking into? [i.e. honda, toyota, nissan, mazda, etc.]

do you need trunk space? four doors?

you mentioned reliability and decent stock performance so given the limited info i cannot really help you

if you narrow it down a bit my advice will be better then just pulling random cars out of a hat

3. JDaM_Driver

JDaM_Driver New Member

Start a Conversation
    ^^What he said. And welcome to the forum.

4. pismo

pismo New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yea, I want Daihatsu. :p Just joking. I'm really not brand loyalist, at least yet. I'm really just looking to see as many people's opinions out there. Like what would you pick for the type of car i'm looking for. I understand taste, but I just want to see if there are some hidden gems you guys might know and I can decide what is tasteful or not later.

Concerning the other points, 4-door or 2-door is fine, just a 4 or 5 seater. For trunk space, just not small. And for performance, better than decent/average on the points I mentioned.

Thanks for your opinion!

5. Sakara

Sakara New Member

Start a Conversation
    toyota all the way :woot: hop in a Celica, MR2 or Supra if u want to pay that much, haha... u wont be dissappointed ;) just make sure it's an older model... late 80's to mid 90's... mr2's had the supercharge option in the late 80's and turbo iption in the early - mid 90's... the celicas had a rare turbo option from 88-93...

nissan 240's, 300z's are nice... mazda rx7's are fun too... 300z's had a twin turbo option, rx7's had turbo in some years. look around and see what u like, haha... everyone is a lil biased on what car they like most and will tell u that car... so check around

6. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    Well where are u located, that makes things easier for us.

7. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    well given that you want a 4 seater [and i'm assuming that means the rear seats actually be functional unlike my glorified leather rear shelf]

toyota cressida

all the way

four door sedan with good seating for five, large trunk

FR

depending on year a 2.8L or 3.0L engine

fun car to VIP out