1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDM power-folding mirrors

Discussion in '96-00 Civic' started by 97-ferio, Aug 15, 2006.

1. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Does anyone know how to install the JDM power-folding mirrors? If you've done this conversion I'd appreciate any info you have. If no one has any info, then thanks for looking.=) Aloha.

here's a few pics of my "new" used JDM mirrors, these pics are from the ebay site...i have to get them painted green now like my car. i just got them in the mail today, can't wait to install them.:rocks:

ai11.ebayimg.com_05_i_07_e6_25_24_1.JPG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's my Ferio right now with the bulky factory mirrors, i'll do an after shot later to compare the two.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics021a.jpg
    ai11.ebayimg.com_05_i_07_e6_25_24_1.JPG ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics021a.jpg

2. my_eg

my_eg New Member

Start a Conversation
    It's not that hard, I did it twice, but does ur car comes with stock power mirror? (will make the job easier), let me l@@k for my wiring paper and let you know

3. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    yup, my car came from the factory with power mirrors. thanks for the help in advance bro.

4. my_eg

my_eg New Member

Start a Conversation
    Well, it seems my place r too messy and I can't find my "Original" notes, but here's one of my buddy's artical that might help u a bit, if not, let me know and I'll try to PDF you a wiring dirgram (which you can also try to look for Haynes, it shows the USDM version, but quit simular to JDM except missing the two power folding harness). Anyhow, here you go:

5. my_eg

my_eg New Member

Start a Conversation
    I did this installation on my '94 Civic Si. I already had power adjustable mirrors, so a lot of the necessary wiring was already there. If you don't have power adjustable mirrors already, you will need to get a power mirror relay along side the equipment for the JDM folding mirrors. This instructions will work for just about any Civic/Integra with the JDM folding mirrors, the wire colors MAY be different but the pin-outs will still be similar. The procedure will be the same too. Although, if you are curious about your wiring and want to be absolutely sure go pick up a Helms. Even little Haynes manuals have wire diagrams.

This install was done with the JDM folding mirror relay, and the JDM folding mirror switch. It is possible to make this work without the OEM relay, although the mirrors won't work like they are supposed to (you have to hold the fold button in to close the mirrors).

Here's the tools I used for this:
    20 AWG wire
    Soldering iron
    22-20 AWG butt connectors (small yellow ones from Radio Shack)
    22-18 AWG tap-ins (Part#64-3053 from Radio Shack...I ended up not using these, but you might)
    Wire cutters
    Wire crimpers
    Wire strippers
    Electrical tape or heat shrink
    Precision screwdriver or hex driver (small enough to fit in harness, above the pin, I used a 1/32" flat blade driver and a small hex. Both can be found in the 16 piece Radio Shack set, Part#64-3053. A good buy.)
    Screwdriver (flat and philips)
    8mm socket

As always unplug the battery before working with anything electrical.

First let's remove the door panels and get the old mirrors off. I don't have any pictures because this is pretty straight forward.

Remove all the screws you can find. In 92-95 Civics there are three, one in the small "pocket," one behind the inside door handle, and one plastic screw in the panel close to the hinge. Remove the plastic bits like the "pocket" and the plastic molding around the handle.

Using a flat blade screw driver, slide it in between the bottom of the panel and the metal part of the door. Give it a quick jerk and the bottom of the panel should pop off.

Use the loosened bottom as a hand hold to start pulling the rest of the door off. Don't worry it's pretty tough, but make sure not to lose any of those gray "fasteners" (for lack of a better word). If you see any gray fasteners left in the frame of the door, pull them out.

Using the flat blade screwdriver lever the black back cover from behind the mirror, so you can get at the nuts.

I'm pretty sure the nuts holding the mirrors are 8mm, but it's been a couple days since I have done this. Remove these and pull the mirror off. Don't lose the rubber gasket, unless you got those with your mirrors.

Mount the JDM mirrors in the opposite fashion. Don't put those panels back on yet though! :eek:)

After that we can start swapping the necessary pins between the JDM and USDM harnesses going to the mirrors and the switch. This is assuming you got the JDM harnesses. If not you will have to rig something up. Ultimately the only thing we are doing here is adding missing pins to the existing USDM harnesses from the JDM.

Lets start with the mirror harnesses. First pop open the tabs, on the JDM harness, holding onto the pins. Use a thin flat blade for this.

You will be removing the two extra pins from the JDM harness, that the USDM harness doesn't have.

Use your "pin removal tool," (aka small screwdriver or hex driver) to gentle pull the pin out. Insert it in the harness right above the wire, you MAY hear a little click. Then pull back on the wire to pull the entire pin out. Don't worry if you don't get it right away, you may have to wiggle it a bit, or you may need a thicker precision tool.

After you have those two pins out of the JDM harness pop the tabs of the USDM harness and put them in there. For the driver's side put the Blu/Red wire in the top portion of the harness and the Grn/Yel in the bottom portion of the harness. Do the opposite for the passenger side, Grn/Yel on top Blu/Red on bottom (See pictures). It seems the pins get reversed for either side. Why this is, I don't know. All I know is once I had everything hooked up, one mirror closed while the other opened.

Once the pins are in, close the tabs and plug 'em in.

Next we do the harness for the mirror switch. Open the JDM harness tabs in the same fashion as the mirror, and remove the Blu/Yel wire ONLY (or whatever color is in the appropriate pin). This is the only pin that will be moved/swapped. Do not swap the Blue wire and the Yel/Red wire in the USDM harness to make it match the JDM harness. The pin-outs of the power mirror relay (not the relay responsible for folding the mirrors) is different in the JDM and USDM, and if you swap these wires it will affect the adjustment of the mirrors themselves. Trust me, I know :eek:P

Next we get to run wires, YAY! We'll start with the wires for the mirrors since they are the hardest. It can be done quickly but look poorly or it can take a while and look more professional. I'll let you know what I did to make it go by quickly and still look decent.

Open up your car door and look into the door jamb, see that rubber seal on the passenger compartment side of the car? Stick your fingers in the and pull/prod/push it off and out.

If you feel like it, stick your fingers in the hole to get a good feel for what is going on in there. You will feel what seems to be a couple layers of metal (you will know what I am talking about when you do it). We are going to need to get the wires past these. This will be a combination of trying to jam the wires in there and laying down trying to reach up under the dash to feel for the wires coming, which isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. I was able to get the wires in just a couple minutes though.

First twist the ends of the wires and then cup the wire combo in you hand holding it with your fingers.

Run the wire by sliding you hand in the jamb like so.

You will be using you fingers to push the wire in the hole, and guide it past the layers. Trust me, once you get a feel for it, it's clear sailing. Or you could get a wire loom.

After you get that one end in, it time to run the rest. I started by running the other end of the wire through the rubber seal seen in picture one. You may need to cut the bottom of the seal to get the wire through there (again you will know what I am talking about if you try to do it).

Then I ran the wire through the seal going into the door frame.

After that you just follow the path of the wires that are already there, assuming you have power mirrors already.

I was just using red and black on the passenger side, and some green and green/black wiring on the driver's side (used too much wire), so I chose a color specific code. The darker color (black or green/black) would be the darker Blu/Red wire, and the lighter color (red or green) would be the Grn/Yel. Then I just used my handy-dandy butt connectors, wrapped with electrical tape, and I was done with that.

Before you wire the plug for the relay, I suggest you find a nice mounting place for your relay. This will help you figure out how much wire you need. I'll show you where I mounted mine, but you don't have to mount in the same place. Fortunately my relay came with the original mounting bracket, so I didn't have to "sticky tape" them anywhere.

I used a bolt inside the metal guard right under the dash. You will have to remove the plastic panel below the steering column to access this. All I did was unscrew the bolt and bolt it back up with the relay attached.

There was enough room behind this plate for the relay to sit. Lucky for me!

Now that the relay is mounted we know how much wire length we will need, and we can start running wire for the mirror switch. You will be running three wires. One will be an extension of the Blu/Yel wire you added the USDM harness, and the other two will be tapped into the switched power and ground.

I started by running a wire to the Blu/Yel wire in pin 1 of the harness. This is the wire that controls the folding functions of the mirrors (i.e. the wire that goes to that special button).

Then I use another one of my convenient butt connectors, then I ran a red wire to the wire coming off pin 9. This is the switched power.

After that, a black wire to the wire coming off pin 10. This is the ground.

There are a couple ways to go about tapping into these wires. I started off trying to use wire taps from Radio Shack. But those are too bulky. So I ended up dusting off my soldering iron and making a CLEAN splice into the necessary wires. Strip just a little shielding off a portion of the wire that is easily accessible. Then wrap your red wire and black wire to their respective "tap-ins" and solder away. I used some nice shrink wrap for this, but electrical tape will finish the job just as well.

Now it's time to connect the final pieces together, the wires from the mirrors and the wire from the switch. All of these are ending up at the folding mirror relay. The way this works is two wires will be going to the respective wires from the JDM harness. Meaning that the wires representing the Grn/Yel from both mirrors will go to one wire (pin 5), and the wires representing the Blu/Red from both mirrors will go to one wire (pin 1).

6. my_eg

my_eg New Member

Start a Conversation
    Let's start with the wires coming from the switch. One thing I want to stress is that the colors of the wires MAY not match up. My wire color didn't match with some of the colors on Mark's diagram. So, you my have to go by the pin number. The wire coming from my splice into pin 10 of the switch (ground) went to the black wire coming from pin 2 on the relay harness. The wire coming from pin 9 of the switch (switched power) went to pin 4 on the relay harness. And the wire coming from pin 1 of the switch (aka Blu/Yel wire) went to pin 3 on the relay harness. Again, I used butt connector for these wires and wrapped them with electrical tape when I was done.

After those wires are done it's time for the real testing. If you were like me you already had your all your wires run from both mirrors. So, take both wires representing the Grn/Yel from both mirrors (for me it was red and green) and twist them together along with the wire coming off pin 5 on the relay harness (mine was blue, but should be Grn/Yel). Then take both wire representing the Blu/Red from both mirrors (for me it was black and green/black) and twist them together along with the wire coming off pin 1 on the relay harness (mine was Blu/Red, which is what it should be). Keep these two connections from touching, plug the harness into the relay, and hook the battery back up. When you turn the car on and press the button (you may have to hit the button twice) both mirrors should fold in together. If they don't fold in at all check the mirror fuse. If one folds in and the other doesn't, or one folds in while the other closes; you will have to switch the Blu/Red and Grn/Yel pins on the bastard mirror. Do this either by switching the pins in the mirror harness or switching the wires going to the JDM relay.

7. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks bro, that's pretty in-depth. I appreciate the help on this.

8. JayNev

JayNev New Member

Start a Conversation
    it's gonna look sweet with those on. post some pics afterwards

9. 2000CivicHatch

2000CivicHatch New Member

Start a Conversation
    are those midori or are they silver??? i'm leaning towards silver, but there is a slight hint of green in there, maybe a reflection

10. imeonic

imeonic New Member

Start a Conversation
    nice..silver! wanna trade? haha
    ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y78_imeonic_zksg9l1.jpg
    btw..ARE THEY oem-jdm?
    if yes,they dont adjust to the specifications of a LHD car..coz they came off a RHD car! i just tought about it when it was already installed..haha
    Good luck adapting with it..you'll get used to it tho..just in case, get a broadway rearview mirror,it helps when you switch lanes

11. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    they are silver...when I first saw them, I thought they were midori too, but I guess it's just a reflection in the picture. They came from hong kong to north dakota in less than three days. pretty awesome. now i just need to get an estimate on the cost for getting them painted my car's color.

12. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    hahaha, yah i'd trade if your's were green and power-folding bro.=) and yes, the mirrors are oem Honda of Japan. i realized the same thing too when I bought them that the view angle would be off a tad for my usdm civic. i don't know how to get around this one...the usdm accord mirrors are able to interchange parts when doing this swap, just by swapping the mirror backings from the u.s. mirror to the japanese one. by doing so they get the correct angle. but for us ek civic owners, i guess we're kinda screwed on this one.:rant: i'll get used to it though. one of the first things i bought for my car was a broadway mirror, cause i had one when i was in okinawa, and the wide view is just so much better compared to the stock rearview mirror.

13. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    i'll be sure to post up pics when it's all installed. i'll also take pics of the installation for future reference. and maybe a short video clip showing them folding in and out just for kicks. i couldn't find installation instructions and pics together for ek civics on any of the forums for this project. i did find some for preludes, integras, and accords tho.:banghead: which sucks in my case. but at least i have the installation instructions now, and password:JDM emailed me a wiring diagram. so i'm set.:)

14. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    here's pictures of the actual mirrors. the guy i bought them from said they came off an SiR EK4 Civic Ferio. i tried my best to get clear shots of the Honda marking on the bottom of the mirrors, sorry for the blurry shots. i used my japanese cell phone as a scale for the size of the mirrors. hey, anyone want to buy some black housing halo projector headlights for their ek? hehehe. =)

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics042.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics043.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics045.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics044.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics048.jpg

here's those projector headlights i was talking about...they're kinda dusty, but still new.=)

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics046.jpg

my friends keep telling me to put them back on my car, but i dunno, what do you guys think?:confused: i'm saving up for oem-jdm type-r headlights right now.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics042.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics043.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics045.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics044.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics048.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics046.jpg

15. imeonic

imeonic New Member

Start a Conversation
    sell it and save up for the oem typeR.. ;)
    do you have contacts from whom we could as parts from and ship it here?

16. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    well, if you want, i can PM you the contact for the guy I bought my mirrors from on eBay, he was able to source a lot of oem-jdm stuff for the JDM EK Civic Ferio for me. let me know bro.:)

17. my_eg

my_eg New Member

Start a Conversation
  18. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    actually, i bought my mirrors from Keith too. He gave me an awesome deal. i wish i new you my_eg before i bought my mirrors. =) maybe i can still tell him i know you the next time i buy something from him and get an even better deal. =) i was surprised because he was able to source all types of parts for me for my EK sedan. so yes, Keith Tau is the man, if you need hard to find parts, he's your guy, well, as far the JDM parts go I guess. not to mention fast shipping, top notch communication, and the items they send you are packed for shipping extremely well.:) :woot:

19. my_eg

my_eg New Member

Start a Conversation
    Good to hear you got the good deal from him. He got warehouse in Malaysia, HK, Japan...etc, that's how he got that good connection.

20. iHEARTmyFERIO

iHEARTmyFERIO New Member

Start a Conversation
    i used to have oem jdm folding mirrors on my car, then i came upon a set of LHD OEM folding mirrors so i quickly bought them and sold my RHD mirrors afterwards.

driving with the rhd mirrors bothered me all the time, it was like that for a few months. when i got the lhd mirrors it was such a relief.