1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)

Discussion in 'The Garage - Member's Show Off Area' started by Kiwi-Corolla, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Kiwi-Corolla

Kiwi-Corolla Active Member

Start a Conversation
    It's been a while since I've taken a photo of my car so here's a random shot I took today:

[​IMG]

2. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    I completed my brake set-up today by installing some braided brake lines. They're made by a company in Australia called Safebrake and are a direct replacement for the factory rubber brake lines. I originally ordered a set of Goodridge braided lines from the US but when they arrived they were for the rear drum brake model, and unfortunately Goodridge don't cater to models outside of the US so there was no rear disc brake version available.

After a bit of research I found these Safebrake lines and got them sent over last week. The quality is superb and they meet/exceed all the necessary legal requirements. During my test drive after the install I noticed that the brakes were much more responsive when I stepped on the pedal. There's no lag or hesitation when braking any more, so I feel as though I can brake later and more aggressively if needs be. Definitely an improvement over the rubber brake lines, and one more thing to get added to my certification plate in the near future :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    I added another item to my TRD collection this weekend by installing a TRD quick shifter. It was specifically designed to fit the AE101 series 5-speed Corollas and was discontinued quite a while ago, but thankfully I managed to get my hands on one last week.

The installation was relatively straight forward as it's a direct replacement for the factory shift lever, and I was finally able to use the OEM leather shift boot I've had sitting here for a while which came on the 6-speed models, as previously it would pop right out of the console every time I changed into 2nd, 4th or reverse as the factory throw was too long.

Gear changes are now much quicker due to the reduced throw and the actual feel of the shifter is a lot better. Previously it would "slop" into gear, but now you can actually feel the gears engage. Admittedly it takes a little bit more effort to change gears but in my opinion it makes shifting feel more satisfying. The actual height of the lever is about the same as stock and it compliments the TRD leather shift knob I've been rocking for a while :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    A few shots from a quick shoot I did today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    I fitted some new wheels yesterday. They're 16x8, 15p offset, 3" chrome lip with gunmetal spokes, slight stretch with 195/45 tires and sit flush as f*ck with the aid of some front and rear camber adjustment. Loving the new look :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    I went for a bit of a photoshoot a few hours ago. Been really enjoying these wheels since I got them a couple of days ago so thought I'd take some decent photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    My latest addition are these sweet looking velocity stack stickers I got sent over from Australia. I find they give the car a little bit more character and are a subtle way of indicating what's under the hood:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    A few small updates from the past few days:

* I had the timing belt, water pump + rear hose, VVT pulley, tensioner, idler pulley and both drive belts replaced on Friday. The timing belt had been done in the past but when I got the engine there was nothing more than a faint outline of where the sticker used to be on the cam cover, so rather than lose sleep at night I decided to get it replaced and did the VVT pulley at the same time (no more rattly diesel noise at idle!). It was a pretty pricey exercise but for the peace of mind alone it was definitely worth it.

* On Friday I fitted some 'TWINCAM 20' stickers that arrived from Australia. After putting them on I immediately regretted not putting them up a little bit higher, so being as fussy as I am, I ordered some more and will have another crack at it once they arrive. All in all I definitely like the look though.

* Last but not least, today I installed a Pivot Speed Meter. This little device gets hooked up to the ECU's speed signal to remove the factory speed limiter and digitally displays your current speed, with the ability to measure the G-force under acceleration/deceleration and your 1/4 mile time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    I took advantage of the public holiday here and the overcast weather and went out to take some more photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    After not being happy with my initial 'TWIN CAM 20' sticker placement a few weeks ago I decided to give it another crack when some more arrived from overseas. It took me a week to decide on the most appropriate placement, and in the end I came to the conclusion that they'd look good on the sideskirts. It's a little bit out of the ordinary, but I like it much better than when they were on the rear doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kiwi-Corolla

Start a Conversation
    My latest addition is this rather rare USDM carpeted trunk lid liner. This was only available for the American market, so being the huge fan of factory options/accessories that I am I just had to have it, even if it wasn't an original JDM item. A good friend in the US kindly sent it over to me and I installed it a few minutes ago.

The bare skin of the trunk lid is no longer visible, creating a more elegant and luxurious look, usually reserved for higher spec'ed cars such as the Lexus range. One unexpected bonus is that the trunk now closes easily on it's own when you drop it from the top due to the extra weight of the carpet, whereas previously it would require a helping hand to latch in properly.

It's certainly not the most exciting optional extra in my collection, but it's simple and effective, just how I like it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. IrishTuner

IrishTuner New Member

Start a Conversation
    You have done an amazing job, modding and restoring it.