1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Del Sol needs a diet!!!!

Discussion in 'Del Sol' started by DelSlowSI, Oct 16, 2006.

1. DelSlowSI

DelSlowSI New Member

Start a Conversation
    hey i was wondering how much extra weight i can strip out of my del sol...like what parts i can take out and dont need...i already dont have P/S or A/C. How much weight can be pulled out of the trunk?

2. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    well i removed all the carpet-like panels out of the trunk and removed the cardboard panel that goes over the spare tire... you could also remove the spare tire, jack, and ttools if you want... i have mine still in the car because i dont want to be stranded(i dont have a cell phone).

3. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    sorry to cut you off in Racing and Street Battles section but its not nice to hijack other's threads but here goes man.

im not sure on the exact weight that can be removed from the trunk but it is a considerable amount. i removed (as mentioned above) spare tire, jack, tools, thinboard sparecover and all the carpet linings. maybe tomoro or so i will take out the targa rack. i also have no a/c but i do have p/s. i removed the carpet and soon soundmat from interior. removed carpet due to condition and not actually because of a weight reduction.

here is a rough guideline to weights for cars in general:
    Cruise control = 4-8lbs
    Power antenna = ~ 3lbs
    Air conditioning = 45-75lbs
    Spare, tools, jack = 20-35lbs
    Passenger seat = ~20lbs?
    Rear wing = 5-10lbs
    carpet = ~5lbs
    Targa rack = 10-15lbs?
    CD player = 3-5lbs
    Speakers = ~1lb or so each
    Drain windshield washer tank = 8.34lbs per gallon of water drained

If you dont want full function dash, you could remove the blower motor and all that but i dont recommend it if its still a street car.

that was the freebee weight reduction. next step is component replacement. carbon fiber is costly but, imo, worth it. there are two types of cf manufacturing methods, Dry and wet layup. wet layup is the cheapest but is also least strongest and heaver than dry layup. think of wet layup as a fiberglass hood process only with carbon fiber instead. dry layup is your best bet. however, cf's looks also degrade when left in the sun.

weight reduction that costs money: (unsure of weight saved on cf)
    CF Hood
    CF Targa
    CF Trunk
    CF Fenders*
    CF Doors*
    Lightweight wheels
    Aftermarket steering wheel**

*dont think i have seen these available for the delsol but havent ever looked either cause im not interested anyway. a bit extreme. im just doing the cf hood like most everyone else.

** "Aftermarket steering wheels do-not have srs airbags. air bags are for your saftey and recommend you consider this when you make your decision. please remember to disconnect the battery when tampering with any circuitry."

thats about all i can think of at the moment im sure thers more but im gettin a bit sleepy. so there you have it. hope this helps a little,

Later man, :rocks:

4. DelSlowSI

DelSlowSI New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks alot...and sry about stealing that other thread (i didnt realize i was)
    again thanks

5. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    no prob. gime a bit and ill type some more on weight reduction if your interested?

6. imm0rt41

imm0rt41 New Member

Start a Conversation
    A CF hood probably weighs around half as much as a stock hood. I bought Jimmy's old hood, and it even has the ribbing underneath so it is street legal here. Another thing to consider with safety.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    /\ true. when using a cf hood it is recommended that you use hoodpins

8. imm0rt41

imm0rt41 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yes, definately I knew I forgot something. If you're gonna go with a lighter hood it is easier for the wind to flip it up so the hoodpins counter that force.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    also when reducing weight, if your an autocross type person, the weight that is from the front axel forward and rear tires back are important places. reducing weight here helps the car maneuver better around corners. this is called the Polar Movement of Inertia, think of it as holding a broomstick by the handle straight out and moving it side to side. now flipit around and hold it by the bristles and move it side to side, its much easier when holding it by the bristles because the handle has much less weight. the same is true with a car.

also another freebee weight tip is keep your car's fuel level 1/4 or less when racing. you can also remove the targa and leave it at home or whatnot.

i forgot to mention before about aluminum flywheels. my Fidanza costed $217 and i love it. it weights only 7lbs vs. 15lbs with the stock one. now my car revs like a frikken chainsaw lol.

10. solbrothers

Start a Conversation

i have seen these parts... will look around and hopefully find these and link them... i think the doors were made by someone named frank... as for the fenders, theres some people on h-t that have these... imo they look awesome combined with a cf hood, but, the stock fenders are really light so i don't see why someone would spend $500 for cf fenders... also i have seen a cf mugen style front bumper and cf mugen style side skirts... \

ill look for links

11. DelSlowSI

DelSlowSI New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks for all the help.....im really gonna look into all that cf stuff

12. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    ok i thought i remembered seeing some but i wasnt for sure. links would be great if you can find some, thanks man.

CAUTION: i would not recommend cf front bumpers etc. for street use. when hit at the wrong angle, cf will shatter where as polyurethane will bend and flex. cf is pretty much the last step in weight reduction and can be quite costly. also cf door panels do not have the protection that a standard door has (correct me if im wrong). i would only say ok to cf door panels if your car has a full "functional" cage. do not build an unsafe car just to make it faster, its not worth it.:)

13. DelSlowSI

DelSlowSI New Member

Start a Conversation
    yea i was just gonna get a hood targa trunk and maybe fenders

14. solbrothers

Start a Conversation
    ol ill look for links

15. solbrothers

Start a Conversation
  16. solbrothers

Start a Conversation
    hope this helps!!

17. EL BAN

EL BAN New Member

Start a Conversation
    Uff never had seen some of those parts.. nice, thanks for the links..

18. DelSlowSI

DelSlowSI New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks for the links, im gonna prolly be buying the rear garnish hood and trunk by christmas...than hopefully i will get a cf front lip and side skirts from santa lol

19. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks for the help bro. i might do the garnish along with my hood but i havent decided yet

20. solbrothers

Start a Conversation
    yeah i want to get the hood, fenders, top, trunk lid, and garnish... but first i need to get rid of my crappy auto tranny... my reverse clutch went out and now i must push my car to back up...