1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh the joy of owning a much less common car...

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by Nachtmensch, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    so first off, my motor made a weird ticking sound. i was told that it was the timing chain hitting the guides. so, i took the valve cover off to inspect. the chain looked ok, so i was a bit confused by it. eventually, long story short... i was driving and forgot a wrench on the crank pulley. stupid me. nissan wanted $325 for a new one, $40 for a used pulley... i bought used.

after waiting a week for this pulley to ship from WI (2hrs north), i got the pulley in the mail. yay.

so i checked the crankshaft for a key, didnt see one, went to nissan. they are 2.15 each, but you can only order 10. fine, w/e, i just want my car to run... i ordered 10. (not in stock, waited 3 days for them, but he gave me a discount haha)

so my ten crank pulley keys come in, i go to install this pulley and have a perfectly running car (minus the ticking). everything goes on eventually, belts squeel, i could care less because im tired. i go inside.

next day, i adjust thew belts some and minimize squeeling. peter and i determine its the AC belt. hell, i dont need AC, i cut it....wrong belt. still squeels >.<

it turns out to be the alternater/waterp pump/fan belt. adjusted. fixed. done.

i realize im 1000 miles past my oil change. went to autozone, got 2 gallons of oil (stocked up) and a new filter (who knows when it was changed last). everything goes really well (much easier than a b-series haha) and wah lah! no more ticking.... stupid hydrolic lifters.... :banghead:

sooooo, everything is nice and dandy right? wrong.

my rear window molding starts comming out (more than it was before)... so today i went to the auto glass place. after sitting for 30minutes past my appointment, i get my estimate.

since my car is an 89, the molding was discontinued from aftermarket... so its $150 OEM. plus, the glass place charges to remove the rear window, $125. so to fix my rear window mold, it will cost me a hefty $275. AND the guy added, "99% of the time the glass doesnt break. if the glass happens to break, you will have to buy a new rear window from nissan (aftermarket glass is discontinued)." i asked how much, "$650" :eek:hsnap:

....damn old cars... :twak: [/rant]

-kevin

2. Mikey

Mikey New Member

Start a Conversation
    I love my Honda.

3. 2000gsr

2000gsr New Member

Start a Conversation
  4. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation