1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old school

Discussion in 'All Other Nissan & Infiniti' started by Chaos Performance, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    i am looking at a 280zx right now for 500 bucks i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on possible upgrades bolt on stuff cuz very soon i am looking into a rb26dett motor or an rb25det motor so mainly looking for chassis and suspension shit right now then motor upgrades

2. titod15sedan

titod15sedan New Member

Start a Conversation
    is it a zx or a z? what year is it , 2+2 or 2 seater, turbo or n/a?

3. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well i havent really checked the car out but am looking at it every day i go by and my dad knows the guy so i will be able to drive it and really look at it good anyway i know it is N/A for sure

4. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    restore it first, i'll put money on it that for $500 you're not getting a perfectly sound car. replace all the fluids, hoses, belts, bushings, replace the brakes. check for any rust, which is very probable. and if u want a rb powered car, you're much, much better off finding a s13 chassis for the same money. u can drop in sr20 into a 280zx or even an RB20DET. if u have loads of money to spend then go for it, otherwise restore the car, find a L28DET, drop that in and make it look sound. *sigh* okay so i don't continue ranting i suggest u spend you're money elsewhere. anyone else with me on this?

5. titod15sedan

titod15sedan New Member

Start a Conversation
    i dunno, the rb thing could go either way, my z has an rb25 and it's a pretty straightforward swap if your car is fuel injected , and if not lines and a fuel settup needs to be put in, but for reference my car is still using the stock driveshaft....

however i am with him on the restoration part of the deal. i would personally get the car as a side project (like my z is atm) and maybe get an s13 or civic or whatever other decently fun car you can afford and like , something good on gas and with decent cargo room to be a parts hauler and dd would probably be a really good choice.

6. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    well i love the style of the z and want to build it up almost like a sleeper cuz a lot of ppl wouldnt expect a z to really be that good also there is a really good motor shop in my area and was gonna send the rb26 to him and have him do some motor work but yeah restoring it would be fun to many thoughts i have enough money to get a good car but right now i couldnt get two cars the insurance in massachusetts is stupid high idk maybe settle in the middle and keep the stock motor do a little work and restore it a little
    also if luck and lots and lots of money were on my side i could get a Fairlady Z 432 R

7. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    do u realize how much money it will cost u to drop a RB26 into a 280ZX and have it run reliably?

8. Chaos Performance

Start a Conversation
    nope but willing to find out

9. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I say get the car for that price if it is decent condition. I dont know about dropping an rb26 in it if its gonna be a lot of work but at least restore it and have a fun RWD daily driver or something ;)

10. titod15sedan

titod15sedan New Member

Start a Conversation
    how old are you man? seriously it sux to be broke , unless your parents have a wad of cash , steer away . and i know the more peolpe tell you not to do it the more you'll want to do it cus young people... well we're just that way i suppose. buy the car and do a tune-up make it be reliable and go from there, or don't get it and settle for something more reliable and with more aftermarket (cheaper parts) like a civic . that's my honest suggestion for ya.