1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optima Batteries

Discussion in 'Interior, Audio, Electrical' started by 97-ferio, Nov 8, 2006.

1. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    O.kay, i was just wondering if anyone on here has used, or is currently using the optima brand vehicle batteries. the reason i ask is because mine crapped out on me today, and i've only had for a little over a year now. i mean, it worked great the whole year i had it, but i was surprised to see it crap out so early. i ended up having to buy an everstart battery from wal-mart because sears was already closed by the time this happened, and i need my car for work tomorrow. but, the thing that gets me is my yellowtop came from sears w/a one year full replacement warranty, and cost me 140 bucks...the one from wal-mart was only 40 bucks and has a 2 year full replacement, i'm kinda kicking myself in the a$$ right now, lol. i think i'm gonna skip the expensive batts from now on...i'm gonna try to get the optima replaced and have it for a back up...but the wal-mart one impressed me tonight...the only problem i ran into was that the terminals were at the rear of the battery instead of the front, and my negative battery cable was too short, so i had to relocate the grounding point for it. i just wanna know if anyone else here has had the same problem with the optima batts dying out so soon. maybe sears gave me a used one? i'm just surprised because every car battery i've ever owned has lasted me well over 2 years most of the time. i thought optima batteries were supposed to be the best money could buy...or maybe i'm missing something here. thanks for any helpful info you all might have:)

2. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    Idk sometimes you just get a crappy battery, i never owned an optima so I wouldnt know. But I owned a Diehard Weathermaster and it only lasted 4 months and diehards are supposed to be good, my mechanic replaced it and the current no name battery has been under my hood for almost 2 years.

3. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah, i think i just had the luck of getting the odd ball dudd battery. i know optima is a reputable company, and their batteries usually last a very long time. hopefully the wal-mart battery lasts longer, i'm liking the whole $40 for a new battery thing...still debating on getting the optima replaced as a backup with the full replacement warranty being finished and all.:ermm: we'll see.

4. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Well here my opinion on batteries:

Car batteries for the most part are just like any AA battery you pick up off the shelf. They may look pretty different but most of them are made 95% the same and I wouldnt be suprised if a lot of them came from the same exact factory that just throws on a different sticker. I sell batteries all day as part of my job and to tell you the truth there really isnt a battery thats gonna last more than 3 years of regular use, unless of course your battery is located in the trunk or cockpit, in which case it may last about 5 years (what kills batteries the most is the heat from your engine)

Optimas are good batteries, no doubt, I have one myself infact, but as far as their warranty, I believe it is only 1 or 2 years. The thing that makes optimas stand out from the rest is the fact they are deep cycle batteries and are gelcells not liquid. (you can drill a hole into an optima and it wont even affectit!) Deep cycle batteries are good because they take a long time to discharge so you can have your system bumpin for a little longer before its gonna start to run low, but on the other hand it also takes them a lot longer to charge up.

As far as your battery dying so quickly it was probably just a dud like you suggested, that shit happens, it just sucks it wasnt under warranty! In the end I wouldnt really reccomend an optima over a regular battery with a good warranty unless you have a lot of electrical items on your car like a system or whatever. Just my 2 cents!

5. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    hey thanks man. yeah, it does suck that the warranty ran out before it died on me. i agree that the optimas are good batteries because they are deep cycle. it worked great last winter, never had a problem starting the car in subzero temps...i'm talking like 20-30 below. it would always start right up no problem. i may get an optima later on down the line if the wal-mart battery gives me any troubles. but hey, i got two years on this battery for the warranty:) we'll see how it goes i guess...so far, no problems (knock on wood)...and i do have somewhat of a system, but i never really crank up the volume in my car, so my sub and amp shouldn't be working the battery too hard..when i first got the optima i had two 10" rockford punches and a 1500 watt amp...and when i first got the system installed i used to crank it up...so that most likely contributed to the battery's shorter life span. now i'm just running one 12" rockford punch with the same amp, and i get just enough bump with the volume down low. but hey, thanks for the input mang, i appreciate it a lot.:)