1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project candy cane 88/91 crx/civic dx/si (lots of pics) 56k warning

Discussion in '88-91 Honda Civic/CRX' started by stemiched89, Jul 7, 2006.

1. stemiched89

stemiched89 New Member

Start a Conversation
    alright well let me introduce my car. i have owned it for about 3 months, the more i work on it the more i hate the previous owner(s). it is a 91 crx and it has the body of a dx, the block of an si (d16a6) the head to a 92-95 dx civic (pr3-2 i think), dpfi, 88 fenders, partially blue and partially black interior... i have no clue what the hell this car has gone threw in its life time. when i got it everything behind the seats was completely gutted and crapally painted. i know many people think there is advantage to having it gutted but i am not drag racing so i dont care about the 15lbs if even that it weighs... i have since re-installed all the rear interior. i had a spoiler on for about 2 months, but came to my senses and took it off, replacing the whole hatch with one containing a rear wiper. i have put on black housed alteza tail lights and black housed halo head lights, along with black housed turn signals. i put a bumper on containing fog lights and the si lip. got a blue valve cover. and i think that is all *I* have done to the car. it has shity z3 fenders... and needs body work that will be coming soon. i am hoping to be doing an mpfi swap and putting in an aem cold air intake as well.
    so im sure most of you skipped that and went right to the pictures. i have many pics but i will just show the ones that show the progress the car has went through.

so this is the oldest picture i have:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after putting a blue valve cover on (i personally think it looks a lot better, but plan on repainting my old one myself)
    [​IMG]
    after swapping hatch, bumper, rims and a few other parts off my parts car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i love my mud flaps, just scrapping along down the road, still have yet to put the rear ones on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and i just love this picture
    [​IMG]
    alright so i know there are a lot of words and a lot of pics...
    as a note i just want to say that i have screwed up the si lip since the pictures were taken.

2. HONDASPANCHO

HONDASPANCHO New Member

Start a Conversation
    good luck with the project....looks like it has good potential

3. stemiched89

stemiched89 New Member

Start a Conversation
    well thanks, i have a similar thread on honda-tech and everyone is giving me nothing but complete shit...

4. stemiched89

stemiched89 New Member

Start a Conversation
    alright well the other day i had screwed up the si lip so its in its proper place, and today i corectly hooked up the fog lights and my bumper turn signals. im sure many will not like the head lights because of the fact that they have black housing and are halos but i very much do. so here is a pic. and give me some input
    axef.xanga.com_4f0a47016563564984841_z43592068.jpg
    axef.xanga.com_4f0a47016563564984841_z43592068.jpg

5. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Hope your project CRX turns out the way you want and looks like you got some work ahead of you. I also agree with you and am not a fan of the "z3" type fenders as well. Did you ever consider the JDM rear taillight assembly from the Japan spec CR-X they can be had for around quite inexpensively, I think you can easily find them on eBay.

6. stemiched89

stemiched89 New Member

Start a Conversation
    could you show me a picture of jdm tail lights... i am not sure i know what your talking about

7. stemiched89

stemiched89 New Member

Start a Conversation
    so i got MOST of the parts for the mpfi swap today, i still need the injector sensors, if anyone has them let me know i want them asap, i hooked up my aem air intake, its just set up as short ram for now untill i get a bypass valve to prevent hydrolock, then i will put the rest of the tubing on for cold air. so it looks a lot better now and i can feel the performace differance. no more gay ass hot air intake...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and dont worry, the lawn hose will be replaced tomorrow, i didnt have any extra tubing around the house so i had to use what i had, and being sunday there is no where near here open that will have any.

8. g3teg97

g3teg97 New Member

Start a Conversation
    From what I can gather, it looks to be a great project car.

I love seeing guys out there that take a car that looks / drives / etc like shit and turns it back to the way it should be.

Good luck!

9. stemiched89

stemiched89 New Member

Start a Conversation
    your opinion and my opinion to how it should be are probably completely different but yea. it already runs pretty good... it just will run even better now, and im more worried about how it looks then the speed. and im not all about having it stock, i like my altezzas, halos, and rims.

10. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    See my old CR-X thread.
    http://www.jdmchat.com/showthread.php?t=8

The JDM taillights say

CR-X (notice the -)
    VTEC

instead of just
    CRX

Also the corners are completely amber instead of Amber/Red.

These minor changes gives the CRX nice clean subtle details that are different to the US version. I understand that you may like the Altezzas, and Halos, however IMHO I would recommend modifiying your car with parts that are timeless and not so much the fad as they come and go (and you will rarely hear the played out this remark). Not that it should matter anyhow as it is your ride.

But I believe we have quite alot of members here that have been in the industry a long time (including myself 14 years) and have such a good perception of what works or not.
    No you don't need to take everyones advice but again I dealt with many customers in the past and those who have spentd quite a bit on fad parts usually regret and go for the timeless, clean, pretige style (which we cater to). We are here to help you and we are honest and want your car to look better over time.
    :thumbup:

11. Dr. VTEC

Dr. VTEC New Member

Start a Conversation
    I also have a ht account and I have realized this fact: everyone on honda-tech is going with jdm style that's why you get flamed. I have been into jdm style since 2000 but I still have a respect for other styles because I understand that everyone is different and to each his own. If it looks good to you then sport the style. I am into JDM style also but only because I like the stock look. JDM parts are stock but are still aftermarket to us here in america. I like it cuz they are still sporty. I like your car though because it is origional and you like it. Now a days people go with what other people think looks good on their car but you have to run what you like. So that's why you are still origional with styling. Honda-tech was helpful once upon a time. Recently though I asked a question about running an OBD0 d16z6 and no one helped me because they all just said "you need to run OBD1" I agreed with them but it was my homies car and he's on a budget. They didn't really help me out you know. They basicly ignored my question and just flamed my shit.
    I wasn't happy. Its honda tech not jdm tech. Nowa-days so many people are running jdm the style yur running is kinda scarce in the us.

12. jdmefsedan2

jdmefsedan2 New Member

Start a Conversation
    looks okay!

13. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    car looks good...seems like it will be a fun lil project....i cant wait to see this beast once shes put all back together and @ 100%....

definately keep us posted and up to date on her!!! :rocks:

14. JDMcivSI_EF9

JDMcivSI_EF9 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thats mad true about the flaming and shyt. I've been in the JDM lifestyle since 01...so im rite there with ya. I had a DA and a S2K (leased)..lol. Both were kepts clean and running hard. But ever since the wings and shyt ass neon got old and played out. JDM became the new rice. Honestly. Its good but then it aint. Its good now cuz i can get parts that were hard as fuck to come by for a great price and a min. of 5 day shipping. Instead of waiting for weeks or months for common shyt and paying out the ass for it. Fuck it. the lil rice boyz will get bored and move on to monster truck HONDAZ!!! lol. haha. Need anything just ask. lets see sum pix.

15. Flexin_K20

Flexin_K20 New Member

Start a Conversation
    ^good call

16. 2000CivicHatch

2000CivicHatch New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yea, stupid ricers converting to JDM. They have their parents buy all the rice parts and pay for the labor, then turn around and have their parents buy them JDM parts and pay for the labor. fuckin ricers...

17. doublethink

doublethink New Member

Start a Conversation
    why bother posting on a jdm forum, if the only thing that is jdm is the chassis? you took a bunch of usdm aftermarket stuff and threw it on the car. honda-tech is not all jdm. its all about CLEAN OEM. if honda made it, its fair game. but they flame everything else. (as they should)

now this is your car, and its a free country, so what i say does not matter. however do not get mad at honda-tech because you posted a riced out car and they cant stand that sort of thing. cardomain.com is full of people who do that sort of thing. if you posted there youll get pleanty of positive feedback....

that doesnt make you wrong in what your doing, my last crx had those same headlights, i got them off ebay. but logically, to have slits in the fenders should lead air to something, to cool something down, be it the engine, or the front brake assembly. that would give the fenders a PURPOSE.

take jdm headlights for example, they are plastic instead of glass. which makes them much lighter, they also have a single h4h bulb which makes them shine amazing at nite (no more ugly box). so it has looks, AND a real life function.

the downside is often the plastic turns yellow with age, but if you can find a clean set, your golden.

that is just one example. im sorry to seem negative, but this is a jdm forum. take a look at the cars in this thread to see why people are here...

http://www.jdmchat.com/showthread.php?t=54