1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question

Discussion in '96-00 Civic' started by vtiek4, Jul 20, 2006.

1. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    hi
    I hope I can get some help with this problem i got:
    I have a 98 civic with b16a2 engine and sometimes in the morning it wont start and when it does the needle from the tach fluctuates too much. sometimes i have to warm it up for a while and when i am driving and stop the needle goes all the way down and then back to 900 rpms....i have ctr pistons but i am using iridium spark plugs with the stock grade (i read somewhere if you raise compression you need a colder spark plug???) Could this be the reason. I am also with stock thermostat and fan switch...but with spoon radiator cap

Excuse my english.... dont know if i made myself clear

thanks

David

2. g3teg97

g3teg97 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Maybe it has something to do with your idle.

3. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    could be a bad Idle Air Control Valve, or a vacuum leak somewhere. Did you check all your seals and gaskets out when you got the B16? I had a similar problem with my D16 motor when I installed it along with an aftermarket intake manifold, and it turned out to be a vacuum leak. But yah dude, check those things. Chances are, if you have a bad IAC valve, you'll have to replace it. However, your local Honda dealership will charge you an arm and a leg for a new one. I found a bunch on eBay for pretty cheap, used, but in really good working condition. Good luck man. Hope you get this fixed. =)

4. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for the help. I´ll check that

5. suckawillis

suckawillis New Member

Start a Conversation
    Do you have any CEL's?(check engine light) also where is your timing? your plugs should be at least a 6, and trash the iridiums, use basic ngk vpower. And as stated above, check for a vacuum leak. the symptom of idle dropping low and coming back up wjile slowing down the vehicle, are generally signs of vacuum or timing. Keep us posted. And are you at least running a chipped ecu or any feul management? Fuel pressure regulator? pump etc. LMK

6. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    i dont have a check engine light, so iridium sparks just a waste of money?? i have a fpr...the ecu is stock for now planning to get at leats a vafc before i get the ecu...or an aem

7. suckawillis

suckawillis New Member

Start a Conversation
    no AEM, no vafc... both way too much money. convert to obd-1 with a harness http://rywire.com/store/obd2a-obd1-....html?osCsid=9a40587e3a89bc35b05091cba53fd046 and buy a p28. I will burn you a decent chip for 20$ until you have time for the dyno. And basic ngk's build just as much power as iridium, and are a 1/4 the price. Lastly, check ALL grounds, clean connections and possibly add 1 more. Ground affects IDLE a lot. IACV's dont go out too often, usually the screw in the FITV(fast idle thermal valve) backs out a little, and acts like a bad IACV. LMK

8. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for the help. I´ll take my car to my friends shop next week to check everything...the thing here in Peru is that labor is very cheap....parts are way too expensive comparing to USA....Sounds interesting about the chip the problem is that i am overseas and i will have to buy a p28 ecu and send it directly to you....let me work this out and get back to you
    david

9. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Any help in getting a cheap p28? the chip and the ob2 harness? how much will it be everything????

10. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    hi again
    I still have the problem with the idle....3 days ago the car went off 3 times in the morning....I changed the IACV but the problem is still there. Any other suggestion? vaccum leak? thanks for the help

11. suckawillis

suckawillis New Member

Start a Conversation
    did you ever chip it? or is it still stock ecu?

12. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    the ecu is stock and dont have the FITV to check if the problem is there

13. vtiek4

vtiek4 New Member

Start a Conversation
    hi guys...wasnt around for a long time...well problem solved when i changed the standard ecu for the ITR one hehe