1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestion?

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by den, Jan 22, 2012.

1. den

den New Member

Start a Conversation
    $6000
    JP maker
    manual available
    rear drive
    >= 200hp
    possibly made in close to 2000
    what are the candidates?

2. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    Check out the Honda S2000, this car meets all of your above requirements and it has been race proven time and time again.

There is also the Mazda RX-7 (which stopped production in 1995) It is an older car but still an outstanding chassis to build on. I will note that by now the motors might need to be refreshed if they have had a hard life in the past. They tend to run rich and fail smogs with a lot of miles on them. On the other side of that is the Mazda RX-8 (which started production in 2004) you might find these for around 6K now but probably not much lower unless it is a salvaged car.

Mitsubishi is out of the question completely.

Toyota of course made the Supra which also stopped being made in 1998. Those however can be pricey due to them being somewhat of a "collectors car" Toyota didnt have a RWD model (wait they still dont) since the supra was stopped.

Now there are quite a few Nissans that can be had tha meet your requirements. The first being the very very popular 240sx (which stopped production in 1998) These have been built sooo many different ways so the aftermarket support is there! They do lack in the power dept from the factory (rated at 140hp) but there are plenty of swaps that can be done.

Secondly is the 300zx which stopped being made in 1996. these arent as popular as the 240sx, but still can be made to be a fun car.

and now there is the 350Z (those come out in 2001 iirc?) these are also very popular cars.

I know i gave you a long list of cars, but really for around what year you want and your power needs. hope this helps.

3. den

den New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for the info:p
    I actually had done my research too, and not really new to the jdm scence neither, at least spec info wise.(have a collection of Video Option if that means anything to ya);)
    Just that I'm really out of idea, or rather, $.
    fd, ap1, z33, v35, uzz430, jza80 and other lexus are no where close to the price range.
    putting a SR in a silvi in CA is not easy
    xe10 doesn't have manual
    w30 is weak with out turbo
    rx8 I thought was perfect before I learned about it's avg. mpg

may be jzz30?

4. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    Yes your above list can get expensive, however the S2000 or he 350Z could be foound for around your range if you get lucky.

I am not sure where you are from/located, but the SC300 can be had for very cheap here in the states. The problem is finding a M/T optioned one (if you were wanting a stick) they are good platforms and have plenty of potential for making good power.

The 240sx SR swap is very easy, they have been done to death so there are plenty of online step by step directions to follow.

You are correct about the RX-8, the MPG sucks and IMO the car sucks, I have driven a few and they simply lack horribly on the low end and really arent that great in the upper RPM range. I would rather have the S2000 if im spending that much for a RX-8.

For you price range, you can find a decent 240sx that has already been swaped or a clean 240sx that you can work on step by step.

Same goes for a SC300.

If you want the other cars mentioned, you obviously will need to raise your budget if possible.

5. den

den New Member

Start a Conversation
    thank you for your attention.
    i posted on several forum but you are the only one who really helps. :)
    I'm actually in USA, CA.
    When I was talking about "easy" I meant with the cops.
    rite here, if you don't have connections with performance/smog shops, anything besides stock is illegal.:(
    if i can only wish I find an s2000 ap1 for only 6k with out salvage, but that's not really likely. I am considering an early w30 mr2 then find the rite parts to boost it. hopefully someone who knows better will give me some advise.:)

6. ef legacy

ef legacy New Member

Start a Conversation
    THose are nice to have also, take a look (maybe even PM the user Nachtmensch) he has a very nice non boosted W30. He can probably lead you in the right direction as far as a engine build. I have seen the ZZ motor perform very well in both boosted and N/A applications. Although keeping it all motor will be rewarding IMO!

Really if you want to boost the W30 you will run into the same problem with be "legal" in cali, I too live in cali but I have a smog hookup so its no sweat for me. Really If you just drive normal and dont draw attention to yourself, then cops will never hassle you. Drive like you have some discipline and you will be fine.