1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Targa Top repairs

Discussion in 'Del Sol' started by Andrea, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Start a Conversation
    Oh no! Don't know if it's the extreme heat (110 degrees) but all of a sudden the targa top has started to rattle like crazy! First time ever! Sounds like it's goin to bust into a million pieces.

Have used some internet instructions on maintenance but nothing is working. Passenger rear pin is loose, it's moving around in the plastic bushing more than the others.

Has anyone had these problems? Got any ideas? Anyone taken one apart? My instructions are vague and confusing. I've read that Honda had a fix for faulty targa issues but the car is 13 years old, am I still going to be able to find the kit?

Help please! Can't leave the lid off too long I'll combust in these freakin hot tempuratures!

2. Thrule01

Thrule01 New Member

Start a Conversation
    i dont know...i know mine rattles a little but i think its due to the seals not being properly lubed....besides that i dropped it so lol....but i dont know...id go get a quote or take a my a honda dealership and ask them to take a quick look

3. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    i know a bunch of Sol owners have problems with the seals not sealing well. but ive never heard of rattling :ermm:

4. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Start a Conversation
    It's definetely the air temps that are causing the rattling. During the day in the heat the lid has to come off otherwise noise will drive you absolutely mental, but at night when it cools down...no noise. Gotta be the seals!

I found this link while looking for more ways to fix up the ttop. It's going to come in handy for other repairs and maintenance too.

http://teamdelsol.com/technical/howto/

5. Slo-EG1

Slo-EG1 New Member

Start a Conversation
    yea i heard about putting wwashers in the pin holders spot also, but to lazy to do it.... i got a rattle and sqeeking

6. Miko

Miko New Member

Start a Conversation
    That how to actually isn't too bad. If you use 100% Silicone Grease to lube the seals (you can use it to lube the pins as well and personally, I recommend that you do) along with that washer install...should clear up your problem...well at least most of it. Lubing the seals doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference (at least thats what I thought before I did it) but it makes the world of difference especially if you have squeaks. The silicon grease should be available at our auto parts store or you can get it from honda but its $25 at the dealer. I think there is actually a how to on lubing the seals on the same site.

Okay....i just typed way to much. Hope it helps some.

7. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for a the help.

8. djdshaw

djdshaw New Member

Start a Conversation
    Can back up what Miko said about the silicon grease I get mine from an electrical store in the UK, RS Components its about $10 a tube makes a big difference & in the winter you will find it reduces water leaks as well as reducing the rattles by softening up the seals

9. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
  10. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Start a Conversation
    I can see where this all make sense and am going to take care of it ASAP. I know I don't take care of it like I should. And I've only just found out you need to do this often. Shoulda RTFM better.

Clutchone - thanks for posting those links - You posted it before on another thread, I have been in touch with Majestic regarding available parts as my local dealer claimed they cannot get any of them anymore, Majestic said some cosmetic parts were still around and they had them, too bad they won't ship to Canada but I'm close to the border so getting there is not a huge problem.

11. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Start a Conversation
    Well what do ya know - it works! And very well too!

But the guy at the parts store thought I was drunk when I told him what I was going to do with the silicone grease, said he'd never heard this before. And...when I told him $36 buck was a stupid price to pay for a tube that would maintain the car's seals long after I was dead, he told me he had little packs available for $2 which might be enough. One pack did the trick, aside from the Clarion I heard nothing inside the car.

Thanks you guys!

12. djdshaw

djdshaw New Member

Start a Conversation
    Andrea,
    Its amazing what a little grease will do !!!!
    However I would recommend that you apply the grease every 2-3 weeks it will keep the seals soft & stop any future problems.