1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Letter

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by 97-ferio, Nov 5, 2006.

1. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Just thought i'd share this little tidbit of info with all my buddies here on JDMC:) my local Honda dealership was nice enough to send me a letter a couple days ago letting me know what the newest method is that car thieves are using to steal cars. they said it is a good idea to take like a piece of cardboard, paper, a sticker from JDMDecals.com(lol plug for Brandon), or your loose license plate...and then stick said material over the vin tag that is located on the drivers side of the car, just forward of the steering column. (stick the piece of "security material" on the inside of the car of course=P) the reason they suggested this is because apparently, thieves will go up and look thru the little block in your windshield where the vin is visible, copy it down, take the number to the local dealership saying they lost their car keys or what not, have a spare key made, come back, and drive your car away. now, i don't know if this is old news to any of you folks out there, but it's news to me, and i thought it'd be good to pass it on, especially since a lot of our members on here have been becoming victims of car theft lately.

i know it sounds far fetched...why wouldn't the dealership ask for proof of ownership, registration, or i.d. you know? but, it's a good tip. and hopefully it'll help someone save their baby from being stolen. i hate thieves, and i'm trying to make their "job" harder every way i can. rock on jdmc:rocks:

2. panzer_ko

panzer_ko New Member

Start a Conversation
    OOOH! A perfect spot for one of Brando's stickies I got coming! Good plug!

3. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    hmm, if a thief wants your car he will take it there and then, no need to get a key made. These guys can steal Hondas within seconds. Look into a making a hidden fuel cutoff switch or other means if you are worried about car theft.

4. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    true, and the fuel cutoff switch is a great option as well...beats pulling out the fuel pump fuse every night. but nothing will really stop a thief with a tow truck though.:(

5. solbrothers

solbrothers JDMChat.com Loser!

Start a Conversation
    has anyone ever done a removable clutch pedal? kind of like a steering wheel, but you remove the pedal at the hinge or something...

6. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    removable clutch pedal? that sounds crazy...crazy enough to work. good idea, you should invent a device for this and patent it if it hasn't been done yet. but still, nothing will stop a fricken thief with a tow truck. the sucky thing about when i move back to Hawaii is that houses with a garage are damn expensive. houses without a garage are expensive. but on the flipside, i'll be living on an island and have connections with the Honolulu Police Department, so in the worst case scenario i can track my car down. thieves suck balls!

7. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    this has been going on for awhile.

why else do i have all my VIN's covered up? ;)

8. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah, lol. i think the Honda Dealership was just a little bit behind on the times in my little town.:)

9. 95CivicEX

95CivicEX New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thats the dumbest thing iv heard why would they make keys with no ID, proof of reg,AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be so messed up to be at home chillin on your couch and all the sudden your car starts up and takes off (to a chop shop) to never be seen again I hate theifs and choppers..........