1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Noise Is Driving Me Crazy!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by LudeActs, Jul 7, 2006.

1. LudeActs

LudeActs New Member

Start a Conversation
    Ok, so my 5G lude is making a noise, and it is driving me nuts. Every time the front left wheel goes around, it makes this scraping metal on metal screech\scratch noise. It is not a warped rotor, because if it were, it would stop when I hit the brakes, which it does not. It is a constant noise with the motion of the wheel. ( the faster I go, the faster the noise) So, my next guess was wheel bearing, but I tried to wiggle the wheel, and there is no play. Then I thought it was my brake dust shield, and I still belive it is because one day the noise was really loud, and i bent it a little, and the noise was less noticeable. So, I take my wheel off and brake rotor and on the dust shield there is the tiniest little scratch that looked like fresh metal (no rust) I hit the area with a screwdriver and hammer and bent it away from where the back of the rotor would be. Then I bent the shit out of the rest of the dust shield as far back as possible. Problem is, it still makes noise, and you can't hear the noise if you just spin the hub while the car is jacked up. It only happens with the wheel on and on the ground while moving. I am really getting tired of taking the wheel off and trying to fix this, and I feel like when I drive next to somebody they are thinking that my car is a POS because of this noise, and it of course it not a POS. If anybody has any ideas please help. I would just take the dust shield off, but it looks lide you have to take the whole hub apart to get to the screws. HELP!

2. Specter

Specter New Member

Start a Conversation
    are you driving on aftermarket wheels?

i had this problem once where they were hitting the clamp that holds the brake line in place... idk what to tell you exactly but you seem to be on the right track. all i can really say is look for more fresh metal and go from there :ermm:

3. LudeActs

LudeActs New Member

Start a Conversation
    Anyways, I think I was right on this one. It was the dust shield. A guy I work with told me that the wheel doesn't necessarily move when a wheel bearing is bad, and I got scared because the parts and labor is like $270 and I checked my service records and the only wheel bearing that hasn't been replaced is that one. So, I thought it might be a wheel bearing, but I decided to give it another try with the dust shield. I took it all apart and was going to remove it, but I realized you can't just remove it because it goes all the way around the spindle. So I was gonna unscrew the 3 screws and cut it off, but I stripped one of the screws trying to do this. If you know where they are located, you know why. I took a philips bit and a 1\4" open end wrench and wedged the bit in between the hub and the screw and then tried to turn the bit with the wrench. So i stripped out the last screw because I couldn't get the bit in there right, and I put it all back together, frustrated. I drive down the road and, PRESTO! No more noise. I heard it like once today, but it was so quiet, and I didn't hear it for the rest of the day. Pray for me that the noise doesn't return. If it does, I'm cutting that mofo off.