1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trans wont fit! need help!

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Nachtmensch, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    ok, so my old clutch destroyed itself on me. so i upgraded to a exedy stage 2 four puck clutch. so i pulled the old trans off (2nd grinds) and brought my flywheel to be resurfaced as it should be, and my TO bearing pressed in. i bring it all home, torque on my flywheel. i begin to think about why my old clutch went out and i remember i never installed a pilot bushing. so i tap one in using a deep well 14mm socket (to not damage the bushing).

after that, i bolt up the clutch and attempt to put the trans in. it goes in, but stops about an inch away from the motor.sonfused as hell, i back it out and try again. same thing. so i pull the trans down assuming i now have two pilot bushings. i cut the one out (dont ask, i havd no pilot bushing puller and it was 3am), feel for a bushing wedged way back in there and try again. same scenario.

i pull it back out, take the clutch off, realign it, and try again. same thing.

so i end up pulling th emotor so i dont have to wrestle with this transmission under my car for hours. well heres the thing, it STILL wont go in and always stopps 1" from mating with the motor.

ive been trying to use bolts to pull it to the motor, but this sounds like a bad idea and isnt working anyways. oh, and i tried my old transmission (the one that grinds 2nd) and it has the same problem, so it isnt on the transmission side. i also put the friction plate on the new transmission and it slid on (with a little bit of pressure initially, but it fits like it should)

so my question:

1. why wont my trans line up?
    2. how can i get it to line up?

i need help asap. thanks
    -kevin

2. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    hammer wins. nevermind :p

3. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    STOP... Hammer Time!!!

I was Going to say take the Kit apart then Re-Assemble It, Making sure you Correct any Mistakes you may have missed the First time, Also Did you by a Complete Clutch Kit or Just the Clutch Itself???

4. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    complete stage 2 clutch. i took it apart 5 times. that wasnt the problem. just needed some motivation :)

5. ONEateEessex

ONEateEessex New Member

Start a Conversation
    that happens sometimes

6. Private-Tune

Private-Tune New Member

Start a Conversation
    It sounds like either it wasnt properly aligned (tip of the mainshaft with the pilot bearing) or like you said, just needed motivation.