1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website/Domain help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Anything' started by poonkla, Jun 27, 2006.

1. poonkla

poonkla New Member

Start a Conversation
    I am building a site for my local prelude club but I need some help. I have a forum but its a free one so its nothing special. The thing is I want to get a domain name for it but I have a few questions first. Can a buy a domain name and just have it go directly to my free message board? Do Ihave to actually have to buy a site and then buy the domain and have it go from there?

Next set of questions.. I really want to get into designing and managing websites. I have been making websites for the past 4 years but its been simple HTML and stuff, I havent really dove into the complex web making stuff. If there is someone out there who makes site professinally or is just a freaking good website maker let me know, I sure could use some help.

2. g3teg97

g3teg97 New Member

Start a Conversation
    I'm a college graduate of Digital Media and now am a freelance graphic artist / web designer in central Florida.

You can registar a domain name and have it directly go to your forum. I don't have any experience in forum building so, off hand, I couldn't tell you.

My hosting is through A Small Orange. I pay $5 a month for 400MB space and 10BG bandwidth. I have never had an issue with them. They have suburb customer service and I actually bought my domain name through them. I think it was $10.

FYI: You can search to see if the domain name you want is already registered by going here.

Hope that helps you. If you want to talk sometime, hit me up on AIM. Just let me know who you are. :)

3. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Usually forums use php and mySql for database. It can be a tad complex if you never had any experience with them. Also hiring someone to do build and design can cost quite a bit. Freelancer usually charge $15 - $35 an hour.

You can use godaddy.com for their hosting or domain purchases, they will be around for a while and have probably the best plans out there. I wouldn't trust small hosting companies myself as they come and go. My.:2cents: