1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are your top 5 picks?? Camera wise..

Discussion in 'Photography & Photoshop' started by junior40er, Jul 10, 2006.

1. junior40er

junior40er New Member

Start a Conversation
    I am trying to get into photography as a hobby and was thinking of getting a Canon Rebel. (forgot model but its about $1K) would that be a good one.
    Remember, Im aware that there are top notch but im not trying to break the bank just yet, my car is doing that for me. So what ya think about Canon Rebel?
    List 5 good starter cameras. real ones not 300dollar cams. I already have a SD400 but I want one to take awesome pics. Thanks guys

2. junior40er

junior40er New Member

Start a Conversation
  3. digitalHorizon

digitalHorizon New Member

Start a Conversation
    The SD400 can take awesome pics! Just curious as to why you think you need an SLR... are you at a creative impasse with the SD400's features?

The Rebel XT is a great camera that offers tons of creative flexibility for the serious beginner or experienced amateur. Its worth every penny.

Also consider:

Nikon D50
    Nikon D70s
    Canon 20D
    Olympus E-300/E-330/E-500 EVOLT
    Konica Maxxum 7D

4. BRANDON

BRANDON New Member

Start a Conversation
    im a STRONG canon camera buyer. I own the Canon XL1s.
    [​IMG]

and plan on buyin the camera that your thinkin' about getting. Please let me know how you like it.

5. Flexin_K20

Flexin_K20 New Member

Start a Conversation
    I'm actually seriously considering that camera:eek:hsnap:
    espically with the rebate from authorized canon dealers through the 17th of this month:thumbup:
    I want the black body one though:rocks:

6. Jdmfever

Jdmfever New Member

Start a Conversation
    Wait a second. You do know that the camera pictured above is a 3CCD Mini DV Camera. not A still camera. Right?

An slrmight be a big jump for a bginner. Like digitalhorizon stated sheck into some other cameras.:)

7. digitalHorizon

digitalHorizon New Member

Start a Conversation
    I think too many people get overkill cameras because they think that they will take better pictures with them. In all honesty, the first few months with your SLR you'll have SHITTY pictures coming out of it, because you need to know how to set it and how to process the pictures yourself since the camera no longer does it for you (for the most part). Today's PnS, in particular the PowerShot SD series, are very capable cameras that will provide you with plenty of creative freedom. Remember, your SD400 has more capability than a D50 with a kit lens as far as zoom and mode options. In order to match its capabilities, you'll need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on lenses and accessories. Ironically, I'm looking into buying an SD550 as a carry around camera for vacations and birthday parties, for the very reason I stated above (and also because carrying around a 7 lb camera and 20 lb camera bag with $5000+ of equipment inside is both hindering and dangerous, as far as thieves and potential damage goes).

I'm just trying to give you all you need to make an informed decision, since most of the information you'll find online is myth or opinion stated as fact. Don't be misled by the myth that an SLR yields better pictures per se, or that megapixels matter in any way toward image quality. These are the two most common myths that people follow when buying a camera, and end up with way more than they'll ever use or need.

8. Jdmfever

Jdmfever New Member

Start a Conversation

I still have that problem.:)

9. g3teg97

g3teg97 New Member

Start a Conversation
    What do you guys think about the Nikon D50?

10. BRANDON

BRANDON New Member

Start a Conversation
    the xl1s that i posted uptop was showin what type of camcorder i owned. and forked out the big bucks and am 100% happy with canon's products.

Didnt mean to confuse anyone.

When it comes down to it. Whatever camera you get besure to learn how to use it.

For example: I have a Pronto Tv LCD remote control. I spend 600$ for a tv remote. and i dont know how to use it :) ahhahaha... Just because you buy a kick ass camera DONT mean you will take KICKASS pictures. well... kinda..

11. 5zero3racer

5zero3racer New Member

Start a Conversation
    digitalHorizon is right...make sure you know what your getting..and learn how to use it...The Nikon D50 is a great camera for the price...so if you plan on getting into photography thats a great camera to start with..but as soon as you learn more you will grow out of it..The rebel xt is the best out of the box because canon sets it up that way cause the basic person to buy that is not a photographer..they are new to it and are wanting to take great pics and learn more...also most photographers have small point and shoot cameras cause like digitalHorizon said..you dont want to carry around lots of stuff..I work at a camera store and do photography and the first thing we tell people there most photographer have a point and shoot to use for fun stuff..birthday,vacation,beach(keep sand away from camera)cause you dont want to carry around a big bag with all your camera stuff..so the main thing it comes down to is do you want to print your work or do you just want it for the internet..cause on the net you will not see how good an SLR really is..until you print...I can make a point and shoot look almost as good as an SLR on a computer..and im sure Digital Horizon can say the samething...learn ISO,Fstop,S speed, WB and your on your way..

TOP 5 Cameras: is hard to say...
    NIKON D50 $700
    NIKON D70S $1000
    NIKON D80 (coming soon) AROUND $1300.00
    NIKON D200 $2000.00
    CANON REBEL XT (ALSO A NEW ONE IS COMING OUT) AROUND $800-$900
    SONY A100.. $1000 ...ALMOST AS GOOD AS THE NIKON D200
    CANON 30D NEWER VERSION OF THE 20D $1400

AND THOSE PRICES ARE WHAT WE SELL THEM FOR AT MY WORK..AND THATS ALSO THE PRICE WITH A LENS... BUT REMEMBER THE LENS MAKE AND SLR TAKE GOOD PICS..SO IF YOU GET A CHEAP LENS YOUR PHOTOS WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS ONE WITH A GREAT LENS

12. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    I wish I could afford a good camera. Sometimes being in college sucks... :(