1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the difference between JDM headlights and U.S. OEM Headlights

Discussion in '92-95 Civic' started by jc2801, Oct 18, 2006.

1. jc2801

jc2801 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Hey everyone i'm new on the site but I've been into the jdm things for quite a while, and on ething that I have been trying to figure out is what is the difference between the JDM healights and the u.s oem headlights for a 92-95 civic EG?? If anyone knows this please let me know thanks.

2. i'm.not.JDM

i'm.not.JDM New Member

Start a Conversation
    the u.s lights are made of glass and the JDM ones are made of plastic. the jspec ones also have the city lights in them. i'm pretty sure stanley makes both...correct me if i'm wrong on that last statement

3. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    the city lights is a big difference, besides the glass and plastic thing. the city lights are an extra povision in the headlight housing which turns on when you turn on the parking lights, that way you have light in the headlight housing w/out having to use your full-on headlights...but it is only enough light to illuminate the headlight housing, not meant to be driven w/just da city/parking lights on. not enough light:) a cool feature tho, and JDM to the T...well, to the J in this case:)

4. cabezzzdb8

cabezzzdb8 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Also the JDM ones use a H4H bulb which is not available in the US but is brighter than the standard H4 bulb in the usdm one, you can get the bulb on eBay but is kind of expensive, and has the cool 194 city light inside since the parking light on japanese cars dont light up in the front only the city light does

5. Facundo

Facundo New Member

Start a Conversation
    and the 3 litle nipples that the usd have the jdm dont have them. also if u look at the usdm the glass part is inside a frame, the jdm is like one whole piece.

6. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    i think that pretty much cover's it all! ohh and the JDM headlight doesn't have the piece inside it to reflects the light back to the housing... its just a bear headlight.

7. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    there is no Reflectors in the JDM ones... the USDM one has the reflector Piece inside it to shoot the light back to the headlight housing to spread the light evenly. The JDM one doesn't. This would be the reason why i stayed with the USDM ones on my car.

8. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    right on about the jdm civ not having parking lights...what i meant is the city light is in actuality a parking light:) i didn't think that H4H bulbs were any brighter than our USDM H4 bulb...i hated having to find H4H bulbs for my EG8 in Okinawa...it's such a hard bulb to find, and expensive to replace. autobacs hardly ever had them...and the shop i used to frequent (Bay Area Stark) just happened to have one set when i replaced mine...but they were always pricey. I used Raybrig H4H's in place of my factory H4H's...the local Okinawan Honda dealership prolly woulda charged more for an OEM replacement. the Raybrigs ran around somewhere like $40 or $50. HID's would be best for lighting up the road.:)

9. JussHatched

JussHatched Active Member

Start a Conversation
    well you guys seemed to cover every aspect I knew of and then some :)

10. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    yup.. im all for the USDM headlights

11. jc2801

jc2801 New Member

Start a Conversation
    ok thanks for all the info. guys, I guess I'm most likely going to end up keeping my USDM headlights.

12. BRANDON

BRANDON New Member

Start a Conversation
    sounds like you get alot more stuff with the USDM ones :)

13. CLUTCHONE

CLUTCHONE Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Great Thread...

Rep for Everyone that Answered this Question... :rocks:

Now The Corners... What Is The Diffrence???... :help:

14. cabezzzdb8

cabezzzdb8 New Member

Start a Conversation
    Theire clear not amber, but they have an amber casing for the bulb on the inside, and they dont light up with the headlights they only blink since they use a 1156 bulb and socket, thats about is I hope I didnt miss something :googly:

15. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    JDM Corners...
    [​IMG]
    Vision smoked
    [​IMG]
    USDM
    [​IMG]

16. sevensins

sevensins New Member

Start a Conversation
    what you need to get are hid light bulbs but they run from anywhere at 150 to 350

17. SiRalex16v

SiRalex16v New Member

Start a Conversation
    not to be a smart ass but just to make it clearer ... HID's (real ones) for those of you that don't know come with a ballast, bulbs, and an igniter. :)

18. delsolcharlie

delsolcharlie New Member

Start a Conversation
    yea but since the JDM dont have the reflector thing like the US..if you put in HIDs...the light will scatter..and pretty much be useless right??
    i put h4 hid's in my jdm 1 piece del sol headlights..i cant see shit at night!! it sucks..i got the h4s to stay with modification but they dont light up anything...i see ebay sells h4h slim hid for jdm headlights..but would i still be in the same boat ..as far as light scatter??

19. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    yes. light will still go everywhere.

retro fab something using said parts above.

20. civicdelight

civicdelight New Member

Start a Conversation
    damn it... my sister crashed my ferio and i bought one of this JDM headlights from a halfcut in a junky yard.

well, fits exactly the same as the EDM-USDM headlight except the bulb (H4A) that is very very much brighter than the standard H4, is like a coolblue bulb from osram...

now, i dont know where i can get another spare bulb... it can be purchased via ebay?