1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

y7/y8 questions

Discussion in '96-00 Civic' started by 2000CivicHatch, Aug 4, 2006.

1. 2000CivicHatch

2000CivicHatch New Member

Start a Conversation
    I have a d16y7. On this months turbo magazine, they swapped out a y7 intake mani with a y8 intake mani. Now, does anyone know of a how-to/diy thing anywhere online? I'm going to search Honda-Tech because I know those crazy guys have done it! Anywho, I'm too exhausted to do it right now. Let me know if you guys find anything before me. Thanks!

2. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Start a Conversation
    Try my other site www.CivicLand.com
    We have a couple mods and members there that are real Honda gurus when it comes to building engines.

3. imm0rt41

imm0rt41 New Member

Start a Conversation
    It should bolt right up, but I would just get one, try and put it on and if it won't bolt up then go from there. You also need the gasket by the way :thumbup:

4. suckawillis

suckawillis New Member

Start a Conversation
    ok, be sure to check what year y8 manifold you use. 96-98 vs 99-00 are different. 99-00 has air induction so there are little holes above the runners on the im. if you want take pics and ill tell you. I have a y8 head for sale with ecu complete if interested lmk. Otherwise if you have any questions when swapping the manifolds, i can help. Intake will have to change cause of throttle body location. otherwise its pretty basic to figure out

5. 2000CivicHatch

Start a Conversation
    Yes, I am interested in your manifold, I just have to do some more research before I actually attempt this.

I couldnt find a write-up on Honda-Tech, so if anyone has done this or knows of a how-to online, let me know!

6. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    i put a skunk2 intake manifold for a Y8 on my Y7 and it turned out good. to do it you'll need a throttle cable bracket from an EX...you can use the TB from the Y7...it helps to have a TB spacer tho...or you can just do some grinding. or get a Y8 TB...but, to utilize a Y8 TB you need the fast idle valve...the Y7 TB has the fast idle valve incorporated in the throttle body. and make sure you get new vacuum hoses as well, and have your Haynes manual ready, so you can compare diagrams between the Y8 and Y7...the last thing you want is coolant in your engine, and it getting hydrolocked. that wouldn't be good. also, if using your Y7 TB, get a Y7 TB gasket, and Intake Manifold gasket. The D16Y7 manifold gasket works just fine, no need for the Y8 one. in my opinion the worst part about this swap was dealing with the fuel system. i disconnected my fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail and got gas all over my hands, but at least i had plenty of rags handy. other than that, it's just a matter of figurig out all the hose locations and what goes where since most of everything has to be relocated to accomodate the new intake manifold. here's pics of my motor with the skunk2 IM:

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics009.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics012.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics001.jpg
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics009.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics012.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_rhondapics001.jpg

7. 2000CivicHatch

Start a Conversation
    damn, great info man! thank you so much! did you feel any gain in power after the install?

8. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    yah dude, i did feel a difference in my power, especially with smaller wheels on my car, it picks up speed a lot faster than it used to. it still picks up speed quick with the 17's on too. but i am sure i would feel the power even more if i swapped out the stock exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, maybe for an aftermarket header for a Y8 as well as a high flow cat for a Y8. good luck with the intake manifold swap, let me know how it turns out bro. Aloha.

9. 2000CivicHatch

Start a Conversation
    I've decided that I'm not going to mess with the y7. Here is my plan:

I'm going to leave it bone stock until I graduate college. I'm gonna get a high paying job, then buy myself an S2k. I'll put the Civic on garage insurance and redo EVERYTHING on it. Thats my plan thus far....

10. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    sounds like a really good plan bro, that way you retain your car's reliability. S2K's are really awesome cars. Good luck mang. :rocks:

11. kawasaki9r

kawasaki9r New Member

Start a Conversation
    IM complete

All,

I have put on a Blox IM this weekend. I recommend that you label every single line before you remove anything. I labeled just about everything, but "just about" isn't good enough.

I am now figuring out how I will get the car to start and double checking that I have every hose in the right place (though I probably just got 1 wrong). Label everything and make sure you completely understand your label.

I would also study the car before removing anything and visually line up where things will go on the new IM. there are only about 12 or 13 connections, so take the time.

Also, if you are going to do this, get a Hondata IM gasket and also a throttle body spacer.

Once I get the car running right, I will post step by step instructions. I would say the job will take you about 4 hours if everything goes smoothly.

12. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    i'll try and get a writeup done for ya. in the meantime, try and find a shop manual from your local auto parts or book store:thumbup:

here's a messy photo of the IM...i dunno if you can see some of the hose locations. i'll take more detailed shots on my day off.
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_laveslave_NorthDakota058a.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_laveslave_NorthDakota056.jpg
    ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_laveslave_NorthDakota058a.jpg ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i244_ferio_photos_laveslave_NorthDakota056.jpg

13. kawasaki9r

kawasaki9r New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks

here's a messy photo of the IM...i dunno if you can see some of the hose locations. i'll take more detailed shots on my day off.

---
    Thanks so much for posting the pictures and all the effort. You are awesome!

I know the hose at the back of the IM (large one) I got right, also I know that there are two hoses that come from under the middle of the IM, I think one goes to the top middle on the front of the new IM and I think the one with antifreeze goes to the throttle body, but not 100% sure. Then there is a hose that comes from the IAT (I think that's it) that goes to the other input on the front top? That's what I am confused about.

I might well have the whole thing right, just not 100% sure. I bought new spark plugs last night, so I am going to try replacing them and see what happens. I did find that the plugs were wet, so maybe I just have some fluid in there I need to clean out. When I get it right, I will post a detailed write up and also put a video on youtube with a link to my write up.

14. Chaos Performance

Chaos Performance New Member

Start a Conversation
    where the plugs oil filled or gas filled your spark plugs are your best friend they will tell you exactly what is going on in there. analyze those bad boys every time you change them. and make a mental note of what they looked like before and after any mods so you can tell what has happened if something goes wrong.

15. kawasaki9r

kawasaki9r New Member

Start a Conversation
    The plugs distinctly smelled like gas, I think because I cranked it so many times it must have flooded. The other theory I have is based on the fact that I had accidently hooked an antifreeze line to the IM, I might have gotten some antifreeze/water into the head too, so I was advised to disconnect the fuel supply take out the plugs and crank it over to dry out the engine. Then I will hook the plugs and fuel up again and give it a whirl with new plugs. The current plugs looked in decent shape other than being wet, but i thought I would change them anyway, because I have about 20,000 miles on them.

16. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    sorry about the lack of pics or info, i been busy. but hey, i also forgot to mention that you can also check out d-series.org and do a search on this topic. there is plenty of info about this particular IM swap on there.:D

17. kawasaki9r

kawasaki9r New Member

Start a Conversation
    Thanks for all your help. I didn't find anything on that site. I am going to do a wite up and tell everyone where each and every vacuum line and hose goes...once I have it all down, because everything else says "label" each, but someone who hasn't basically will have trouble finding something to reference out there.

18. kawasaki9r

kawasaki9r New Member

Start a Conversation
    Back on the road

The Del Sol is finally running. I did what my auto repair class teacher advised. I disconnected the main relay (located under the driver side dash all the way in the back), I pulled out the spark plugs and cranked the engine, then put in new plugs. It's running like a charm.

I will put up pictures and maybe even link a youtube video.

One thing I would advise: Don't buy 3A Racing vacuum lines...they don't work. I put them in and one is collapsing inward because it can't take the vacuum strength (kind of like if you suck the air out of a balloon or suck on a straw with the other side closed. They are junk, stick with the stock or something similar. I wanted to dress up the engine with red lines, but these are obviously not the way to go.

19. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    werd, glad to hear you got it up and running. sorry i couldn't be of more help to you... work, the wife, and my house has been keeping me busy. and yes, steer clear of the cheap hoses. i dunno if samco makes vaccum hoses...but the oem type ones from like Checkers or whateverz works great. keep up the good work.:thumbup:

20. kawasaki9r

kawasaki9r New Member

Start a Conversation
    Next Project???

All,

Now that I am done with my IM, I am trying to think of what to do next. This weekend I took out the air vents and painted them red...it adds a bit of color to the otherwise black interior. The middle vent, the two round ones on the corners and the ones on the top corners of the dash for the side defrost. They just pop out really easily...then I pulled the center adjustable parts out and painted them, put them back together and reinstalled them.

In the next week or so, I am going to paint my rotors/calipers and drums. I will do before and after pics of those as well and post them. I went to Pepboys and they have specific "caliper paint". Nice.

Anyone know if a fuel rail is a worthwhile investment if you just have an IM, short ram and full exhaust? I am thinking it's probably not needed.

I also got paint to do the valve cover, so I guess the next round of projects are asethetic rather than performance enhancing.

Anyone have ideas for minor performance enhancements?

I feel a major difference in the throttle response with the new IM. Once I get to the track, I'll see if it does better than the 17.8 seconds I previously recorded and I'll report back on that too.

I got